The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4: Tweaks & Fixes:

Bikerdude

You're probably right, but that won't be happening for a while, I'm afraid. Mine handles Dishonored and TDM, which are the only things I really play these days anyway.

Well, some tweaks are getting deleted at the Eidos board...

Yes, sadly, I tried to follow the disable shroud link because mbForceHideCloakEffect=1; isn't working for me. Do I have to begin a new game for this too?

@Bikerdude: Thanks for posting. The switch to 32Bit really helped me. You might want to have a look into SweetFX as well to sharpen textures and get rid of the grey filter?

sharpen textures: http://sfx.thelazy.n...es/preset/1305/

no filter: http://sfx.thelazy.n...es/preset/1309/

Edit: Ah, it worked for me when I switched the level.

Edited by Radiant

What were they deleting?

Read this thread for more info http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143411

But apparently they deleted the thread on disabling the shroud on the official forums. If that's true I wonder the reasons behind that

Trying to control your experience even though they have your money already, probably.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Read this thread for more info http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=143411

But apparently they deleted the thread on disabling the shroud on the official forums. If that's true I wonder the reasons behind that

Apparently the reason is that we're not allowed to alter their software without their permission...yet a ton of ini tweaks still remain that remove videos, or tweak performance in one way or another. The shroud is singled out.

Doesn't say much for the Community Building this Ultimate Thief Mod was supposed to help with. You can't expect to build a relationship with your Modding community when you go around deleting their work. EM would have had a field day deleting my minimalist project posts back in the day. They never would have allowed it to be released.

I knew it. They must have some kind of contractual obligation to include the shroud.

Doesn't say much for the Community Building this Ultimate Thief Mod was supposed to help with. You can't expect to build a relationship with your Modding community when you go around deleting their work.

I now regret not objecting to this BS alliance right from the start, everything surrounding this situation just stinks.. I am now of the mind that we should inform Eidos/SU that we don't want to be associated with them, period.

Has anyone even heard anything about the contest beyond the failed/fucked up announcement..?

I knew it. They must have some kind of contractual obligation to include the shroud.

Consider the evidence:

1. The Shroud is almost universally disliked at E3. Eidos refuses to remove it, but reduces it so much that "you barely notice it".

2. Eidos gives options to remove virtually every HUD element. But no option is given to remove the shroud despite repeated requests from the community.

3. No one at EM will (or can) give a clear answer about exactly the shroud actually DOES.

4. No one can seem to give a reason why the shroud is necessary if you have the lightgem on.

5. Thief lists something called "Shroud -- Cloth Physics" during their intro screen.

6. The manual describes all HUD elements, but does not mention the shroud at all.

7. When players find a way to remove the shroud, the method is pulled by EM mods, while other modifications are not touched.

Hmmmmm....

Maybe the shroud.... is actually a built in NSA monitoring system. Each time the shroud is active it is recording you and uploading data to United States servers.....

qFo6KKP.jpg

I now regret not objecting to this BS alliance right from the start, everything surrounding this situation just stinks.. I am now of the mind that we should inform Eidos/SU that we don't want to be associated with them, period.

Has anyone even heard anything about the contest beyond the failed/fucked up announcement..?

I don't know who is responsible for having the posts taken down...EM or Square. It's hard to know really since one side doesn't seem to know what the other is doing.

I don't know who is responsible for having the posts taken down...EM or Square. It's hard to know really since one side doesn't seem to know what the other is doing.

The moderator confessed to deleting them out of her own personal choice... A very odd decision to make in the middle of a modding contest that "promotes" communities modding their games. Also the shroud was the only one singled out whilst an entire sticky'd post of ini configs is there. And another thing.. an ini file is barely on the radar of modifying a game I mean c'mon ...

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1990860&postcount=49

Again, this was my decision, not EMs. tongue.png

As its the weekend and we're unlikely to hear from Freyja until Monday, I have restored the posts... so carry on. My head might still be on the guillotine either way. biggrin.png

Just to clarify. It wasn't "my own personal choice...", it was down to my own personal understanding of part of the Materials Usage Policy.

I explained the situation in that thread as best I could.

If you wish to froth, snarl and hate on me, carry on. No need to take it out on EM. :D

EM has already failed in my eyes with the handling of anything Thief related (DXHR was great though) so I don't think my opinion could get worse.

My personal confusion was just as to why it was specifically out of all the available ini posts just the one about shroud.. it was obviously singled out and that's what made it strange. I mean if all were pulled down that would be strange to but yeah.

My personal confusion was just as to why it was specifically out of all the available ini posts just the one about shroud.. it was obviously singled out and that's what made it strange. I mean if all were pulled down that would be strange to but yeah.

I guess it would seem that way... but to be honest, I spent little time on the forum that day (because I'm playing the game) and that just happened to be one of the threads I briefly viewed; hence the action.

Just to clarify. It wasn't "my own personal choice...", it was down to my own personal understanding of part of the Materials Usage Policy.

I explained the situation in that thread as best I could.

If you wish to froth, snarl and hate on me, carry on. No need to take it out on EM. :D

I could understand if the files were copy protected by some sort of proprietary file format, but .ini files are left open for a reason, they're meant to be freely tweaked. Even the upk files that I posted some modding tools for are considered fair game. Modifying the program executable is normally supposed to be off limits, but even that was overlooked with all the Thief games. Generally though, if you can open a file in wordpad, edit and save it...then there should be no issues. If the devs or Square don't want anyone messing with them, they should be encrypted and saved in a proprietary format.

Yes, fair enough, NH. You are the expert and I respect your knowledge on the matter, thank you.

Yes, fair enough, NH. You are the expert and I respect your knowledge on the matter, thank you.

I'm no expert, but from 15 years experience in the community I can tell you that if EM or Square were to kick up a fuss over simple ini file tweaking, there would be fires and pitchforks aplenty! :)

Can anyone explain what that shroud thingy is, you are talking about? I'm about to install thief right now, but I'm not sure if I can play it.

The installer says I don't have enough RAM having only 3GB, while I have 4GB installed. So the minimum requirement of 4GB, means 4GB left free, which would mean the minimum specs require more than 4GB installed?

Gerhard

I'm no expert, but from 15 years experience in the community I can tell you that if EM or Square were to kick up a fuss over simple ini file tweaking, there would be fires and pitchforks aplenty! :)

@Viktoria, the general rule is to do nothing unless instructed by a superior. If you don't know what to do and want to take action, ask. At the minimum you should consider your actions prior to any action, or risk throwing an entire community in to an uproar and possibly being singled out/fired.

Something tells me there is something afoot. "Haha. I think you ought to aim the fire and pitchforks my way.... for now. :D" Smiley? Really?

The instructions are already there in the ToU and the Usage Policy; the general rule is that mods do what they think they must do to ensure the rules and policies are respected.

By your logic, that would mean you expect mods to leave spam, personal insults, torrent links and whatever else, blah blah, on the forum until instructed by a superior to remove it.

I did ask, don't worry... but as its the weekend, there was nobody in the office; so I deleted "just in case". This happens with all sorts of threads and posts.

Either way, posts are only ever soft-deleted; meaning they can be restored easily enough. No biggie; honestly/

Haha, no I meant please do prod and stab me with those pitchforks "for now" - meaning until you get bored. :D

The instructions are already there in the ToU and the Usage Policy; the general rule is that mods do what they think they must do to ensure the rules and policies are respected.

By your logic, that would mean you expect mods to leave spam, personal insults, torrent links and whatever else, blah blah, on the forum until instructed by a superior to remove it.

Apples - is editing flat files in the ToU? --we can also file this under "things EM can sue other people for"

Oranges - spam/personal insults/torrent links/ whatever else --we also file this under "things other people can sue EM for"

Yeah.... that's my... logic... yeah. It almost seems like what I stated and what you stated are diametrically opposed.

Ouch... your particular pitchfork is very sharp. Haha. :D

Look, I'm not here to argue with anyone. I've explained the situation.... take from it what you will.