The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Speed Runs

Airship Ballet

(I'm startin' these over because the compression on the previous ones was annoying me)

Well, after a couple of months of fun I've played through every fan mission in the in-game downloader to date. I've been dead-set on playing through again with some different styles for a while, and one such style is speed-running with 100% loot (the other is 0 stealth score, coming soon). I'm gonna post my runs in here as they happen, and if somebody wants to try and beat my time they can feel free to post their own video or a screenshot of the mission stats screen.

If you have a run of any kind of your own, let me know and I'll add it below.

SPEED RUNS

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 4

I may well do, once I've played any particular one long enough that it becomes muscle memory. That way there'll be no human error like messing up that little coin box. I swear the most strenuous thing to do quickly is getting loot out of containers that open and close. Oh, and picking locks. It takes so much restraint to wait and not jump at the first dip in volume of the pins clicking.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I may well do, once I've played any particular one long enough that it becomes muscle memory. That way there'll be no human error like messing up that little coin box. I swear the most strenuous thing to do quickly is getting loot out of containers that open and close. Oh, and picking locks. It takes so much restraint to wait and not jump at the first dip in volume of the pins clicking.

I completely agree with this.

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

• 3 months later...

Having just watched you do your blind run of my FM with all loot and a better stealth score than I usually manage (among ~8-10 attempted ghost runs), you seem like an excellent candidate to tackle these sorts of challenges. I'll enjoy watching them!

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Having just watched you do your blind run of my FM with all loot and a better stealth score than I usually manage (among ~8-10 attempted ghost runs), you seem like an excellent candidate to tackle these sorts of challenges. I'll enjoy watching them!

D'aww shucks, thanks ^_^

Hoho! Looks like I have a reason to replay one of my favorite missions to date

tumblr_lmf0jbCgLd1qkiqdko1_500.gif

Yeah, I consider myself a good Thief player, and there have been times when I've seen others complain about the challenge of certain Thief games or levels being too hard and I didn't know what the big deal was. I also tend to silently critique playthrough videos if I think I could do better. But, like, even knowing that it takes some repetition, I just watched your Alberic's run and I doubt I could replicate it. I also kinda smiled in shame as you got a couple pieces of loot in my FM with no trouble (on the table with the elite circling it). I've done it a few times, but usually muck it up. And it was your first run.

Anyway, don't let me inflate your ego any more. Keep 'em coming!

Edited by Digi
  • Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

I also kinda smiled in shame as you got a couple pieces of loot in my FM with no trouble (on the table with the elite circling it). I've done it a few times, but usually muck it up.

I judged the timing/light too risky, so just let the guy be distracted in the other room, shut the door and collected in piece.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I judged the timing/light too risky, so just let the guy be distracted in the other room, shut the door and collected in piece.

Ha, awesome! Yeah, that's the trickiest portion. It's not a necessity to get that loot, even on Difficult, but the completionists can have some fun with it.

Updated the OP with The Beleaguered Fence

One of my favs, yet there were a couple things I hadn't seen in it before, props to you!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Not very stealthy.......... But fast! :blink:

Whether or not I'm stealthy depends on the map. If it's nice and open like yours, and there are places where I can lose the horde of angry bucket-heads after me, be it a drop or a lockable door, I'll happily alert everybody to get a good time. If, like Alberic's Curse, it's all tiny corridors just wide enough for the AI to path through, getting seen before it's time to leave is essentially a game over.

Wow! You shoot a mighty precise water arrow :) One of my faves too, so satisfying when I finally managed to complete it (I'm less effective than you with a water arrow or a blackjack, to put it mildly).

Well to be fair, most of them were point blank. I agree, too: I've been fairly lucky in doing them alphabetically because Alberic's Curse and this are in my top ten for sure. My favorite's Crystal Grave for a multitude of reasons, but I've never seen it too highly ranked in others' lists.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

Would love to see a speed run of my mission builder roads. The only let's play I've seen was from a guy (from the forum, forgot his name), that was overhelmingly shy in proceeding. Besides the fact that the mission is a bit buggy, I think it can be handled in 15 minutes.

Oh, and Too Late by Nielson is perfect for a speed run.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Would love to see a speed run of my mission builder roads. The only let's play I've seen was from a guy (from the forum, forgot his name), that was overhelmingly shy in proceeding.

Here's my blind run bearing in mind I'd only just started TDM. The speed run will be fairly soon, given that I'm going alphabetically. I enjoyed Builder Roads, the way you kept it open but still fairly easy to find your way through. Bit of a key hunt though, booo =P

I don't get the Beleguered Fence run -- you didn't go "downstairs" underground, so how does that count as a complete run?

That would be a 100% run, which is a speed-running term for doing/collecting everything. This is an Any% run, meaning you do whatever you can to beat it as fast as you can, regardless of completion.

tumblr_lmf0jbCgLd1qkiqdko1_500.gif

As you've already seen, I beat you by just about 14 seconds. I'm absolutely certain it can't be done on Thief difficulty in under 6 minutes. Edit: without causing a ruckus, that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjJwaD_Nsk

Edited by MasterHelpo
  • Like 1

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

• 1 month later...

Spiderman...Spiderman

But seriously, how often did you play the mission before it worked out like that? :D

It's definetely entertaining to see.

Please try this with one of my missions, everybody's complaining they are difficult. I wanna see you beat them in less than  10 minutes ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter