The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cleighmoor (by grayman) (2014/3/1)

grayman

Cleighmoor  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Excellent mission. No "complaint" about the visuals for me this time. Lots of patrol routes, there's a high guard count for a TDM FM, which is great. I'll have to replay it but this might become my new favorite.

@Deadlove

I think it's just sitting around in the evidence vault.

Edited by Briareos H

Just finished this one. LOVED it. It was not only fun to play - very Thiefy - but the story was interesting. Loved all the optional objectives (though I accidentally ended the mission on myself at one point by running out of the abandoned house to explore. Reloaded and got a 'closed but open' glitch. heh) and I liked being able to help people. Squeal on the warden, find the map for this historian, free the prisoner, NOT freeing the dangerous prisoners (though that took some experimentation!). And all the little 'sub-stories' going on. Made it alive and interesting.

The Well was rather interesting too. Odd, but interesting. It was a nice switch not to have to sneak around.

I DID miss the sword also. Reloaded and looked for it again today and finally found it. Duh. If it had teeth it probably would have bit me. *coughs*

All in all, it was great fun. :) Thank you!

NOT freeing the dangerous prisoners (though that took some experimentation!)

A "registry" sits on the desk in the lobby. You can either be bold, and read it the normal way while in the lobby, or be sneaky and read it through the hatch that's above it, using your spyglass.

Either way, it tells you which inmates are dangerous, and which cell Grady is in.

That there is a registry is revealed in another readable elsewhere.

Excellent mission. No "complaint" about the visuals for me this time. Lots of patrol routes, there's a high guard count for a TDM FM, which is great. I'll have to replay it but this might become my new favorite.

@Deadlove

I think it's just sitting around in the evidence vault.

I'll recheck, I must've missed it. I was thinking it may have been on sleeping Yarling because the convo in the beginning said that the one guard didn't keep it and Yarling got it. I guess he took it to evidence after all.

This mission is superb! I've not finished it yet -- well I did, but only by getting to the finish line by accident before finding

the well or the map or the key to the dig trapdoor

so I have plenty to do on my next run. The freedom and multiple objectives are great, something I'll try to emulate in any mission I make. Your cell block again makes my attempts to use wood and brick textures look so shabby <_< Getting past the guards in the sewer and exterior was stressful and rewarding, and prompted me to use some of the tools for once, when I had to pass back and forth through that area a few times looking for stuff. Great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest later this evening!

Grayman I tried to pick that map up but it would not highlight? I tried from the floor and on top of the table with no luck. you are talking about the very long table in the library? tried the

dream part

twice

Edited by pwl

@pwl

There are two maps on the long table near where you enter that library.

One of the maps can't be frobbed.

The other is the map Sewell wants. It's the closest one to the door. If you can't get it to highlight, move around until it does. Yours is the first report of being unable to frob the map, so I have to attribute it to you not being in the right spot. (Or maybe you're trying to pick up the unfrobable map nearby.)

If you go back and there's only one map on the table, check your inventory and look for a map called "Temple Map". If it's in your inventory, then you grabbed it on a previous run.

I am sorry it was in my inventory all the time? just don't remember picking it up! Anyway Fantastic mission and I can't wait to continue the series Thanks for all of your hard work you are indeed talented!!

really fun to play. What pissed me off is the scrolls that make you feel guilty for looting things, but you did make the loot goal optional so that was cool.

There was even one text where the guy was supposedly going to get beaten to death if you take the loot that he needs to pay some criminal with

, I had to restart because I had already taken it before reading. really well laid out map, lots of fun secrets,balanced amount of starting equipment and I enjoy the narrative a lot.Also have to mention there was a lot of objectives which I personally like. Thank you grayman

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d

Yes, since Steele isn't a cold-hearted thief (will he always be this way? :ph34r: ), there are situations where he might decide NOT to take something.

In the North had some of these morality decisions, and I've continued that idea in Home Again and Cleighmoor.

But, as always, players play how they want. Some will take the loot. Some will leave it. I love the story of Springheel, during beta testing, leaving a health potion beside the sick guard's bed in In the North. It's feedback like that that shows how involved players become in the story.

FWIW, WS4 will have none of these decisions. Steele is headed into the Warrens, where killing and thieving fits the plot.

oh wow I'm going to have to go back and play the north again, but I vaguely remember dropping the health potion back down. If you go past a certain point does the guard actually die? I really do like this method of story telling don't get me wrong it's just I'm too used to looting everything I find.

I found a bit of a bug , I just went through the sheriff's office then into the records room then back to loot all his stuff cause I found out he's a scumbag. Anyway it keeps failing me cause it says I killed someone when I haven't killed anyone so I have to restart now.It happens when I

go into the tunnel under his office

and loading doesn't fix it.

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d

I have no explanation for that. Don't know who's getting killed. Perhaps someone elsewhere in the map is getting killed somehow. Unfortunately, this is handled by a script, and 2.01 doesn't offer a way to tell if the player is responsible for a death. That'll be fixed in 2.02.

Maybe someone fell in some water and drowned.

Hopefully you have a previous savegame you can back up to.

restarted and beat it was excellent and that

dream sequence was brilliant

. the sewer part kinda angered me cause there was 3 dudes near the elevator but after you get past that the gameplay feels smooth and has nice pace.

sidebar:

What's the proper way to use flashmines? I thought I could just drop them but that doesn't seem to activate them.

An excellent mission of the sort I enjoy playing most. the only optional I didn't find for some reason was

framing the warder. Whatever I dropped in Benson's room didn't tick the option off. I'd previously bumped off the Lt after he attacked me so maybe that was why.

Thank you for all the time spent making it so enjoyable.