The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cleighmoor (by grayman) (2014/3/1)

grayman

Cleighmoor  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Played through again on hardest with difficulty on hardcore/hardcore and ghosted with no knockouts.

No real problems - the sewers were surprisingly straight forward

Just one problem

I failed the mission three times on the no kill objective

Once in the underground area (via the well) - a reload fixed it

Twice in the sewers on the way back - while waiting for a guard to pass. The third time I went a bit further into the sewer near the end and it didn't happen

I have to assume that somebody committed suicide :unsure:

Finished this one as well. Fantastic mission. I was expecting the Cleighmoor mansion to be easy like the City Watch station in WS2, but it was very tense a lot of the time. Storytelling was great, though I found it a bit weird that like 3 objectives were completed at the same time because they were all in the evidence room.

I have a question: is there any other way to leave than going back through the sewers? That's what I did, but I looked for an easier way out first, but couldn't find one.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

@161...,

Thanks for playing. Glad you enjoyed it.

As for leaving ...

In his journal, Warden Fielder mentions a secret tunnel to an abandoned house on the street. He uses it when he wants to leave Cleighmoor to visit his mistress. If you were to use this tunnel before satisfying all objectives, you would find several guards in the way, and a locked, unpickable front door on the house. If you've satisfied all objectives, the guards have left, the door is ajar, and you can exit onto the street outside Cleighmoor. A passing civilian may or may not greet you. The fact that the civilian is allowed to walk on the street unmolested is to indicate that the nightly curfew has been lifted. The mission will end at that point.

As a bonus for exiting this way, you can pick up Fielder's 'stash' which he's been accumulating. This is mentioned in the journal.

As to where to find the entrance to the tunnel, I'll leave that to you, should you choose to revisit the mission. And if you can't find it, come back here and I'll provide a hint.

Open the spoilers below, which give progressive hints to finding it.

There are hints in the readables that Fielder has a secret room connected to his office. The Lieutenant is trying to find it. He's borrowed a measuring stick from the maintenance crew (which is why they can't complete the work on the prisoner cell and are going off to the Southside Bear Fights). He wants to measure the office and the rooms around it to find the missing space, which he expects to be the secret room.

Search the bookcase in Fielder's office.

There's a sliding book switch on Fielder's bookcase. It moves his award certificate, exposing some elevator buttons.

The elevator goes down to his secret room, in which you'll find a locked trunk holding his journal.

Read the journal.

Note that the elevator buttons in the secret room hint there's another floor below the secret room. Take the elevator down.

Follow the tunnel up into the abandoned house.

• 2 months later...

I'm loving the William Steele series so far. Excellent map in this one with challenging guard patrols to get past - especially the ones with the darn torches! I played it on the hardest setting and found the difficulty to be perfectly balanced. I ended the game with every guard on alert and had to use every trick in my bag of goods to make it out alive - very exciting!

What exactly is supposed to happen in the well? I didn't go in there my first time with the mission...I went in this time, and besides the very cool soft smoke particles, I didn't see anything unusual. I assume something somewhat unique is supposed to happen in there...does it have to be triggered by some action I didn't read carefully about? I just want to rule out a 2.03 problem.

What exactly is supposed to happen in the well? I didn't go in there my first time with the mission...I went in this time, and besides the very cool soft smoke particles, I didn't see anything unusual. I assume something somewhat unique is supposed to happen in there...does it have to be triggered by some action I didn't read carefully about? I just want to rule out a 2.03 problem.

There's no interaction with the AI, but you do find something you can pick up in one of the rooms, that lets you fulfil an optional objective.

I just finished playing Cleighmoor in 2.03 too but I didn't think to look out for the particles. I have a well savegame so I'll go take another look :). The thing in the well was working fine.

Are you supposed to throw something into the well? And what does the well key do? The only door I found down there was unlocked.

I jumped into the well and went as far down as I could go, but couldn't see anything even with my lantern on.

I jumped into the well and went as far down as I could go, but couldn't see anything even with my lantern on.

It's very murky, but there is a passage leading horizontally away from the bottom of the well shaft. No further complications once you've found it.

• 4 months later...

Is there a hack to get around the dead guard bug? I noticed there's a console command to remove all NPCs but that's too drastic. Is there a way to make all NPCs unkillable?

I don't think so. I've played Cleighmoor at least half a dozen times though, without ever seeing the bug, so I wouldn't let it stop you playing. And a quickload will probably cure it even if some random guard does fall off a wall to his death somewhere in the map. I think Oldjim was just unlucky.

Sorry about the bug. It's fixed in the update I'm working on, but until then there's no way I know of of getting around it. As SteveL suggests, relying on savegames should get you through. It's sort of rare, and didn't bite me or my beta testers at all, otherwise I would've fixed it in the initial release.

Thanks for the reply. I seem to get the bug consistently. The first time I got it I was able to defer it for a few minutes by quickloading, but then as I made progress and saved the bug seemed to get more and more locked in. Eventually I wound up with a save where the guard dies about 4 seconds after loading. I think I tried reloading that save twice and got the same result. (Maybe this save would be useful to you for debugging?)

Then I tried a new playthrough and got the same bug in what felt like the same amount of progress. I can't remember if I tried quickloading, I may have just given up.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem.

I don't need a savegame; the problem is already identified and fixed in the update. I'd offer you the update, but it requires TDM 2.04 to run, so it won't be released until after 2.04 is released.

It's probably best that you set Cleighmoor aside and wait for the update. It'll be a while, and hopefully by then it won't seem as much of a PITA to start over.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing trio of FMs. Congrats on outstanding work. Thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 and I'm almost done with the 3rd. Wow.

I did come across a couple of bugs...

One was that I failed the mission because I had killed someone, which I hadn't. I just bj everyone that I can. No I didn't bj him several times cos I know that kills.

Second bug was that a couple of times when a guard was going to enter/leave a room and I just happened to open/close that door, he'd start walking in circles.

Other than that the fm played really well.

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png