The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cleighmoor (by grayman) (2014/3/1)

grayman

Cleighmoor  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Thanks for playing! Glad you like it so far.

The entrance to the Well is across from the gallows. You'll need a key to get past the door.

The death bug will be addressed in the next rev.

AI will sometimes get hung up on doors.

Ok as usual, I found the well just after posting...never fails lol

I just finished playing. Absolutely amazing. My top fms. I loved the detail of the breath fogging in the cold. That was awesome. I loved a lot of little details that showed up here and there. You are really good at this. I will be keeping my eyes open for your next fm. Cant wait.

Thank you so much

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

• 5 months later...

Another very good mission in this series.

I wavered between voting good and excellent on 'story' because it's a good story but having spent the last few years learning the craft of writing fiction, I now realise how very difficult it is to present immersive story details in a game like this. So, it was hard to remember all the details or form a more complete story 'image' in mind. I don't know what the answer is to gain 'excellence.'. However, I definitely felt myself within a story, grasped the main points, and enjoyed it. The readables were well-written but I did feel inclined to skim the longer ones and get on with the game. Goes with the territory I guess.

The surreal section was fascinating and I wish I'd realised I'd already got the map! I would have explored it more thoroughly. Don't know if I missed anything.

At one point near the end I got a spontaneous failed mission from a death. No idea who or why because I heard nothing.

After playing 3/4ths I discovered one of those round metal plates was openable! I'd seen loads of those so don't know if I'd missed any others.

I completed all objectives but was surprised I couldn't view them after the end of the mission, ie, along with stats, to make sure all optionals were done. I did find an auto save just before end of mission so I could view them that way, still... I guess technically once the mission has ended its like a quit so the objectives are not there anymore.

Good mission, look forward to the rest of the series. :)

• 9 months later...

Great mission. Liked it more than Home Again. The pacing is appropriate and the atmosphere fittingly putting on pressure. Especially the warrens.

Was anything special supposed to have happened in the warrens by the grave? Any haunts or rising undead or such? The anticipation is killing.

Should've come here to read the instruction for low end PC's. The fact that TDM doesn't use multicore processors is a killer for a weak laptop. Probably was the cause of a nasty crash.

About the only complaint of something useful to say would be a suggestion for the compound to be a little wider, once Cleighmoor is actually reached. Felt claustrophobic.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 year later...

grayman, another great mission, this must be my 2nd time playing it as I'm replaying the series before playing 4 for the first time.

However, with respect to the dream part, please think twice before you script FOV changes. In my case, I was starting to get a slight headache or feeling of tension in my eyes as the FOV went very low. I can normally stomach 60 deg, but this was really bad. I remember just stopping and waiting for it to oscillate back before continuing.

When I read complaints regarding FOV online from other games, the culprit is typically the FOV being too low, not too high. Maybe set the min FOV to the users current one?

Many suffer from motion sickness in games, can't imagine what that stint in the dream did to them or would do to one.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/19/video-games-makes-me-sick

Anyway, time to go back in time to visit Braeden Church again :)

Map Showing Entrance To Great Hall

I can't find this map. It must be somewhere before The Great Hall Of The Ancients because it makes no sense to place it within the Great Hall. I DID come across an unfrobable map on the long table in the library room within the Great Hall, but that can't be it since I can't pick it up. I have the Sewer Map and the 2 Floor Maps in my inventory. Neither can be "placed" so Sewell can find them. So it has to be a different map somewhere.

Also, I knocked out Sewell a while back, so he will never find the map until/unless he regains consciousness. Does that negate the objective ticking off regardless on whether I find the map and drop it where he would find it.

The Temple Map was what I needed and I found it in my inventory, but not by the other maps (which is a lame explanation but beats being self identified as stupid). Knocking out Sewell doesn't affect the Objective being ticked off either.

Edited by CountMorillonite

• 4 months later...

the problem is already identified and fixed in the update. I'd offer you the update, but it requires TDM 2.04 to run, so it won't be released until after 2.04 is released.

Dear grayman,

what's the actual status of the update? I downloaded WS3 yesterday and it reads 'Version 1, released 2014'.

Unfortunately, I also encounter the suicide problem...can't play more than few dozen of seconds without AI suicide.

The link to fixed map on dropbox doesn't work either.

Please, help me I seriously need to find William parents' murderer !!!

Many thanks in advance ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I more or less completed this one last weekend. I say more or less, because although I reached the Mission Complete screen, I didn't find the hall of the ancients or the map, which sounds like it might have been interesting.

Based on what I did see:

• The initial sewer section was possibly my favourite area yet. I particularly like underground areas and this one felt very realistic (not that I have any idea what a "real" sewer would look like), with a noticeable Half-Life 2 feel. The heavy locked gates were impressive and gave the impression that you were trapped in part of a much larger whole, which added to the believability.
  • Perhaps a few too many helmeted guards for my taste, although strangely some of them (but not all) could be knocked out. Although given that this is a prison it makes sense to have heightened security, and I did get some good use out of my gas arrows.
  • The "horn-like" ambient music which plays when you first enter the compound, although decent in quality, is really loud. Even with my ambient slider set to 50% it seemed overpowering, while turning up to 100% it became deafening. I would suggest the volume could come down by a good -6 in the sound shader to bring it into line with other ambients.
  • I never worked out the significance of the well (although I really liked the wooden ramps on the stairs — a nice architectural detail which added a lot of interest to what could have been a very boring corridor). Since there was a guard in there I assume it must have been important, but although I knocked him out and swam around in the water I couldn't find anything at all.
  • Ditto with the measuring stick. One thing I've noticed in your missions is that if something is mentioned in a readable it is almost certainly important, but I never found a measuring stick or worked out why it was significant.

Perhaps I'll have another go and see if I can find that secret hall. Maybe it has something to do with the well.

• Like 1

Spoiler

If you swim in the well, go all the way to the bottom. You'll find a swimmable tunnel.

The measuring stick is just an "aside". IIRC, the Lt. "borrowed" it to measure the area around the Warden's office, trying to find a secret room. Naturally, this pissed off the construction guys.

If I re-release, I'll tend to the ambient volume.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another great mission. Not a big fan of the sewer section (I rarely am a fan of sewer sections :D), but the prison was fun. Finished it with 5600 gold, not sure where I would even begin to look for more.

Is the

Spoiler

vacant house with the secret exit part of this map? If so how do you get there?

Also it was adorable how the guards loved their little carousel, didn´t even notice me so much did they enjoy themselves!

Edited by blaa

2 hours ago, blaa said:

Another great mission. Not a big fan of the sewer section (I rarely am a fan of sewer sections :D), but the prison was fun. Finished it with 5600 gold, not sure where I would even begin to look for more.

Is the

Hide contents

vacant house with the secret exit part of this map? If so how do you get there?

Spoiler

The vacant house with the guards playing cards?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a longer period I returned back to TDM and continued where I stopped recently.
The sewer part was tough, I felt really lost and hated the guards and their lanterns.
But then I realized I had a map 🙂

The other part (gallows, barracks and offices and ) is beautifully designed, large and
complex. Hardly could learn the layout, many times found myself being lost 🙂
Enjoyed it a lot, but again these damn guards....

The only issue so far - I was able to find my way out and because all the required
objectives have been accomplished, I suddenly completed the mission!!!
Truly, I felt odd by not completing all the optional objectives so I decided to load
my last save and return back....

Oh boy, what I would have missed if I didn't return back!!!
The 'Ancients' part emblazoned with a portion of mystery was absolutely surprising,
unexpected and I went through holding my breath for the whole time.
What a disappointment, that all this is just optional and one is able to complete the
mission without revealing the secret of the Ancients....
Until then, the mission was perfect and beautiful. After the sleep (no spoiler, or?),
I'm even more excited and lot of things became clear....

Yes, going to install WS4 immediately....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year!

I've just begun replaying the WS series for the third time, and I'm having trouble with the game freezing, or crashing to the desktop, right after the second conversation in the compound finishes. (The conversation where the man wearing a straw hat talks about a map, and a new objective arrives.)

What I've done so far is to delete the files from fms folder, and re download them through the in game downloader.

I've also applied the patch called "ws3_cleighmoor.map".

I've used a save game from before the crash and backtraced through the sewer to make sure that all doors were closed.

I'm on Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04) 64bit Cinnamon, and TDM is "Version2.08 File thedarkmod.x64"

As said it's not the first time I play this mission, and the hardware is the same;

Intel i7 cpu, Intel chipset, 16gb ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 using driver version 450.80.02.

I have encountered the occasional crash to desktop from time to time, but not a lot, and with the 64 bit version of TDM, it runs really well generally.

I'm now going to start over WS3 with a newly downloaded version, and not using old save games.

EDIT: After re downloading WS3, and starting a new, I'm getting the same result; game freezes just as the Map objective arrives.

Edited by Woodsie69
Information added