The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Inn Business by RJFerret (2014/03/03)

RJFerret

Stuck in the third part: How do you collect the payment?

My condolences you got stuck!

First, did you place the markers from inventory?

"Collect payment after all vulnerabilities are marked.

If so, check your objectives, are they all checked off and new objectives appeared?

If not, a marker might've rolled/physically moved away from where you initially placed it, no worries, it can simply be picked up and moved back into place. Once they all are in place, it won't matter, as the objective is "locked"/done then and we move on.

Did you read the note posted all over outside, facing you at start that night, and did it make sense?

"...you may procure your reward from where you obtained draughts of vitality last night"

This means where you got the health potions the previous night.

There is no objective related to loot the third night.

So check that all the markers are in place, then you'll get new objectives and can go after the payment in a location you already know (so everyone and his brother doesn't see the posters and try to take your payment).

G'luck!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Bit of a bug? In the first mission while trying to find the skeleton key. . .I found it

under the bust/loot on the top of the bookcase

But after jumping around like a mad thing, climbing up from the side, and finally running upstairs to get a bundle of something from the storeroom to stand on. . .

the key isn't frobable? No highlight, clicking around like crazy won't let me pick it up. . .its just. . .stuck there. Or am I missing something obvious?

Having lots of fun so far. I've found one 'hidden' objective - which was easy to complete. Cute! :)

the 'good doll deed' objective

The candles in the

mage's room - had me a bit baffled for a bit. As did the fact he got up and walked through a wall into the other room, then out of that room and back into the room I was in at one point when I accidentally rattled a candle too loudly. o.O Very weird thing for him to do. I did figure the candles were his work, though. . .and got around it by tipping them both over and putting them in the other room. At which point they keep alternating going out and lighting up. lol

• Like 1

Edit: Patch uploaded to resolve this.

Bit of a bug? In the first mission while trying to find the skeleton key. . .I found it

But after jumping around like a mad thing, climbing up from the side, and finally running upstairs to get a bundle of something from the storeroom to stand on. . .

the key isn't frobable? No highlight, clicking around like crazy won't let me pick it up. . .its just. . .stuck there. Or am I missing something obvious?

Oh no, that sounds like a very, very bad bug. :-( The good news is it's also very rare, has something to do with timing I believe, I thought I had it all taken care of when I added a significant delay but... I'm sorry, the only solution will be to restart, as saves prior to this point won't be frobable either.

Odds are the key will show up in a different place, but even if it doesn't, it should be frobable. I'm sorry that happened, I totally believed it was fixed and since "fixing it" had not been able to get it to fail (be non-frobable) again. :-(

Totally weird the guy going through the wall though, although apropos I suppose.

Yay on the doll deed! :-)

That's the first report of discovering an objective, yes, that one's kind of lying out there in the open. ;-) The others aren't so apparent.

Again though...*sigh...my condolences the key bugged and will require restarting, I truly thought that couldn't happen anymore (and only had it happen twice in the three months prior to my supposed fix for it). Gah.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Great mission RJ had lots of fun!

The sex scene really caught me off guard

But needless to say lots of really cool ideas in this mission, top job! :)

• Like 2

I uploaded a patch to hopefully resolve this once and for all, update 1.48 uploaded March 8th, 2014, one change: patches key rarely not being frobable in one of it's possible spots

It's currently available from the download link in the first post, https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing, and now updated in the in-game downloader too, thanks Bikerdude!

For those who have already played past the first night/map, there's no change/benefit to updating.

For those who have yet to play, the new version would remove a slight chance of having to restart the first map if this rare bug happened to you.

Edited by RJFerret

Thank you for the patch. :) I'll pop it in and restart the mission sometime today. No worries. At least it was a bug you already knew about, even if it was rare.

Oddly, its the first time I've actually hit a bug in the missions, apart from the whole rat-blocking-the-door thing in one other mission. lol At least you knew how to fix it! The key, I mean, not the rat. :D

I did go exploring for other possible hidden objectives. . .tried to saddle the horse. I got it on him loosely, but after it thunking around noisily for a while, he bucked it off again and it sat there uselessly at his feet. lol Guess he didn't want to be ridden. Ok, off to try the mission again, and hopefully get that key. :D

Thank you, again, for the fix!

• Like 1

Ok, got it finished. The fix worked. Key was in the same place, but I picked it up with no problems. . .no fancy climbing around. Found a few things I didn't find the first time through.

There was a cap on the roof near the cemetery. Apparently with some loot in it. And another piece of loot up above the main entrance to the cathedral, though I never did figure out how to get up there without falling. :P

Had a bit of trouble the second night. I chased the horse off while I was outside initially, and apparently EVERYONE decided that meant there was an intruder about. Did they go chase the horse or try to retrieve it? NOOOOO They all drew swords and stomped around inside making threats. pfft .Sometimes you really have to wonder about their intelligence. lol I did feel guilty about the poor horse, though. As a horse lover that was just mean and unacceptable!

The only way I could find to drive it off was to attack it with a blade. Tried just smacking it, and it just spun in place Wish there was a less nasty way to do it. (Technically, just untying it and giving it a smack on its rump should have gotten it going!)

Had a bit of trouble with loot that night. The cash box area was too well lit and they kept catching me in there. Pfft.Eventually made up the difference by picking pockets. Pretty much ended up ghosting that night.

Third night was fun, and pretty easy. Followed the other thief around a bit. Thought there should be an objective for stopping her, but even after dropping her in various places, nothing ticked off. I probably should have just left her awake. Not like she could steal much after I'd been through three times! I did find an 'extra' objective after

knocking the mage out

. Completing that was obviously easy at that point. Was a bit curious about the whole 'mage mark' thing. A sequel, perhaps?

I also got an 'extra' objective

to discover and read the new letter, after I finished marking all the spots. But when I read the new letter in the office,

the objective just disappeared. Did not 'complete', it just. . .went away.All in all a great set of missions. :D

I really liked the ending too.

I thought it sort of funny that the innkeeper wanted our help. . .then started getting annoyed at him. So it was rather satisfying to track him down and knock him upside the head. lol

Great job.

• Like 1

I just got the same error as AluminumHaste, the new "patch" version fixes this?

(downloaded in-game)

Sadly, unfortunately not, you've got the latest version, the in-game downloader has it (the only change was a key frob issue a tiny percentage of the time).

If you can provide any insight as to what might be causing it, that would be lovely. Is it exactly the same, same number and everything? Could it be related to memory on your system at the time? Does it happen again? This is the first report of an additional instance. Is the AI down by the cemetery or privy stuck/circling/doing anything unusual? Got a save?

My guess is if you have a previous save, that might resolve it, otherwise restart would be the only other idea I have. My condolences, I wish I knew more, once there's more to know, something can hopefully be done about it!

LOL @this (it reminds me of Max Payne 2 same situation!!!):

innbiz_2014_03_14_20_54_04.jpg

:laugh:

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I wouldn't fret too much about this yet. Both AH and I are running SVN builds. It's possible that something Sotha committed is conflicting with what

your map contains?

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I wouldn't fret too much about this yet. Both AH and I are running SVN builds. It's possible that something Sotha committed is conflicting with what your map contains?

Ah, meaning experimental versions that aren't available publicly? (I imagine most players reading this wouldn't know what the SVN jargon means, but might avoid playing until they see it's resolved. It also causes worry if it'll possibly be broken in the future.)

Sotha's download link is here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14969-sothas-animations/page__view__findpost__p__334949

Hi, I'm at the end of the second day right now and still looking for the last bit of loot to finish. But I have a strange issue in the mages room:

It's quite brightly bathed in light that it looks like a bug! Even if I move both candles to another room. BTW, the candles relighting themselves is great, but is the bright light intended?

Mind editing that to put those details within spoiler tags please? That should be a surprise for players to discover in play. Thanks!

Does it appear unnaturally bright? Not behaving like normal light? Perhaps even a bit magical? :-) Mmhmms, it's entirely the result of the occupant of that room using his abilities to potentially deter a thief who might return...sounds like it had the desired effect! It's not a bug at all.

Also thank you, and I hope you find everything else great too!

Edited by RJFerret

Enjoyable mission with a lot of neat, quirky detail! I liked the non-standard idea of revisiting a place in a three-mission set, and the work which was invested into it. You get a sense of place, and it is fun to see the staff's reaction to your exploits. The mission was also very funny - not in an overdone way, but how there were some classic comedic situations -

the sneak-thief in mission three, the mage, the couple sneaking off into one of the rooms,

or just the non-standard AI reactions to nicking their stuff.

Maybe my playstyle was too orthodox, but I did not find any secret objectives. I'll try harder when I replay it.

I am not so happy about the reskinned loot items, however. They have special skins for a good reason - to let you find them among several other items. I understand you wanted something more special, but unless there are clues that point them out, many people would miss them by habit. This was a small, but odd blemish on an excellent mission that otherwise had logical and sometimes very clever loot placement.

Edited by Melan
  • Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hi,

congrat for your release.

I'm actually stuck in mission 2, the loot objective is ok but the mission don't finish when i'm jumping into the courtyard.

Is the hidden objective mandatory ?

Can you give me a hint for this objective please ?

Sure can, sorry you are stuck, no, nothing hidden is mandatory. Loot is only half that objective...

Did you grab the bunch of health potions?

There's a hint where they are in the kitchen.

Edit: If you've already seen that hint, and would like more of a pointer, see spoilers in post #34.

Edited by RJFerret

Ok, it was the horse objective i didn't understood well...

Ah, gotcha', from the past tense of your post I'm guessing you have gotten past it now, if not...

Just give it a smack with the (presumed) flat of your sword, or put an arrow in it to send it on it's way...

That was a fine mission!

Actually I was looking for a quick little mission that would last for an hour or two - and ended up spending like 4 hours or so. :D

I liked those nasty little surprises, like

that ultra-bright light in tha mages room and ... you know... the other scene.

Not sure if I obtained the mystical item in the intended way.

I simply snatched it out of the chest, but would have expected that there is some secret to it, like a way to break the spell or something like that. No ?

And came across a few little bugs.

- Once the mage (in day 2) simply dropped through the floor and vanished into nirvana. I thought that sort of bug had been fixed in earlier versions of TDM already. It looks like his position in the bed is very low. May be that was causing it?

If he had not vanished this way, I would never have spotted the key on the desk. I wonder what I would have been supposed to do in order to deal with that situation. :wacko:

- The path leading into the tavern entrance near the horse is lacking some textures at the side. So you can look straight under the cobblestones. (Observed in day1)