The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Inn Business by RJFerret (2014/03/03)

RJFerret

Thank you! And that amount of playtime/entertainment is awesome, thanks for sharing that too.

I do try to design with multiple options available, so "the intended" doesn't quite apply here, so yes, that works! (I was very glad during testing that another aspect I personally only knew one way through, a tester approached in an entirely different manner as successfully.) It is possible to achieve what you theorize about too though, you've already witnessed an aspect that hints towards it.

I'd thought that issue was resolved in TDM too, so was surprised at an earlier report of misbehaving too, the usual remedy for it in place as well.

I'm delighted you found it so fine! :-) (As well as others I've not directly responded to, I'm glad and appreciate the kind words!)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Finally getting a chance to play this. Congrats on your release and I thank you very much for no spiders ^_^ Just on the first night still - is taking a while because somebody didn't want me to find all the loot or something :laugh: Looks good so far - will write more when I've finished.

• Like 1

My condolences, it might be the way I phrased the objective perhaps, as "by the light" is the place. I'm afraid this one's hard to be subtle with since the light is already mentioned, so the spoiler is more specific.

More specifically, the lamppost base.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

You are welcome! Perhaps it was a height thing?

I don't recall making the target area particularly low but did have the ground there in mind as I designed it.

Hmm... Is it time to reveal how many other hidden objectives there are? The mission hasn't been our a full month yet! But okay, close enough for government work as they say...

Three.

Most can be done any night, however one requires an element that's only available the first night.

Found two hidden objectives now (dolly and map escape) - any hints for the third objective?

Kudos, afaik first to find the way to escape the map!!! :-) Almost exactly a month after mission release, point to Florian!

Sorry, too soon to be giving hints toward the other two...

Really? Wowzers! I was considering that one the hardest to discover with so much to do, and the 2.01 update making it much harder than when I started the map. Kudos to you!

Just one remains, more akin to the map escape, the one that I had previously hinted could only be done the first night, due to requiring something available just then.

Another question: You said soemthing about more health potions in Night 2. I found 4 in total. Is that all or are there more than that?

Besides you wrote something about getting the mysterous item in Night 2 by several means. Which other ways than simply taking it from the chest are possible then?

Nicely different mission. As others have already said, the sex scene was complete surprise for me - this is the first Darkmod FM where I encountered it - I remember other mission´s briefing, where Garret´s unmentionables were referred to as "blackjack" but there was nothing specific in the game itself.

I actually thought that maiden NPC got stuck in that narrow room with furnaces and it´s being continuously burned! Then a man´s voice joined in and i thought: "Cool, two NPCs are being taken care of, less possibility of being spotted."

And then I ´ve opened the door to that incriminating room - and suddenly everything was explained :D

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 1

Yes Florian, it's all designed to be able to be completed in different ways to minimize chances of players getting stuck. As such...

There's another entire set of pots from whichever you've found.

In regards to the chest, they all have the same result, it's just a question of going about it blindly or dispelling the illusion first, and the order of completing objectives, risking noise/ramifications or preventing them.

Nicely different mission....

Thank you, and heh... :-) I can picture that expectation, then surprise, thanks for sharing!

Really? Wowzers! I was considering that one the hardest to discover with so much to do, and the 2.01 update making it much harder than when I started the map. Kudos to you!

Just one remains, more akin to the map escape, the one that I had previously hinted could only be done the first night, due to requiring something available just then.

Sorry, I don´t get it. The only items I have on night 1 that I don´t have later on are breath potions and they can only be used for longer swimming - but there isn´t any water there. Just a little more subtle hint please :)

Edited by Florian

"...something available just then" isn't limited to your inventory. ;-)

Ok I think I give up: I hopped around the

tree which was cut down in Night 2

- nothing... and I haven´t found anything else which is only there in Night 1.... :(

Edited by Florian

Well, I don't know if this helps or harms ;-) , but you have the right idea in mind actually... For anyone else seeking another secret objective and wants a hint, see Florian's spoiler above.

I will point out that it's not that simple though, and not the only place required.

Well feeling like I'm missing something so went back into Day 1 searching around everywhere and went and hid

behind the dead tree by the cemetery as a guard was coming my way. I guess he really "had to go" so stopped by the tree I was hiding behind - seen that before. Imagine my surprise though (and am wondering if this was a hidden objective LOL :blush: ) when he whips out the "tool of the trade" and lets the full stream go. :o

So do I get bonus points? Don't think that's what I was missing though. ;)

We have Sotha to thank for providing us that, erm, "flavor". :-) But nothing special there otherwise I'm afraid.

Well, I don't know if this helps or harms ;-) , but you have the right idea in mind actually... For anyone else seeking another secret objective and wants a hint, see Florian's spoiler above.

I will point out that it's not that simple though, and not the only place required.

Found the last one finally - suddenly, after several tries the

acrobatical thing

popped up :) So: four secret objectives mastered!

I wish mission builders would do more such things as it´s fun to look for them...if you know, they are there. Otherwise no one would find them I am sure of...

Edited by Florian
  • Like 1

Wowzers, kudos to you! Now THAT is perseverance, well done! :-)

I wish mission builders would do more such things as it´s fun to look for them...if you know, they are there. Otherwise no one would find them I am sure of...

Well, two of them were focused on specific playing styles, but it seems one of those used to be more of a tradition that isn't happening as much recently, so could be discovered; but yeah, that's why I figured I should hint a bit, however it would have been fun if a year from now someone stumbled across one.

I'm very glad you enjoyed the hidden extras, of course for most mappers there's limited return on that investment, and it's not easy to cater to every different play style, but I'll make an effort to when I can. :-) It's been fun following your progress, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

I finished this FM last night and hadn't read any spoilers on this thread, or even the introduction or tips, prior to playing.

The setting was well planted and the amount of detail and thoroughness with which the mission was created are really great signs of mapping prowess. Particularly the custom scripted events, originality, and creativity used throughout the FM. Really an outstanding effort, IMO.

The use of audio was also key in tying the experience together and there were many instances that sit in my mind even a day afterward which is uncommon. I can still hear the wind chimes by the courtyard tree and I'm thinking about the ideas in this FM. This is just one instance but there are quite a few things in this FM that leave a lasting impression and were a lot of fun.

Lots of puzzles and situations that seemed spontaneous and ...well the list goes on. Definitely a 10 on the fun factor scale.

Just all the little touches and detail really fleshed out the setting. The dogs behind the church door, the little snow caps on the third night on tops of the hammer statues heads, the way the snow wagon tracks meet the wear away towards the gate, shooting the horse in the ass with an arrow and watching him tear off in a frightened tiraid. The sorcerer casting magic in his room for protecting and the quirky candles and green fireballs! The hollowed out books, dresser drawers, false chest bottoms, seated sex tastefully done, and on and on.

The player can tell there was a lot of care that went in to the mission and just like a fresh homeade soup, it's gooood.

Only a couple things I noticed

After stealing the money off the card table which put me in a very tight spot :) The guy at the table seated closest to the bar seems to use his chair too frequently as a step and can end up standing on the table.

In the top floor 3rd suite (second from the end I think) where you can knock the picture off the wall and there's a cubby behind it, the picture once it lands on the floor is unmoveable and will not allow the balcony door to open far enough to exit. Would be nice if it was still frobbable so the player could manage their route.

I only found 1 secret I believe which was the doll and after reading the hint and thinking "its a doll" I thought maybe the woman that was exiting the Inn in the corner was maybe the owner so I put the doll under the torch by the door exit in the light. I also tried putting it on the barrels by the back door in the light. It was just a tad obscure for me and I suppose after reading the Obj. and having picked up the doll on the penumbra of the street lamp, I guess just bumping it in further would have done it? I don't know. With a message so vague it would have been nice for any lighted area that had a passer by would have worked. Would have been cool too if the passer by picked it up and had a bark for it, "THERE's that doll she was looking for..." (I know, we want it all :P )

I did find a hat on the hammer statue building roof but not sure what that had to do with anything and didn't uncover any other secrets I don't think.

Amazing puzzle work, creativity, and attention to detail make this FM really stand out in your mind.

Thanks! and looking forward to the next.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this isn't considered necro-ing. I just trudged through this one, I have to say I quite liked the transition technique between nights, although I did encounter an error on the 2nd night when

frobbing the painting to reveal health potions.

I blackjacked it and immediately the mission stopped, I didn't have time to take a screenshot of the error though.

I'll be posting my run of it soon also, just to let you know!

Edited by MasterHelpo

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

Sweet!

That's a new one on me, haven't heard of that type of glitch before. I hope it was a random fluke that doesn't happen again! (But if it's a recurring problem, let me know please, as there is a work around.)

Edited by RJFerret

Are you working on another mission RJ? I really liked your first two and would love to see more from you. I remember you had another FM title in your signature that's now gone, has that been canned?