The Dark Mod Forums

Cube maps in TDM 2.0:

Bikerdude

Evening

Having read the info on the wiki I have a few questions -

• Does TDM 2.01 support higher resolution than 640*480 for the envshot command?
  • Is there way to take an envshot without having to muck about with orientation of the images.? or failing that a utility that reorientate the images for me?
  • The cubemap image appears magnified , how do I fix this..?
  • how do I make the cubemap stationary? as I am trying to make projections of the inside and outside of a building.

ta.

You can use it to fake sky or the view out of a window for example, or fake reflections. I guess with some creativity you can use it for other things as well.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yep. Just feed it the right argument.

Straight out of the source code:

common->Printf( "USAGE: envshot <basename> [blends]\n" );

So, envshot poolreflection 1024 1 will give you six 1024x1024 tga images in darkmod/env/poolreflection_XX.tga.

If you're wondering what "blend" means: it just takes x number of screenshots, and blends them together as a sort of anti-aliasing (It's particularly useful around particle effects and moving shadowcasting lights.)

EDIT: I think it's been mentioned elsewhere that large envmap images can be distorted or get a borked side. I'm not sure if this was fixed in a D3 patch or not.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I never worked with cubemaps, and it's been a while since I've read that article. So I cannot really help you out there. Currently I'm focusing on mapping and shader stuff in regards to TDM, so I guess I won't find the time.

Good luck anyways.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Including the playermodel in the envshot? Or do you mean keeping the cubemap from moving and rotating with the playerview?

Keeping the cubemap from rotating/moving with player view I guess. But I may not do it at all because when taking envshots outside, the skybox is borked in some of the images - WTF cant envshot take hots the correct way up and facing the right way FFS, its infuriating.

I'll try to answer your initial post:

Having read the info on the wiki I have a few questions -

• Does TDM 2.01 support higher resolution than 640*480 for the envshot command?

The command supports higher resolution outputs. The problem is creating them when your in-game resolution is higher than 640x480 as I recall.

Nobody has tested this since Doom 3 went GPL. It might be fixed now (try it).

• Is there way to take an envshot without having to muck about with orientation of the images.? or failing that a utility that reorientate the images for me?

Look at the cubemap image name convention that Doom 3 defaults to. (see the ones I attached to spring's Making Cubemaps thread). You can use that convention

but please be aware that certain behavior and orientations are expected for each. The wiki has you do the whole renaming process so that the files are more

easily understood.

• The cubemap image appears magnified , how do I fix this..?

You can add the "scale" stage parameter to your cubmap material def to change that

• how do I make the cubemap stationary? as I am trying to make projections of the inside and outside of a building.

I think you want cameraCubeMap rather than cubeMap.

post a test map and I can fiddle :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Ok I think I need a little more context.

I see building facades embedded in portalsky. Are these meant to be extended into the portalsky?

Do you intend to fake an interior on one of these facades using a cubemap (interior mapping)?

The former would probably take a little research into the new portalsky methods.

The latter, I can probably work-up a demo.

The sky itself is cutoff at the bottom if you climb the fence. Is this also something you are trying to solve?

Ok. so the envshot itself is bugged when portalsky is in the player view... Will test that but I guess a workaround would be to create info_player start positions facing each position and collect

screen-shots from all directions. Could be a way to script that too using "camshot" or ev_camshot... wish Doom3world were back now...

Fix would be to include portalsky as part of the envshot render... not sure why it's excluded but I recall a similar problem plagued the timedemo...

Fix would be to include portalsky as part of the envshot render... not sure why it's excluded but I recall a similar problem plagued the timedemo...

Of temp replace the port_sky with a skybox texture (eg textures/darkmod/nature/skybox/skybox_afternoon_02) and see if that works, the only issue with that is it wont be the same sky or have thew cool cityscape and twilight evening sky effect. In fact how was the above texture made..? could we not use the same technique to replicate Springheel's skybox which is what i using in the mission atrm.

[update] that works and I was able to do it at 1024*1024, so all I/we need to do is create a texture version of Springheels skybox (darkmod\prefabs\skybox\cityscape_skybox) - anyone one know how..?

And other related note, I need to know how to change scale in the material def to reduce maginifcation issue, then maybe the weird view that follows the player maight be less of an issue.

OK that was probably a bit daft. You're probably using a variant of the def from the wiki.

Here is what you would change

textures/env/water_pool
{
   qer_editorimage env/water_pool_up.tga

noFragment
   noshadows
   noimpact
   nooverlays
   forceOpaque
   nonsolid

{
 	forceHighQuality
blend add
cameraCubeMap env/water_pool
       scale 0.5,0.5
texgen reflect
   }
}

(just add the scale 0.5,0.5 line)

I also saw someone fiddle with "translate 0.5,0.5" to fix this so it may take a little adjustment.