The Dark Mod Forums

The Keepers are present in Thief 4 [SPOILERS]

AluminumHaste

Not sure if anyone else caught it, but the complex below the house of blossoms pretty much screams Keepers, what with the statues holding giant keys, and the stained glass windows with locks in them.

However one of the coolest ones lies in a secret area with a collectible. What's really cool, is that on the wall to the left, there is an alcove with a glowing blue symbol, which is this:

Keeper_stainedglass.jpg

And the symbol is glowing blue like the keeper runes in Thief Deadly Shadows and it fades out when you stare at it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

This has been known for a long, long time.

The House of Blossoms is in the Keeper Library from TDS.

Not A Keeper Library, THE Keeper Library. This in-game map is even built on THE in-game map from TDS. Seriously. There are Keeper statues and symbols all over that place. Even as you walk in there is a massive Keeper symbol on the wall (as you descend). That's the first clue.

Edited by Subjective Effect
  • Like 1

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Yeah, it's not very subtle at all. The medallion to get in to the complex has some of the standard Keeper glyphs too.

Edit: @SE - are we sure it's the same layout? I haven't played that level in TDS in a long time, but it didn't feel all that familiar to me. Especially all the rotating staircases and the library being over a big cavern type terrain.

Edited by brethren

The layout may not be the exact same in game but the devs built and based the level on the actual level, as in the actual in-game level, from TDS.

It didn't really feel that familiar to me either but I've only played TDS once and it was ages ago. It's not like I'm comparing it to a Thief 1 or 2 level.

We could (if were geeky enough) compare it...

Here is a map of the TDS lower libraries:

map-compound02.jpg

I haven't finished House of Blossoms yet so I can't tell if that's accurate. I will say this though - the columns in there remind me of the TDM training mission and that level is nothing like the brothel level in Dishonored.

The layout may not be the exact same in game but the devs built and based the level on the actual level, as in the actual in-game level, from TDS.

I think they meant something like "based on" in regards to look and feel. I kinda doubt it's the same architecture and floorplan. But I found a savegame online for the Keeper Compound in TDS, so I'll fire it up tonight and see.

Here it is: http://community.eid...A-2?theme=thief

And I quote:

"I mean, already, if you look back at what we showed from the House of Blossoms, the whole den is set in the Keeper library from the classic games. If you look back behind the velvet curtains, you’ll see the gothic library taken directly from the Keepers Library in the classic games. We actually built from the design of the original library map – the structure, the levels, the whole location – when you play through you’ll even be able to find hidden, remaining parts of the Library in the basement. It’s a major beat, that level is all about exploring that old location."

In other news - you suck at googling. :P

Edited by Subjective Effect

An impressive bit of continuity. Too bad about the rest, but I'll give them this is neat.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That's so weird as in certain forums lots of people complained that hammers/keepers/pagans etc were not even mentioned in the game.

This is just me trying to avoid most of the discussion around this game until it was out.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It's pretty astonishing that what we've known for nearly a year, now, is news to active members of one or more Thief communities. It's not a surprise at all, however, that people who are affronted by the angry reactions of those who've kept up with things for many years, simply never knew it was based on otherwise well-known, public, and repeatedly-stated information. Oof.

7kwmF.gif

Oh here I thought I had found something lol. Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't know either so the thread is more useful than you think. It's like an easter-egg, but shoe-horned and bent out of relevance and continuity. It's like a parent making dated references to try and appear cool in front of their kid's friends. They tried, I guess.

Edited by Airship Ballet

That's so weird as in certain forums lots of people complained that hammers/keepers/pagans etc were not even mentioned in the game.

This is just me trying to avoid most of the discussion around this game until it was out.

I think anyone who's followed development of the game knew there would be references to the old factions. Some of the first images that came out during E3 last year showed the Medallion from the House of Blossoms with the Keeper glyphs, and there was also a Keeper statue shown too I believe. The devs have said all along there would be a lot of "nod" to the previous games.

I think people complained more because the old factions weren't an integral part of the game. They wanted more than just a tip of a hat, they wanted to see Hammerites walking down the streets.

@Airship - I have no idea what your animated GIF means. What/who is that?

Edited by brethren