The Dark Mod Forums

Camageddon Reincarnation

Lux

I love how we are seeing plenty of old school games making a come back in one way or another now days.

I remember the good ol' days of Carmageddon and driving around with my door open hitting pedestrians. Damn i'm glad it's making a come back.

Also how cool was the old box art for Carmageddon 2 (posted below incase some forget/don't know)

KJgqAEK.jpg

lWdUBMP.jpg

I love how we are seeing plenty of old school games making a come back in one way or another now days.

Yeah, I only wish they were good come backs. With Stainless at the helm I have high hopes for this.

Edited by Lux

Carmageddon is pretty cool. As far as old school driving games go, though, I'd most like to see a remake of Interstate '76.

It's funny that I used to think of GTA in the same category as these, 90s car-xploitation game, but it somehow managed to make it across the millennium gap.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Carmageddon is pretty cool. As far as old school driving games go, though, I'd most like to see a remake of Interstate '76.

It's funny that I used to think of GTA in the same category as these, 90s car-xploitation game, but it somehow managed to make it across the millennium gap.

OH DuuuuDEEEE!! Interstate '76 was sooo freaking awesome. Loved that game.

Interstate '82 also good but yeah if they were to remake one, '76 would be so awesome. Man that takes me back.

I have a buddy that would seriously probably drop dead if they remade Interstate '76. Of course he would probably also mock it after it came out for not achieving the blippety of the original... but... yeah. Would be awesome.

Edited by Lux

IKR. I got it working recently and was replaying it. The awesome soundtrack & conversations got me into it. Then I got to a wild level right in the middle that's basically a race contest with the main bad guys for no good reason, and I'm thinking this is insane, and at the end of the level

the player wakes up because the whole thing was a dream sequence.

I laughed hard. Didn't know games did that, and it was so cheap, but I loved it anyway. Such a charismatic game.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It was, and the voice acting in it was top notch even now. Memories of the old faithful Thrustmaster joystick vibrating with the off road sand and gravel hitting the underside of the car...

• 3 weeks later...

Twitch stream (1hr 44min) for those interested. Pre-alpha game play for the early release available today at 17:00GMT for kickstarter donaters.

A few of the new maps played.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

this wont run on my machine from what the specs say of needing a high end pc with 8gb of ram (it doesn't say if this is memory or harddrive space, am guessing it ram, why cant it use virtual memory for low end spec machines, but you also need a 2gb video card as well. the original games just needed a 386 with a maths chip, and vesa graphics support.

Virtual memory is balls-achingly slow. Depending on what they want to do in the engine it might chug like a mofo if it expects to read/write memory pages at a certain speed (physical RAM speed) and instead gets hard drive speed. An SSD would mitigate it somewhat but then you'd just end up thrashing your SSD very hard, very fast, which wouldn't be good.

Sure the original games were pretty simple in term of system requirements when we look at them now. They probably weren't too simple compared to the typical PC at the time and I bet in 15 years time, the specs for Reincarnation will look pitiful compared to whatever's around by then. Who knows... we might even get Half-Life 3 by then and people will be willingly upgrading to whatever is necessary to play that.

Edited by At0mic

Yeah, I only wish they were good come backs. With Stainless at the helm I have high hopes for this.

There's also this. I don't know if anyone here was a fan of the old ones. I sure was. :) It seems it's being developed by a team of people who believe the old mechanics were great and are not outdated, and seem to be trying to stay true to them.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook