The Dark Mod Forums

Photoshop Experts Wanted

Cambridge Spy

I've been struggling for years to find an expert in editing 3D textures (.dds files) and converting them to NormalMap. Since this is a stealth game project forum, and some members have made textures for the Dark Mod, I hope to find better luck here.

There's a WWII-themed stealth game called "Death to Spies", which has a sequel called "Death to Spies: Moment of Truth" (though the latter is more like an expansion for the original DtS, and it was originally intended as such). A friend of mine made a mod a while back which allows you to play all the missions from DtS on Moment of Truth's graphics engine. The current version of this mod is MoTmod 1.11. From the moment the first version of the mod came out, I've been making extra modifications to it such as replacing sound files, replacing weapons of certain NPCs, and fixing a few developer oversights. Version 1.10 of the official MoTmod contained a revamp of the first DtS mission, in which NPCs have new skins based on historically accurate uniforms. When it came out, I decided to make historically accurate skins for all the missions from both games.

Now I have some experience with editing textures, but I don't have the same expertise as the artist who made the new skins for MoTmod 1.10. I just want help with replacing or adding extra insignia, as well as changing colours to match that of another texture.

If there's anyone out there who's interested in helping, please start by clicking on this RapidShare link:

http://rapidshare.co...BC469CC7CAB41E4

This contains a Kriegsmarine uniform texture, an edited version for you to replace the insignia, and some pictures taken off the internet so you know what to replace the original insignia with. I'll post some instructions here:

"navalman_body1.dds" is the original texture file. Note the machine part, that's the original insignia. "navalman_body1_ddn.bmp" is the NormalMap of the texture. "plan.dds" is the texture you should use to draw the insignia. Now look at "Picture 7932.jpg". Ignore the gold border for now, and just draw the star. After that, look at "K019368full.jpg" and draw the lightning bolt. After that, add the gold border around the machine part, star, and lightning bolt insignia.

Here's how to save the edited versions of "plan.dds" as a new file:

sol00.dds: Add just the star.

radist_body.dds: Add just the lightning bolt.

enlisted_body1.dds: Add the gold border around the star.

enlisted_body2.dds: Add the gold border around the machine part.

enlisted_body3.dds: Add the gold border around the lightning bolt.

I hope these instructions help. Thanks!

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

It's not big problem to remake this images, but I can't understand what exactly you want - try to make some sketch in paint to point where should be new insignia with star and with lighting bolt...

Here's a sketch of where the star should be. But like I said, please consult "Picture 7932" for how the star should look on the texture.

post-33055-0-23050800-1394204510_thumb.jpg

Colour of gold should be like buttons? And should insignia be the same colour or like star in picture?

Try and make it the same colour as in "K019368full" (lightning bolt) and "Picture 7932" (star and gold border). Or make the lightning bolt the same colour as breast eagle and make the star and border the same colour as machine part (navalman_body1.dds).

The polite way to ask for such thing would have been to intro with something like "Wow, The Dark Mod is so awesome, thanks for doing this guys! But hey, I am working on a mod myself and could use some help". ;)

The polite way to ask for such thing would have been to intro with something like "Wow, The Dark Mod is so awesome, thanks for doing this guys! But hey, I am working on a mod myself and could use some help". ;)

Oh... didn't think of that, sorry! But yes, the Dark Mod is awesome.
  • Like 2

Here's another easy job for you:

http://rapidshare.co...CF850720F5A478D

I just want the colour of "german_casca03.dds" to match the uniform colour of "german_soldier01.dds". "helm2.dds" is my attempt at matching the colour, and should serve as a guide for you. When you're done, please save "german_casca03.dds" as "helm2.dds". Can you do it for me, please? Thank you!

Is Caroline John now working for the games industry in her late age? ^_^

LOL, good one! I would have liked to have seen her do voice acting in a video game (The Elder Scrolls, for example). Sadly, she died nearly two years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I received a PM from XendroX a while ago saying that he can't focus on the current job I asked him to do due to real life matters. So I'm looking for others on this forum to help me with this simple task in the meantime.

http://rapidshare.co...B7549418BFFE8D8

sol300.dds is the one you should edit. Pay attention to both sol310.jpg and sol320.jpg. Notice the lines on the collar (left side of the map)? Now consult this webpage:

http://www.uniformin...d=53&result=593

Consult the third and fourth pictures from the top. Notice the lines on the rightmost image? I want these lines to replace the lines I drew on the jpg images. When you're done, save sol300.dds as sol310.dds and sol320.dds. Don't bother making a NormalMap of these textures, they're unneccessary this time. If someone, or perhaps XendroX if he's not caught up in anything else, can help me with this simple task, I'll be grateful. I hope I have explained this task well enough. Thank you!