The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 5 (Thoughs on who should develop it and how it should be developed)

Timmy777

I'm thinking about Thief 5 already because of utter failure that Thief 4 was.

My idea is maybe Edios should self off the IP to someone competent.

Using Thief 1 and 2 as base for Gameplay and Story.

Create brand new story, (bring back the hammers, keepers, and all)

-Get rid of Loads Zones, maybe get rid of City hubs and just concentrate on great levels design, maybe have total of 12 levels? 15 ?

-Hire Stephen Russell again.

-Go back to the same style (clips)

-Hire hardcore Thief 1 and 2 fan's to make sure the project meets their standards.

-After the game is created, create aids for for mainstream gamer (like map markets) to limit any frustration that might come about.

-use feel of Thief 2 in the game also. Make sure the movements speeds are perfect like Thief 2.

-Maybe introduce new concepts to the game. But don't remove any of the old.

I guess it will be Thief 1 mixed with 2 with better graphic's and brand new story.

Just wondering what engine should be used.

I think it could be made done in 2 years?

• Like 3

If we are pipe-dreaming, I'd say keep it small like Frictional's Penumbra and Amnesia games. What engine? I am biased but I would go with a modded Id Tech 4. We could share assets with it and lure T5 mappers over to our side :P

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

In the end, it almost doesn't matter which engine to use (as long as it's newer than id tech 4, of course), because the more modern it is, the better it can handle larger levels. I am convinced that Thi4f maps are that small because of the limitations of last-gen consoles. Had this game been created solely for next-gen consoles, things would have been different.

Also, city hubs were a downright stupid idea back then in the days of TDS, and they are a stupid idea now. I wonder why Squeenix used them at all, after all the player gets to be held by his hand all the time, and a series of levels would work much better in this regard.

• Like 2

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

In the end, it almost doesn't matter which engine to use (as long as it's newer than id tech 4, of course), because the more modern it is, the better it can handle larger levels. I am convinced that Thi4f maps are that small because of the limitations of last-gen consoles. Had this game been created solely for next-gen consoles, things would have been different.

Also, city hubs were a downright stupid idea back then in the days of TDS, and they are a stupid idea now. I wonder why Squeenix used them at all, after all the player gets to be held by his hand all the time, and a series of levels would work much better in this regard.

The CryEngine (2/3) can be used for stealthy gameplay,too

[ www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3‎ ]

But it is not THAT cheap :-P

And...Yes...City hubs are a gameplay-fail in my opinion, too. They are used for keeping the gamer busy and shall cover, that there`s a weak or no plot at all.

In T 1 & 2 there wasn`t any hub, but a great plot. I couldn`t stop playing, til I finished those games. In T4 the gamer is lost in a big Labyrinth with a complete uninteresting plot. And the transition-points are sucking major *ss.

"Do you really want to leave the area?" is a question, I don`t wanna see in game at all. Especially in a thief game, where suspense is the motive for gaming.

A complete bummer!

But I know, it`s very difficult writing a exciting plot. When is the last time we get a game with a plot, who sucks you into it and you can`t leave hold of the mouse/controller??

( Except the Levels of our TDM-team, .....naturalmente :D )

It`s easier to show the folks great effects, if any! And a main charachter drugged to the eyeballs , with a somewhat SM-gay-optics, living in a belltower (certainly).

The last thing I know is, that Garrett wasn`t even able paying his rent for his old-quarter-apartment. But. Yes. A belltower is more...u know......lead.......\m/..... <_<

And he was wearing a cloak. Sign o`the times? Possibly. But Does it have to be? And don`t let me begin about the sound ( score, location of sound, Lip-syncronity, the list is endless ).

Why doesn`t it surprise me, that 27 people from the T4-team were fired?

Edit: Regarding the development :

SE sould hand over the rights for the Thief-series to TDM.

Period.

Edited by vvGarrettvv

And...Yes...City hubs are a gameplay-fail in my opinion, too. They are used for keeping the gamer busy and shall cover, that there`s a weak or no plot at all.

That's an interesting theory, I'd like to see how you formulated it.

In T 1 & 2 there wasn`t any hub, but a great plot.

I see. Moving along then..

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I would say due to the freedom of movement in the city hubs compared to the linear level design in the main chapters I would say, make the levels look like the city hubs, cos they are more 3D design eg streets, walkways, rooftops. Compared to the 2D design feeling of the chapters.

If you all want to ditch the hubs then I think you are missing loads of stuff in the city.

You can fall to your death in the city if you push it, so if that all scripted, then just remove the hand holding from the city, and let the player go anywhere even if it crashes the game.

I've already found an alternative route to the south quarter from stonemarket that bypasses the guard tower encounter if you go the route the game want you to go in the map.

things to fix if you go from hub to hub, the guards you killed don't respawn (i knocked them out and they then fell to there deaths), nor does the loot you picked up, some of it respawns (I found the same ashtray in a building about 6 times so far).

Overheard conversations dont loop so often, like the one with the girl and her perfume, which can loop from about 3 different sources at the same time, eg guards on street and voices from buildings. they could have done it so that garrett carries a notebook, and everytime he overheard something he would write it to the notebook then it wouldn't be said again. The same with reading things, if it was loot related then it could be written to the notebook, and a more rough copy of a city map would gain a drawn 'x' to show where that was than that computer map and circles. eg like the maps in the smugglers maps.

Edited by stumpy

It kinda sounds like you're advocating building a hub area as a toolkit, and copy pasting sections into missions. Given how each new thing a team has to make detracts away from putting that time elsewhere, copy pasting makes sense from their end of the deal. Deus Ex had a reasonable hub-ish section in NY the first time, it was able to keep evolving while still being a hub. Seems your issue is poorly done hubs where things keep respawning to promote grinding, with vendor prices structured around said grinding?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

First there should be Thief 4. I mean Thief 4 as in an actual sequel to the original series, not a spin-off reboot. Thief2014 is not part of the original canon, The original Thief series is still a trilogy and I'm waiting for continuation.

As for who should make it and how it should be. I don't know who, but it should be a PC game.

• Like 1

Thief 5 will only happen if Eidos or SE does it. They can make a sequel relatively cheap, reusing the same engine and assets as the previous one. Starting from scratch isn't going to happen.

Thief 5 will only happen if Eidos or SE does it. They can make a sequel relatively cheap, reusing the same engine and assets as the previous one. Starting from scratch isn't going to happen.

And the part that it's probably going to be called "Thief 2" :D :D :D :D :D :D

It will be set 800,000 years in the future, and will be called Thief 2...The Morlock Age.

The Thief-master general will be there in monkey form, always catching Garrett at the end of every mission...yet, always letting him slip through his monkey fingers... :ph34r:

Basso is an angry rooster this time, pissed off at Garrett, because he falls in love with Jenivere...who is now a chicken.

It will be set 800,000 years in the future, and will be called Thief 2...The Morlock Age.

The Thief-master general will be there in monkey form, always catching Garrett at the end of every mission...yet, always letting him slip through his monkey fingers... :ph34r:

Basso is an angry rooster this time, pissed off at Garrett, because he falls in love with Jenivere...who is now a chicken.

I see a brilliant fan mission with new barbecue gameplay mechanics just ahead!