The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 5 (Thoughs on who should develop it and how it should be developed)

Timmy777

I had been thinking over the last week about a city hub for TDM. Instead of a tutorial mission you would always have the city hub to practice your skills.

You would also have a fence and the fence would give out missions/be the mission hub so it would be more interactive. So basically when you went to talk to the fence, a mission page would open like the one we have now in the main menu and you could select which one you wanted to play.

Then you'd leave the fence and proceed through the hub to the mission start location.

The outskirts of the city could be done in such a way that we had multiple exit locations and each one would be different. So as an example, we'd have large gates on a main roads north/south/east/west, back alleys in multiple districts, small gates leading to other districts, random sewer placements, etc. that when you went to the end of them would trigger the mission to begin.

This would allow for all the various mission starts we currently have. We could comb through the missions and if a mission began dropping over a wall or outside an estate, or on a canyon along some road, you would have the appropriate mission exit from the hub that would flow in to the mission.

Also, we could add to and expand the main city eventually in to all the sections that are in the wiki/lore. Also people could contribute by fleshing out individual buildings in the city. Creating interiors, etc., vs. creating an entire FM. FM's could also be created just by setting up stories in the existing city hub architecture. So no architecure would have to be created necessarily, just chests and loot items/readables added per that mission.

Then builders could build and story writers without the technical know how could create stories/characters.

Over time the entire city would be a trove of interesting things and all buildings would be enterable, a thiefs paradise.

I'm sure its feasible though I suppose the technical details of all this would be insurmountable. It would really be fascinating though to be able to explore all over Bridgeport and its different areas.

I guess its utopian.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

It will be set 800,000 years in the future, and will be called Thief 2...The Morlock Age.

The Thief-master general will be there in monkey form, always catching Garrett at the end of every mission...yet, always letting him slip through his monkey fingers... :ph34r:

Basso is an angry rooster this time, pissed off at Garrett, because he falls in love with Jenivere...who is now a chicken.

Crap! I definetely have to smoke this "astro turf", too .

Despite I agree of what in the beginning was said, on other hand I agree with the statement Melon said as well ' Let the series rest with dignity'. Sometimes fans have hard times some franchises letting go, and I understand why. But seriously let Thief rest in piece, Garrett's story was over. I prefer that way instance milking this awesome franchise.

Start a new franchise completely EM, this my advice as a fan of Thief. Of course you can say you were inspired in Thief which is fine. I actually was seeing this game not as a thief but as an assassin, imagine guys... a pure stealth game as an assassin what awesome this could be :)!

• Like 1

I actually was seeing this game not as a thief but as an assassin, imagine guys... a pure stealth game as an assassin what awesome this could be :)!

Didn't Tenchu already do that, and not to mention, ten times better?

I had been thinking over the last week about a city hub for TDM. Instead of a tutorial mission you would always have the city hub to practice your skills.

I had an idea that was like this but even more ambitious. I thought about an procedural open world game where there's a totally open city with a living economy, you thieve mansions, and as you get money you buy property around the city--a mansion, guards, staff, warehouses, ships, political office--and slowly build yourself a criminal empire and become a crime baron in the city. It's turning it into a different game, but a fun alternative one IMO.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I really don't like it when people edit their whole post out. Unless someone happened to quote them, it's impossible to know what was said and hence what direction the flow of the thread took (if any). If people regret posting something then they should consider this the next time they make a post and leave it for posterity to remind them of their own foolishness.

Anyway, I'm not confident Thief 5 could do justice in the modern gaming climate. There's certainly a demand for a more classic style of Thief gameplay with doesn't require such an overly dramatic, cinematic presentation as Thief 4 has, but the more true to form a Thief game becomes, the more niche it becomes. The more niece it becomes, the smaller the audience. Smaller audience = less revenue. Games cost way too much these days to make (AAA titles at least) and it's hardly surprising if publishers think that the only way to recoup the costs of expensively developed games is to make games that are broadly accessible. Which is fine for many types of games, but I just don't see how it would do justice to a game like Thief. Often when making a game more appealing to a wider audience, you end up diluting features that made people interested in the game series to begin with.

Maybe a smaller developer could do it, I dunno. But so long as Eidos holds the Thief franchise, it's going to be them that makes Thief games.

• Like 1

If we are pipe-dreaming, I'd say keep it small like Frictional's Penumbra and Amnesia games. What engine? I am biased but I would go with a modded Id Tech 4. We could share assets with it and lure T5 mappers over to our side :P

The new Frictional's game, called SOMA, looks much more complicated and bigger than anything they did before, as the say goes if you can go bigger and better do it, but let's hope they don't grow so much that they lose their indie soul.

About Thief 5, if it will ever be made, i bet they will go with their version of the Unreal Engine, change to the new UE4 version, use Cryengine X or Frostbyte, you know any engine that has a bigger hype around it, is a way to sell a game to the unknowing masses, even if said engine is not so good if you look well under the hood, how many times i've seen people say, " i just hope their new game is made on x engine, man that x game looked fantastic on it." forgetting that is the skills of the game developers that matters not the engine.

There're lots of forum and Internet behaviors people really don't like, with consequences and reactions that are also questionable. A lack of context and a mind full of conclusion-leaping will self-sabotage the experience. Can't stop it. Nope. Not at all. I'm not embarrassed at my own posts in the least, except for the typical whoopsie-daisy bits.

So then the point of deleting posts is to...set a trigger_multiple with spawnarg="irritate"? ...well played.

I had an idea that was like this but even more ambitious. I thought about an procedural open world game where there's a totally open city with a living economy, you thieve mansions, and as you get money you buy property around the city--a mansion, guards, staff, warehouses, ships, political office--and slowly build yourself a criminal empire and become a crime baron in the city. It's turning it into a different game, but a fun alternative one IMO.

I had a similar idea, in terms of the living economy, but where you can get intel about a place by visiting it (during the day or night) in another role. You'd have a "front" as a shopkeeper or artisan or something and then maybe visit a mansion to deliver something. Whilst you're there you get chance to scout things out and store the info for later. Your job would give you different skills (a blacksmith would be a better lockpick, a painter would spot more valuable art) and you'd have to both manage your job and be careful what you robbed because people would get suspicious if every time a new sculpture was delivered a burglar broke in later that night.

• Like 1

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I don't need no doctor

I tell ya now

For my prescription to be filled

Only my baby's arms

Could ever take away this chill

Asserting control over my own IP, and blowing off the closed minds and haters of truth, until my request is met. What else to expect from an artist who is also silly and psycho?

atomic-bomb-o.gif

Edited by jtr7

A skunk was badgered--the results were strong.

I hope that something better comes along.

[...]and blowing off the closed minds and haters of truth, [...]

edit: [...]and blowing off the closed minds and haters of my truth, [...]

Its an important distinction.

Edited by Lux

I don't need no doctor

I tell ya now

For my prescription to be filled

Only my baby's arms

Could ever take away this chill

Asserting control over my own IP, and blowing off the closed minds and haters of truth, until my request is met. What else to expect from an artist who is also silly and psycho?

atomic-bomb-o.gif

What is this?

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

What is this?

Off-topic to the nth degree as far as I can tell.

I sympathize with jtr7's frustration to some degree (I guess?) but I don't see how anyone could remain this frustrated for this long.

The shortcomings of Thief 2014 were foreshadowed for months in small incremental press reveals.

All you can do is look at it and say "yep, that's mostly what we thought we'd get". (Well, you can make sure astro-turfers in forums don't make

absurd arguments and white-wash the whole thing as "a matter of personal opinion"... ;) )

As for holding out the torch for some grandiose AAA return to classic glory?

It would take some sorta industry-wide fad or upstart title (like Dishonored) to drive that to fruition.

I still say a smaller indie-style Thief game would be free to be more true to it's roots and wouldn't need to worry itself

with expensive cut-scenes, scripted events, and a huge asset creation budget.

See "MegaMan 9" for an extreme example of how this could play out.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You say yes, I say no

You say stop and I say go go go, oh no

You say goodbye and I say hello

Hello hello

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello

Hello hello

I say high, you say low

You say why and I say I don't know, oh no

(Hello goodbye hello goodbye) Hello hello

(Hello goodbye) I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello

(Hello goodbye) I don't know why you say goodbye

(Hello goodbye) I say hello/goodbye

Why why why why why why do you say goodbye goodbye, oh no?

Hello hello

Hello hello

Here's a clue.... I'm long past tired of your bullshit. Get it? Get it? No, you don't. Believe what you want. Believe it real good. That's what y'all are best at when yer interactin' on da Interwebs.

A skunk was badgered--the results were strong.

I hope that something better comes along.

You say yes, I say no

You say stop and I say go go go, oh no

Hello hello

Hello hello

I say high, you say low

You say why and I say I don't know, oh no

(Hello goodbye) I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello

(Hello goodbye) I don't know why you say goodbye

(Hello goodbye) I say hello/goodbye

Why why why why why why do you say goodbye goodbye, oh no?

Hello hello

Hello hello

Here's a clue.... I'm long past tired of your bullshit. Get it? Get it? No, you don't. Believe what you want. Believe it real good. That's what y'all are best at when yer interactin' on da Interwebs.

Sorry, man, I really tried to be sympathetic, but you really need to see a doctor. Or, you know, go out more. Or at all. Meet some real live people, talk, socialize, bond... you know, what normal people do.

Oh, and just for the record, I fully quoted you only so your weird post is not lost - again. After all, all we get to see from you page after page is your ridiculous signature, and not knowing what the folks here react to could leave the uninitiated reader thinking that you are actually the victim here.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.