The Dark Mod Forums

STiFU

Somebody on these forums posted about this indie-game called "Cloudbuilt" on the status box a while back. It looks very promising. I was into Quake 3 trickjumping back in the days and there was a special mod ("Defrag") for that game, which offers timetrails on obstacle courses for trickjumpers. Cloudbuilt is basically the same, only with a much lower entry barrier, but I hope there's a lot of room for perfection and tricks! Think of it as a third person Mirror's Edge with gadgets and a LOT of speed! :)

It's supposed to be released in 8 days. Can't wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmdw7H2Ito

• Like 2

So, today is the day of the release and I have just bought the game. Gonna try it later!! :) If anyone wants to add me in steam, to compare timings, here is my steam nickname:

STiFU [www.thedarkmod.com]

So, today is the day of the release and I have just bought the game. Gonna try it later!! :) If anyone wants to add me in steam, to compare timings, here is my steam nickname:

STiFU [www.thedarkmod.com]

I sent you an invite on Steam! <3

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

So now that it's out, what's the deal with a level editor? Not sure this is my cup of tea, but a friend of mine would probably be all over this if it's skill based with a constant content flow.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I asked on moddb whether there will be a level editor, but I didn't get an answer.

There are actually tons of features missing, in my oppinion. I'd mainly like to see some form of multiplayer. Not actual cooperative tricking, but just seeing other people doing their thing while you do yours without any actual interaction or collisions. It should have a score board for the timings and the option to chat with other players on the server and spectate them.

It's supposed to have ghost challenges against friends or something like that. But I don't have any friends that play this game so far. :-(

I noticed one other thing missing: Time differences when checkpoints are passed. How are you supposed to optimize your parcour way, if you don't even know how much time you spent on certain things.

Sorry, but I get sick just watchin this. I must be getting old. Then again, I don't know if I was ever really into that kind of game. It makes Quake 1 DM look slow. ;)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Hehe, I can imagine this is not everybody's cup of tea.

I for one feel a little like having been taken back in time. It feels just like quake 3 obstacle courses: You do a tiny mistake, kill yourself and start over and over again until you're happy with your time.

"Oh boy, so late already, gotta go to bed. But I'll still do that perfect run real quick". Haha, so naive... "quick" :D

This reminds me of spending hours playing Mirror's Edge time trials, getting that last second shaved off to beat the current week record. Loved it. Haven't had time to play this much, but am looking forward to giving it a more thorough go later on.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well, this is a game for perfection enthusiasts. The basic features might be limited on the first look, but there are actually so many small things that make you just a little bit faster.

But with your attitude, there is no way you could ever like any racing game! ^^

But with your attitude, there is no way you could ever like any racing game! ^^
Nah. There is a fundamental difference. Sports games usually have more to them than just the core mechanics (i.e. fine tuning the car accordingly to a track). At least the ones I enjoy which are mostly simulators (I don't particularly enjoy Burnouts and stuff like that).

But I can think of a game that could have revolved around one cool feature, yet it didn't: Rollcage. It's a racing game where the selling point could have been that cars can turn up-side down and keep going. Instead the selling points are that it's a reeeeaaally speedy game where cars can turn up-side down and keep going and they also have weapons and power ups to spice things up. Turns out the "cool feature" isn't overused, nor overly depended on (and required skill to be used, in fact). They've managed to balance it.

That's not what I find in most of these games. I can hardly think of one game like that that I enjoyed past the second level... Well, for some reason I enjoyed Osmos a lot, go figure (though I can't be bothered replaying it). Usually (and osmos is no exception) these games are really lacking in variety. I find them pretentious, really. I usually think people might do their ideas more justice by reserving them until they could compile more ideas in a more versatile product, or until they had more content to prevent overusing their "cool features".

Often I see games with great potential in them, but I find them laid to waste by their hastiness to make something of "that cool feature"...

I don't mean to say people shouldn't enjoy them, by all means do. I just have a real hard time doing it myself.

Still, I understand what can attract people to this game in particular. I used to be a jump maps looney in HL2 and Quake Live, and it can be extremely fun stuff. At the same time, I have a hard time enjoying a game that only does that. I played a CSS mod once that was made specifically just for that, and for some reason it just felt like an empty game to me (maybe for not having the weapons that ensured some versatility to jumping - or maybe because I knew I was stuck on jump maps while playing it). But jump maps and surf maps usually attracted a whole lot of people.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

• 3 months later...