The Dark Mod Forums

All about blender

lost_soul

• 3 months later...

Thanks.

Psst. Hey, any chance you would consider creating a "sleeping while sitting" animation for the female AI?

I think the current workaround it to use the male animation which is a little awkward.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Company I work for makes radiators. We have a cast-iron model called Kaszub which has a detailed, hand sculpted ornaments. I took over 500 closeup pictures and made a 3d scan of the radiator.

EF0rOXqm.jpg

Since it's symmetrical, only a quarter was needed. Scan came up fairly good.

QcpT0vHm.jpg

5H6DhGtm.jpg

Then I did a retopo in Blender

jAzuC04m.jpg

Then I had to make a low poly version for Sketchfab. Textures were made in Substance Painter. Link to model on Sketchfab.

• Like 4

It's only a model...

Thats amazing man, been meaning to look into photoscanning for a while now, the result is fantastic.

I also loved that armory engine there, sweet animations on the player character, cool physics, great looking lighting... It seems its not free though? Thats a bit of a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

One section is about 160 000 tris at a base level of detail. So the whole radiator is about 1300 000 tris. That's before subdivision however. I have 2 levels of subdivision, which means 16 time increase, so about 21 000 000 tris. Plus hair strands, so you can double that.

eUb5Tlq.png

XVVgX4T.png

PCEaKWe.png

It's only a model...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A castle for a King of clickbait titles :D

That's a 60-minute commentary over heavily cut and sped up footage. Decent work, although it won't make me change my mind over Blender (i.e. stay away from it).

Edited by Judith

Because of the workflow, naming conventions, and overall handling – everything is looks so different from standards set by the likes of 3ds Max. I can always switch to something like Maya and have fairly mild learning curve. With Blender it feels like learning 3d modelling from the beginning, which is something I don't have time for. And that's probably why Blender didn't become industry standard anywhere. It's a great tool on its own, but I wouldn't want to switch to it, if I can use Max or Maya.

BTW, a new trailer for the "Next gen" came out:

It's a feature length animation (financed by Chinese I believe) from a Canadian studio Tangent Animation. Apparently Netfilx has bought the rights to the film. Animated and rendered entirely in Blender / Cycles. Studio hired some in-house developers to improve Blender and hopefully those changes will find a way into official Blender release.

• Like 1

It's only a model...