The Dark Mod Forums

Sad announcement: Cosas - The nine year sleep is no more.

Bikerdude

It is a shame, but it's a reminder of how major undertakings like this always take far longer than you think they will, and few actually make it to the finish line. It's why I tend to be a wet blanket when people show up with grand ideas for lengthy projects that "should only take a few months".

Yeah, but reality check - Digi got a job at Arkane, making Dishonored. You guys are talking apples and oranges here - it's really got nothing to do with being overly ambitious. The guy got a job in the industry, and dropped his fan project. Not surprising at all. Yes, it was passed on to TheImmortalThief, but with Digi gone, the project probably never stood much of a chance anyway.

Anyway, the good news is they released it to the public, and the architecture is complete. It just needs a story, some scripting, and...well, about a dozen other things. :P

it's really got nothing to do with being overly ambitious. The guy got a job in the industry, and dropped his fan project.

Something in RL came up and he didn't have time to work on the project any longer. Happens all the time. The fact that it was getting a job in the industry is cool but beside the point--most ambitious projects like this don't get completed.

most ambitious projects like this don't get completed.

Yeah, TDM and Black Mesa are the extremely rare exception. Can't really thank the team enough for pulling through with TDM.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Cosas I thought had a good plan under the circumstances for getting everything out eventually, but yeah like brethren said, losing Digi effectively killed it. And there comes a point in time, I think, where if it's not out by then it probably won't be.

T2X had the better plan for getting a campaign out quickly while it had interest. But to maintain engagement it had a very democratic approach, which gave it a lot of shortcomings too, like the inconsistency in quality in assets and architecture. But it still got released and overall was amazing so it was worth it.

And the Hammerite Imperium was easily the best looking and most ambitious of the 3 big ones, and that hardly got off the ground at all, just very beautiful architecture remains.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Okay I let FM Sel create the FMs folder. I put the zip file in the FMs folder.

Ran the fm selector and there's no FMs listed. So I click the gear icon, and pick FM Archive path... and it asks for any archive file. So I select CoSaS-9YS-3-13-14r1.zip and click Open.

Then it says "The archive path may not be inside the FM path, or vice versa".

EDIT: Oh that's why, the FMs aren't supposed to go in the FMs folder, they have to go in a different folder.........Who the fuck designed this thing again?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, I had that same issue the first time I used it.

There's a reason they did it that way, but they could have made the UI a lot clearer about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.