The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission #80: A Noble Home (The Accountant Prologue) by Goldwell & Bikerdude (2014/03/14)

Goldwell

Interesting that there is an alternative method of getting into the house as I didn't try any of the doors in the street but

There is only one way to get inside which is through the front door ;)

Edited by Goldwell

I'm having a problem to find the necklace, can someone give me a hint?

Here is a layered hint. First spoiler is vague, second is more specific and the third tells you exactly what to do :)

Hope this helps!

Try searching for something in the office

Try looking around the desk in the office

press the button next to the desk in the office and the painting in the room will raise revealing a safe. After you pick the lock the necklace is inside that safe

Played this after a long day and I really liked the voice over job for the guy in the beginning, great way of starting a mission, though maybe he's a bit too sarcastic for my taste :)

Also the AI patrols were fantastic for the area space and it took some careful timing and sneaking to get around.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed this mission, nothing too fancy or convoluted, just some classic sneaking and thieving. The voice acting and rain effects were great. Perfect length for a first time mission and as a prologue to your series. Well done.

Speaking of, how long till we see Part 2?

• Like 1

Speaking of, how long till we see Part 2?

Work on part 2 has begun however it's still early days so I have no ETA yet :)

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention, very, very minor, but I was disappointed that there weren't any stealable

bottles of wine in the wine cellar! :o

Btw, I guess I didn't catch the reference to Garrett, only Benny - what was it?

Edited by brethren

One thing I forgot to mention, very, very minor, but I was disappointed that there weren't any stealable

bottles of wine in the wine cellar! :o

Btw, I guess I didn't catch the reference to Garrett, only Benny - what was it?

c'mon I gave you a golden chalice to steal down there! :P

I had thought about making some bottles loot but I figured there's so much to loot elsewhere especially in the office that maybe its best to have a room without mass amounts of loot ;)

and as for the Garrett reference

listen closely to the conversation your fence is having with you, particularly his talk that starts just after you grab your gear from the hideout and head with him towards the exit up into the city

Very nice mission) Good size for play it after working day and complete..

I missed more secrets in this mission. Say me is it possible to manage with door left from entrance? Because I was trying to shoot in the switch with no result if be true ))) Then I don't know about others, but doors with handles and no opened for me are annoying a little bit... Try to mark them with some notes,maybe..This is habit from other TDM missions, but for me this become some standard -handleless doors)) But all this moments are 5% from complete impression of FM..

Else one grats ))

Edited by XendroX

Hey Goldwell,

Played this a few days ago but my internet's been on the fritz so haven't had the time to write my thoughts. I really enjoyed this one, especially the atmosphere in the house, which you nailed.

I did think that the way in was overly tough (I saw the generator on the left of the entrance and first thought that you could turn it off or shoot it w/ a water arrow to get the electric lights at the entrance to fail, but it wasn't to be), but when you get into the house, with the water pattering outside and the tasteful lighting/object placement, it really sucked me in. That feeling's what I play games for and I haven't had that for a long while with TDM, so good work!

I did find two small narrative bugs:

The mandrasola packet is in the footlocker of the servant who has the journal complaining that his neighbor is stealing his coins and might be a mandrasola addict. Don't know if that was on purpose but I would have thought the journal should have been next to the other guy.

Also the fence says something like "I'm going to miss working with you, you've done good work for me", but the intro makes it seem like the fence is a stranger (this one might be my fault w/ the rewrite).

Looking forward to part 2 :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

A handsome little mission - I mostly enjoyed the narrative flourishes and voice acting, although at times it all came off as a bit "too" blunt for my liking (I kinda rolled my eyes at the Garret reference, as well as the typical noble "I may be a drunk, but who cares what my servants think?" shtick.)

I gotta give props for a good intro with the sewer section - it was very atmospheric and I appreciated the fence character leading you around and explaining the mission, rather than relegating it all to a text dump at the very beginning; it's a narrative technique rarely used in The Dark Mod. I'm echoing Moonbo's narrative bug complaints, btw.

Where'd you learn to do the water droplets thing on the windows? Loved it.

Gameplay wise, I don't have much to say other than that mission was well constructed. Good work.

Edited by Ryan101

• Where'd you learn to do the water droplets thing on the windows? Loved it.
  • Gameplay wise, I don't have much to say other than that mission was well constructed. Good work.

• I believe young Goldwell has learned a thing two from me and ran with it. In short it was probably a stock particle effect and it been customised to suite.
  • Glad you enjoyed it, the basic outlay was all Goldwell, I just did my usual trick of doing a couple of detail passes to bling it up.

Finally had the time to play this. Congrats on your first mission Goldwell, and what a sweet little mission it is.

Now I know you had Biker giving you hand, but still massive kudos on the visuals. The design of the sewers, streets and the house are fantastic, and the placement of lights, fog and particle effects are impeccable. Makes for a very immersive and visually pleasing experience. I wish I had half the talent that has gone into building this.

The level flowed well up until

the hidden safe, which I struggled with for a while. The mechanism was not quite where I expected it to be, so I wasted some time looking for it near the painting.

Before that everything was very logical and well hinted at.

The scripted sequence in the beginning in addition to the custom voice acting was really cool. All in all the whole map felt very professional. Some slight uglies though, like some of the custom brush-built objects (the magnifying glass upstairs come to mind).

I never had any trouble with the guards, unlike some others had reported, and getting in the house was tense but not too demanding. Finished with 4 coins missing, although I think I know where they were left.

Wiil we be going on a Zeppelin next time around? There is no going back once you tease something like that ;)

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

Wiil we be going on a Zeppelin next time around? There is no going back once you tease something like that ;)

the layout and plan of The Accountant campaign has changed and yes the Zepplin is still part of the story. The zepplin will be featured in Part 3 ;)

• Like 1

Just to echo what others have said I too thought this was a great little mission. The intro was great, especially the voice acting. Quite a small mission but everything felt tight and lean. Thank you and look forward to pt 2.

One thought I had whilst walking through the sewers was that it would feel better if it was much darker down there. Small radii on the electric lights etc.

• Like 1

Okay, played it.

Positive: I liked the voice acting, and the dialog down in the sewer was well done. Also liked the rain, dripping glass, and hidden safe...Guard patrols were good...Well laid-out, and a nice beginning to a story.

Negative: Too small, only one entrance, very straight forward.

Overall, a good start... :)

• Like 1

Just finished the mission, here's a few thoughts.

The Good

The opening sewer bit was fantastic, I enjoyed the reference to Garrett and it was nice to have a non-hostile npc giving you the breakdown, I've rarely seen that in other mods. Having a passed out drunk guy was also pretty amusing.

The audio was great and as many people have said the rain on the window panes was fantastic, I actually just hung out infront of windows appreciating it for a bit. I also enjoyed the colored lighting by the windows.

The Bad

Maby I just missed it, but there was there no lantern? I generally have issues with maps that don't supply one due to poor eyesight. It's fine though as I just spawned one in using the console.

I was hoping there was an alternate way into the mansion, I actually climbed up the pipes and trees in the level to try and sneak in a window. I also tried to break into the electrical room to no avail. I didn't experience the problems it seems a few others had with picking the front door though.

The Ugly

Nothing! The level was very visually appealing and I love the custom stuff like the freezer and also the safe and magnifying glass in the office.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the next part :)

Edited by Erdrick27
  • Like 1

Just finished the campaign, here's a few thoughts.

The Good

The opening sewer bit was fantastic, I enjoyed the reference to Garrett and it was nice to have a non-hostile npc giving you the breakdown, I've rarely seen that in other mods. Having a passed out drunk guy was also pretty amusing.

The audio was great and as many people have said the rain on the window panes was fantastic, I actually just hung out infront of windows appreciating it for a bit. I also enjoyed the colored lighting by the windows.

The Bad

Maby I just missed it, but there was there no lantern? I generally have issues with maps that don't supply one due to poor eyesight. It's fine though as I just spawned one in using the console.

I was hoping there was an alternate way into the mansion, I actually climbed up the pipes and trees in the level to try and sneak in a window. I also tried to break into the electrical room to no avail. I didn't experience the problems it seems a few others had with picking the front door though.

The Ugly

Nothing! The level was very visually appealing and I love the custom stuff like the freezer and also the safe and magnifying glass in the office.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the next part :)

Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it however this is only the prologue in a 4 part campaign so it's far from over ;)

I am currently working on part two which addresses a lot of the problems of the first one (mainly linear entrances) Part two will feature multiple entrances and also the rope arrow! Plus the map will be much larger with more to explore.

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1