The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission #80: A Noble Home (The Accountant Prologue) by Goldwell & Bikerdude (2014/03/14)

Goldwell

I'm new to the Darkmod so I played through, just quick run throughs exploring most of the mission areas, to get a feel for as many missions as I could this weekend. I explored through about 60 missions in 5 days. The only missions that I experienced this slo-mo thing was in these three:

1. Noble Home (street area in the rain)

2. Penny Dreadfull 2: All The Way Up (street spot)

3. In Rememberance of Him (graveyard small spot)

Two of these missions are from Bikerdude. I wonder if he could shed some light on this issue for me.

Edited by cavador_8

• Gpu - GTX 980 w/344.65 drivers
  • Ram - 8GB DDR3
  • Cpu - Core i7-4770K 3.5 GHZ

We are missing -

• motherboard
  • PSU
  • OS
  • Sound card
  • screen res and have you touched the nvidia control panel settings..? Eg have you set AA/AS higher than 4x/8x etc

And then

• what settings are you using in TDM

The easiest solution is for me to remote onto your PC and have a look, drop me a PM with your skype id.

Motherboard: ASROCK Z87 EXTREME4

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX750 WATT 80 PLUS BRONZE

Sound Card: ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND

Screen Res: 1920x1080 on a Samsung F8000 60 inch HDTV (gaming mode)

Nvidia Settings:

ambient occlusion performance anisotropic filtering 16x antialiasing FXAA ON antialiasing gamma correction ON antialiasing mode application controlled antialiasing transp multisampling CUPA ; GPUs ALL DSR factors/smooth OFF max pre-rendered frames 2 multi display/mixed single display power management adaptive shader cache ON text filter neg load bias clamp text filter quality high quality threaded optim AUTO triple buffering ON vsync ON

TDM settings:

Vsync: YES

AA: Off (FXAA on my video card)

Texture Anis: 16x

Ambient Rend: ENHANCED

Interaction Shader: ENHANCED

Post Proc: ENABLED

Edited by cavador_8

Am I really the only person here on this forum with this issue? I just tried another mission called "Siege Shop". I'm at 60 fps all the way until I reach an outside field in the rain. Then my fps drop to the 40s. In Noble Home, when I get on that first street in the rain I am in the 30 fps range until I get in the outside corners of that street then I am back up in the 60s. Needless to say, this is not what I expected from the GTX 980. I tried the new 344.75 drivers and there is no difference. I even tried playing Noble Home with no AA at all and no v-sync and it still hits the 30fps range in that area. I don't have this issue with any of my other games.

I even tried the Noble House and Siege Shop FMs on a completely different pc with a Nvidia GTX 660 and different drivers and this STILL happens.

Edited by cavador_8

GTX660 is a DX10 card. You do realize that TDM is not DX11 or 10, yeah? These cards are optimized for dx10/11. Not dx9 or anything older. I didn't realize "rain" was in all the trouble spots you were mentioning.

Edited by Lux

Interesting - that explains the poor frame rate I get - around 20 - 30fps with a GTX650Ti

Nope I tested this missing on an old GTX 480 and it ran fine, again this is a driver/TDM configuration issue.

@Springheel, can you move the tech. Supp. stuff to Cavadors other thread..?

• 3 months later...

Just finished the mission and it was amazing. Especially the part where your fence mentions another Thi4f who became quite different nowadays.

Yes i'm talking about you Gorrotte

It was also the first mission i noticed where NPCs react to stolen items, extinguished candles or to door that are not supposed to be open. I don't know if you're planning to continue but please do so

Just finished the mission and it was amazing. Especially the part where your fence mentions another Thi4f who became quite different nowadays.

Yes i'm talking about you Gorrotte

It was also the first mission i noticed where NPCs react to stolen items, extinguished candles or to door that are not supposed to be open. I don't know if you're planning to continue but please do so

The sequel is in the works right now. I'm hoping for a spring release but it may slip into summer and yes it picks up right where AC1 leaves off ;)

Glad you enjoyed it!

• 1 month later...

Just finished this. I thought the in-game 'cinematics' were very well done. Good voice acting by whomever that was. The guard patrols were well crafted but the amount of security seemed rather disproportionate to such a modest residence. It seemed like a flat in a wealthy part of a city. I also liked the flashes of originality - the walk-in freezer for example, the unique safe. I think an earlier comment said this was your first map? If so I think you have a lot of potential.

I think it could use a little more difficulty on the highest setting. The ghosting requirement is good but maybe split the main indoor guard into two guards, one for each floor. In any case I would definitely not add a key to the outside guard. You're given ample time to pick that lock as long as you don't forget yourself.

• Just finished this. I thought the in-game 'cinematics' were very well done. Good voice acting by whomever that was.

I also liked the flashes of originality - the walk-in freezer for example, the unique safe.

• That was all Goldwell, he is a very talented person and when his mapping skills match his other skills he will blow the rest of us away.

I modelled the freezer from one I had seen in a T2 mission and the safe was crafted by GW.

Do you remember the T2 mission? Ah just as I wrote that I remembered, in Precious Cargo (the stowaway mission).

Well anyway nice work.

I've seen the freezer in quite a few FMs and its fantastic to have one as it has a very steam punky feel and is a nice little nod to Thief 2. As for the safe it's not T2 inspired it's just something I came up with because I wanted something different than the normal style safe and a lot of people seem to enjoy it which is good!

Glad you enjoyed the mission overall as i'm currently working on the accountant 2 and I have taken into consideration all of the comments from this thread (including yours of course) when building it so hopefully it will be bigger and better ;)

• 2 months later...

finished this. Did not explore sewers. Only probs not mentioned so far...

1. 1st try the sewer-grate-door to the street got stuck, and I couldnot open it...I likely got too agressive in approaching it; worked second try, somewhat similar problem with the safe, did not need to reload.

2. Courtyard guard semi-spotted me while I was trying a sidedoor/someone else's front door; guard opens that unopenable door, showing the skybox.

looking forward to pt 2.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely fantastic mission...

Maybe this was mentioned before but:

The sewer hatch seems to get stuck if you open it and close it while staying in the sewer...

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Yes I realize now the sewer bit was a bit finicky but due to the way I had implemented the rain it had to be a once touch frob sort of door which is what caused the problems.