The Dark Mod Forums

Every new mission I make crashes

Hey guys, I am quite new to Darkradiant and I am doing a map/mission since 2 days.

After I placed some entities and brushes I always start darkmod and dmap. Everything is fine...

Then somehow after my map got bigger and bigger (but in comparison to other mission it is still very small) the same issue appears everytime.

I dmap and it says:

FixGlobalTjunctions

removed 144 degenerate triangle

removed 6 degenerate triangle

And then the game crashes.

Why is this? After redoing my map the third time i got the feeling that it has something to do with the "CSG substraction".

But I am not sure, because 1.) I use it only on some incomplex brushes 2.) I used it only twice 3.) After removing the brushes that were splitted because of "CSG substraction", the issue was still there.

Does anyone have an idea and can help me?

PS: My native language is not english. Please try to help without all the special terms beloning to mathematics, programming and stuff. :-)

Thanks

Edited by Wilcon

I think it would be easiest to post up the map file so others could take a look at the map itself and help identify what the issue is.

You can also help yourself figure out where the issue is by saving the map as a few different names like map1, map2, map3, etc. and then opening each one and surrounding a quarter of the map with a worldspawn room, placing the info_player_start in that room on the map and then delete the other 3/4s of the map.

For each duplicate map1, map2, etc. use a different quarter of the map. See which map section(s) won't compile. Then you can narrow your search down and find the offending geometery.

Edited by Lux

Yes, avoid CSG subtract.

Clipper is risky too, avoid cutting an angle then resizing, or cutting again, or you may create leaks and become off grid.

If you need to cut something in half, it seems better to resize it to half the size, copy it, drag the other half over.

If you need an angle, it seems best to drag vertices (points).

Once you get the feel for geometry that won't cause trouble, then bring Clipper into your work flow.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

doom 3 engine when compiling see's cube shapes as infinity x/y/z planes and where the planes intersect that become a corner. So if you have a sliver of a box less than one grid unit the dmap compiler gets stuck in an infinity loop trying to find a plane thats too small for it to find. then windows spots the infinity loop and kills the process with a 'this has stopped responding' or some other error related to a inifiny loop error.

Thank you all for your feedbacks!

And thank you stumpy for that explanation!

Now, I stopped using CSG and rarely use the Clipper.

The problem i mentioned above is sometimes still there, but without the crash. Means the console still says:

FixGlobalTjunctions

removed 6 degenerate triangle

but the game doesn't crash and i can play the map.

But now i tried "Brush > prism / cone / ball (or however your darkradiant says it in english)

Before I did that I made a backup, then I used the cone and ball brush and created a room in it.

After i dmaped the game crashed while showing the following in the console:

Vertex with only one edge

backwards triangle in input

while the second line appeared like a thousand times.

So i thought i just have to use my backup (which worked before) and can go on.

But no, this map crashes now too after I dmap. And it shows the same issues...

I really have no idea what happened there.

EDIT:

It somehow works now! But there are a lot of backwards triangle in input and removed x degenerate triangle without a loop. After dmap the game lags for like 4 seconds (cannot even move mouse pointer) but then everything works!

Edited by Wilcon

Another thing that can cause a crash is not having any visportals, I suggest placing a few of those if you haven't already.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

@ Xarg

Yes sir, I placed some visportals. After I read your reply I placed some more, but they don't work! I place them in an absolute closed room, but the new visportals are not even there when I r_showportals 1.

Seems like the game doesn't load them.

Just forget what I wrote here. I did a stupid mistake!

Edited by Wilcon

Did visportals help? Not having any caused a previous map I was making to crash until I placed some. If not, something else is going on here.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080