The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Breaking out the Fence (17/03/2014) by Kyyrma

kyyrma

Poll: Breaking out the Fence impressions  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

I got through both this and In a Time of Need recently. Two play sessions for Breaking out the Fence, the first was me enjoying the different areas (like the spider cave, which was great!) and the second one was me being annoyed by the high loot req. on the hardest difficulty since I was required to either get dock treasure, safe or boar secret in order to pass. In hindsight getting pissed off a long time after I've had a good time the first time unfairly colored my opinion of the FM - overall I think it's a little gem! On to Exhumed, I suppose!

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 2 years later...

Went through the topic on looking for hint about the paintings with the locks behind them (which can't be lockpicked and don't use any of the keys I've found) and found nothing. Seems odd that nobody else would ask about this but maybe I'm just blind or didn't check the right spoiler box. :/

Edited by Ubersuntzu

• 3 months later...

Went through the topic on looking for hint about the paintings with the locks behind them (which can't be lockpicked and don't use any of the keys I've found) and found nothing. Seems odd that nobody else would ask about this but maybe I'm just blind or didn't check the right spoiler box. :/

You can find the key on a shelf over Tengrove's desk.

Really enjoyed this one, one of my favorites :D

Also, now that I know there's a secret involving the boar, I'll have to look some more.

• 1 year later...

I failed to complete the mission in 2.08 beta

After opening the fence prison cell the game became unplayable (low fps) with console spam like this

WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_townsfolk_commoner_armed_2 - no valid
 point found
 point found
 point found
 point found
WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_guard_generic_01_1 - no valid point f
ound
WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_guard_generic_01_1 - no valid point f
ound
WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_townsfolk_commoner_armed_1 - no valid
 point found
 point found
WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_rat_small_1 - no valid point found
WARNING:GetPointOutsideObstacles: atdm_ai_rat_small_1 - no valid point found
 point found
 point found

Reloading the savegame seems to resolve this

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I got the same low fps problem when opening the footlocker in the tavern and picking up the triangle lockpick. Reloading didn't help; neither did quitting and starting again.

huge translation for clip model 0 on entity 1085 'atdm_playertools_lockpick_triangle_1'
huge translation for clip model 0 on entity 1085 'atdm_playertools_lockpick_triangle_1'
WARNING:idClip::EntitiesTouchingBounds: max count (2) reached.

Frame rate drops permanently to about 2. Yuck.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 5:32 AM, thebigh said:

I got the same low fps problem when opening the footlocker in the tavern and picking up the triangle lockpick. Reloading didn't help; neither did quitting and starting again.

WARNING:idClip::EntitiesTouchingBounds: max count (2) reached.

Frame rate drops permanently to about 2. Yuck.

I have the exact same problem. Playing on 2.09.

It's unfortunate because I was really enjoying the mission up till now.

• 2 weeks later...

The mission has been reuploaded with a small fix for the lag that begins after lockpicks are picked up - the downloader should offer to update the FM. Please let us know if there are still problems in this vein with the FM.

@kyyrma

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 7:45 AM, Dragofer said:

The mission has been reuploaded with a small fix for the lag that begins after lockpicks are picked up - the downloader should offer to update the FM. Please let us know if there are still problems in this vein with the FM.

@kyyrma

I replayed this mission in TDM 2.09 and found an anoying bug that the metal door in the sewers leading to the prison cannot be lockpicked. (in TDM 2.05 it was OK when I played years ago)

On 6/2/2021 at 1:17 PM, huntaffer said:

I replayed this mission in TDM 2.09 and found an annoying bug that the metal door in the sewers leading to the prison cannot be lockpicked. (in TDM 2.05 it was OK when I played years ago)

Also the footlocker under the boat cannot be lockpicked.

Found out that the older version of this mission does not have this problem if copied to 2.09 from my old 2.05 FM folder.

I'm not sure that repeatedly bumping this is going to help.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 8 months later...

Good mission though the alarm is WAY too loud. Woke up the family AND my neighbour.

One problem, the code does not match what is written on the note. No wonder I couldn't
find it. I had to come here, only to find you'd made a mistake about it. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 1 month later...

Hmm...

For some reason, there is a func_remove entity that targets the lockpicks in this mission.

It is breaking their functionality in 2.10.

I fear that it may have been added to attempt to fix the performance and logspam issue previously mentioned?

@Dragofer @kyyrma

Anyway, the lockpick functionality works in this modified build:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CZb5bcTVXxorRIuVdQ8QMSwk4u5T_FS-/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)