The Dark Mod Forums

My models

Atheran

I think the TDM textures are a better fit for the body, and the base should be some kind of flat metal (which are abundant in the mod). The grating is quite right!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

For some reason I thought you specifically asked for a concrete base. I now see I was wrong :) Okay... Let me find the TDM textures then and I'll update

EDIT: How about that one? I tried to put some moss at the top and dirt at the bottom but sadly they're not really visible :( I'm also thinking to change the color of the bottom (feels too bright). And I don't like how squarish the panels are... I'd prefer some variety, but stretching them simply destroys the texture... Any ideas? About the shading thing at the top, it won't be visible when I add textures hopefully, but it's made because I put 4 lights all around the model for global illumination render.

quick_render_zps7bcb51fe.jpg

Edited by Atheran
  • Like 1

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

Colours looks bad, better change cooper to some blue gray steel from native textures or change base colour. Don't show particulary textured object - always better to show all textured, because not everyone can imagine how it will be finished.

P.s. didn't saw 3rd page :)) but still need changes in textures

Edited by XendroX

We can't add compartments to a finalized model can we? Reason I'm asking is because every time I look at that pedestal I'm wondering what the vent is for and then I start thinking how to open it... would be nice if there were a chamber inside for hiding valuables or a button/lever?

Also, personally I'm not particularly fond of the antennae. They'd be fine if it were for a control panel of some sort but otherwise, just for a display pedestal, they seem out of place.

I would suggest duplicating the model and have one with no antennae as a display pedestal and one with antennae and some gauges on the angled front panel and maybe a third model with gauges and a lever/button?

Edited by Lux

There is still a need for different texturing. Both the top and the bottom look like stone or concrete, while the textures repeat too much on the body, making for a "checkered" look. I assume the dial part and the antennae are still untextured?

Also, personally I'm not particularly fond of the antennae. They'd be fine if it were for a control panel of some sort but otherwise, just for a display pedestal, they seem out of place.

Nothing says it doesn't transmit/receive information through those things. ;)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Changing a finalised model is certainly doable not always worth it tho'. You have to compare the benefits of such change with the hassle of remaking UVs/textures. In this case I could add such a hidden compartment without much effort.

Both the top and the bottom look like stone or concrete, while the textures repeat too much on the body, making for a "checkered" look.

I feel the same way... And I also feel that the rust metal part is too much colorized. Maybe I'll drop the color intensity in the next try but after I remake the texture maps. Any better idea for the body part? Top and bottom can probably be fixed just by reducing (or even removing) the normal map for them and making them a bit darker (altho' I fear the top will look like black marble then :(). I may end up using the rusty plates as a base for making my own texture for the body after all.

And yes. DIal and antennas are not done yet. I have made the dial's UVs but not the antenna's.

Maybe for the body texture, something with jUSt horizontal or jUSt vertical stripes/rivet lines/etc?

That doesn't really make any sense, construction wise...I'd still go for plates but this time closer to the original concept, some big ones/some smaller ones, some vertical ones etc to add variety. Altho' I suspect it'll be a ton of work :)

As for the other models you proposed I don't see a reason why not. And I have a couple of others in my mind as well. But I want to finish with that one first.

I don't know what you mean exactly by, "contruction wise". Its a pedestal and its made not just to be a structural holder of something; its also meant to possibly be ornate or have special, particular metal/wood work done on its exterior to reflect that. That was my thought process when making the suggestion.

The pattern on the surface of an object doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with its construction. For instance, vertically fluted details on Roman columns; they're solid cast construction has nothing to do with the exterior/visual detail. Maybe I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from.

Edited by Lux

Okay... What do you mean by a pedestal? This is supposed to be a gauge meter for something. The antennas are for recieving/sending signals , then there's a gauge meter and a soon to be animated needle. That's a machine thingy not a pedestal for showcasing an item or something. Imagine the machines in TG with the two meters on the topleft side and the lever on the right. Basically the same thing but with one meter instead of two and no levers. (I could try and provide you a screenshot here of the original). The metal plates are there for the same reason they are in most machines. To hide the cables/delicate equipment from the dust and corrosion of the world.Thus, plates. Plates as we're refering to a specific age when people did not have huge factories able to create a shell for a machine like that in one piece.

At least that's how I understand it. Altho' some wooden parts with ornate details and copper parts would work better for a steampunk world, first I have to stay withing the game's already created and evolved art/world, and lastly it's not simply steampunk but middle ages/gothic/steampunk/victorian ugh! :)

My sincerest apologies. I was completely not aware of that. I think I just got it in my idiot mind from the initial pictures that it was a pedestal displaying something.

Hilarious, I was thinking... "what are the antennae for on a display pedestal"... gah.

I'm an idiot, apologies. I'll stop talking.

EDIT: I'm on lunch at work so I walked away from this after posting thinking... "what was I thinking"... and trying to pin it down and I think it was the moulding on the bottom that just made me think that for some reason. And maybe the angle of the top plate.

Most control boxes I've ever seen are just sheet metal sides, and just square on the bottom, for this era maybe put it up on short cast iron claw feet or cylinder feet? Maybe have some clearance under it showing 1 or 2 tubes going in to the floor as conduit to carry the wires, etc. It also felt like the top face was a bit too angled and more for an item display. Maybe relax that angle a bit towards the horizontal.

There were some cues that made me think it was "industrial" and like a control box (the antennae, the vents, duh) but for some reason I was seeing a display pedestal with like a plate on it, like fine china or something.

Edited by Lux

heh it's okay :)

For the pipes at the bottom I can't really thing of a way of showing that without making a hole in the model and that'd probably be out of place. And if the pipes are not visible then I don't see why I should spend polygons on them.

Most control boxes I've ever seen are just sheet metal sides, and just square on the bottom, for this era maybe put it up on short cast iron claw feet or cylinder feet?

Could you draw that or post a pic or something? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. As for the angle on top I may try to relax that. After all I'll have to remake the textures again. Changing the UVs accordingly should be hard.

You may want to look at some of our existing machine models for inspiration.

gauges: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/5867-baddcogs-models/page__view__findpost__p__111604

antennae: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15951-help-required-cant-re-orient-a-particle-emitter-wtdm-arclight-2/page__view__findpost__p__336435

That's all I can find atm, but you can load them up easily if you have DR installed.

All I can say is wooops!

Got a pretty insisting malware and I ended up formating, and I lost everything :(

I'll try to recreate at least the last machine from scratch when I get it back and running... Hopefully I'll have it ready within the weekend

@Atheran --malware! :( Bummer dude.

You wouldn't have to cut a hole in the model to have pipes coming out of it. You can just place them underneath similar to this example. It would give the model some visual interest as the player approached it or, as the player came up a set of metal mesh industrial stairs where they could clearly see underneath the model.

This is just rough model/texture in DR for example. The pipes can either intersect or just be between the model bottom and floor.

OtTAFiO.jpg

This is what I mean by cylinder feet (above) though they could be conical and resting on points (too modern probably) or claw feet (more victorian) similar to this image. Textured with wrought iron/cast iron with some petina vs. the gold shown below.

1RZ52BX.jpg

Other examples of old cabinet feet. Can be stubbier or shorter than these.

7ORPHVN.jpg

lLdSEoQ.jpg

VuXQufQ.jpg

Or simple bent metal angle iron like the above picture. (I love the above cabinet too. Not for what you're presently creating but wow, neat cabinet)

Edited by Lux

Not sure the feet would look cool on something like this...I prefer a sturdy bottom, but as I have to remake it anyways if people want feet I'll add feet :) I still can't understand what you mean with the pipes. Could you paint some on my last render? With paint or something. Don't need a piece of art just some lines to understand what you mean (see how Melan did it before)

Thanks for the pics tho' Some good reference there :) The last one for that model I'm working on, first and third for any furniture I may do in the future...

Edited by Atheran

Yeap, just brainstorming ideas is all. Purely suggestions :) Personally I'm not a fan of a moulding at the bottom of a cabinet unless its part of a wall, but that's just one opinion.

In the first image, the "pipes" are just short sections of conduit that cross the space between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor, so they're only 3-5" long. So basically if you had wires coming out of the bottom of the cabinet going in to the floor, these short sections would just serve to cover the wires so they can't be cut or messed with.

I can't really describe it any better than in the first image and the pipes can't be added to your previous model because it sits on the floor so there's no room for anything under it.

Conversely, if you wanted the cabinet sitting directly on the floor you could have a 90 degree pipe (or multiple conduits) coming out of the side of the cabinet and then going down in to the floor next to the cabinet, if you follow that description.

If the cabinet sat close to a wall, you could also run the conduits horizontally in to the wall. Or conduits on both sides in different places, etc.

Something like the below image, you could have 2-3 smaller pipes instead of a single or they can be any size. This is just to add some visual appeal and make it more industrial looking, and attach it to the space its resides in.

xHpwPmj.jpg

Edited by Lux

I only see one image. Don't know if you added more as your post suggests and I'm bugged or you put only one...

On that image:

I like the concept but the main problem I see is the polycount rising. I may try to make an even more lowres version when I remake it tho' to fit it.

But I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that we have modular pipes already so the mappers can connect their machines according to their map layout instead of predefined built-in-the-model kind of options. In that case building pipes like that would serve no purpose. And even if it was just an idea I read that never became reality I still believe it's a much better way to do it than build the pipes on the model. In that case I could make a library of pipes for that purpose.

Yep, you're right. Mappers can use it how they like, I guess its better to have it more basic and then anything can be added to it to connect it to the space.

You only see one image? Post #65 has 5 images. The first one is the example but like you say, If the cabinet had legs, mappers can add stuff under it to attach it to the space its in after they place the model.

Edited by Lux

• 8 months later...

Well... As I said in the General forums I'm creating some stuff for myself and I'd post here if I thought they could fit TDM.

These models are basic high-poly ones with no textures/no low-poly version and no UVs yet. I'll create those as I need them. If anyone wants them for his mission I can try and create UV's textures/normal maps and low poly models but I will NOT convert them to lwo or ase as I lack the tools to do so. If I create anything for anyone I'll give the obj or fbx along with the textures. How you convert them is up to you, if you want any of these models.

For now this is a high-poly of a generator. it's 3 meters by 2 meters by 2 meters in dimensions iirc and around 5-6k polys. Not sure what details will be transfered to a low poly version and what details will be made in normal map yet. As for the textures I imagine it to be copper-ish.

side_zpsd3ef8b41.jpgback_zps1d4cfc04.jpgfront2_zps619f3df1.jpg

The last image shows the front part which has a couple of steam pressure meters or something but that will have to be textured.

• Like 3

Nice one.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Pretty nice. If you do get around to texturing it, I'm sure someone would be interested.

If anyone wants them for his mission I can try and create UV's textures/normal maps and low poly models but I will NOT convert them to lwo or ase as I lack the tools to do so. If I create anything for anyone I'll give the obj or fbx along with the textures.

@Springheel, how do we convert to .LWO for you..? or .ASE for the rest of us..