The Dark Mod Forums

New Thief 4 patch -- audio problems fixed!

Springheel

This sounds very promising...fixes a lot of the annoying audio problems and the shadow problem that has been keeping me from playing the game!

• Fixed an issue where when finishing a chapter, the user would be brought back to the start. That primarily occurred around the April 1st.
  • Fixed several audio issues, including:
    - Issues with sound occlusion, being able to hear NPCs talking through walls.
    - Issues with music being relatively loud in several chapters.
    - Issue with credits music.
  • Fixed an issue with shadows that would occur on certain Nvidia and Intel GPUs.
  • Fixed issues where the quicksave would be overwritten.
    - Quicksaves now occupy a seperate slot internally and in the loading menu. To load a quicksave press F9 or go into the Load menu and select the Quicksave Slot.
  • Increased dedicated texture memory pool size for Intel GPUs.
  • Fixed an issue where several documents were missing.
  • Fixed an issue where the Spectral Aspect trinket had no effect.
  • Fixed an issue where player was unable to look around while using the handwheel.
  • Button prompts in the station screens now update automatically based on the user input method.
  • Several minor bug fixes.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=142975

Credit where credit is due. It's annoying that the bugs were a part of the release, but at least they're continuing to fix them.

• Like 2

Sweet! The audio is by far where this game has fallen short, ruining the immersion when you're getting really into it.

Well that and the occasional "I'm gonna swoop around that crate!" and then Garrett goes "lol nope vault into the open bro!".

Taking my time playing it though, so I've only just done The Manor. Might be worth revisiting a few places with the audio fixed.

Edited by Kvorning

Who knows maybe one day we will get free jumping back! I mean hell if Microsoft is putting a real start menu back in Windows 8 i'm sure EM can back track on their mistake too!

Very cool that they are continuing to fix the problems as well

I'm pretty skeptical about them making changes to gameplay, but who knows.

Nice to see they fixed some of the audio issues. A shame they still didn't separate cutscene audio from background music with sliders in the menu. Why can't we turn music completely off? Oh well... I'm done with my playthrough and likely won't ever install the game again anyway.

• Like 1

I've been waiting to p lay it until the shadow glitch was fixed. Now I have to wait until my mission is ready.

Still, I find it quite worthy of respect that after a month they're still putting out patches, instead of abandoning their customers completely.

Still, I find it quite worthy of respect that after a month they're still putting out patches, instead of abandoning their customers completely.

EM has to make up with fans for DX: The Fall PC edition :P

But yes this is a good sign they didn't abandon it which I thought they would. I wonder what the thief team are doing now

Wait what..?! Isn't it a normal thing to do, that the developers patch their games for bugfixes until everything works? Creating patches some months after the realease shouldn't be honored, but be a normal thing. Look at The Dark Mod! :D

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Wait what..?! Isn't it a normal thing to do, that the developers patch their games for bugfixes until everything works? Creating patches some months after the realease shouldn't be honored, but be a normal thing. Look at The Dark Mod!

And to take this further, if the team released a version TDM as broken as Thief was, we would get our asses handed to us and quite rightly so. SE/EM clearly didn't do enough beta testing and I'm guessing there is a team or 1-3 people finishing the outstanding issue's that should have been fixed before this game was bloody released.

And to take this further, if the team released a version TDM as broken as as Thief was we would get out assed handed to hus and quite rightly. SE/EM clearly didnt do enough beta testing and Im guessing there is a team or 1-3 people fising the outstatnding issue that should have been fixed before this game was bloody released.

When a game is released there will always be bugs but what they had in Thief constantly had me scratching my head thinking how did this get past QA. I mean I assume QA did bring it up but because the suits wanted it released on the date they set the devs had to push on knowing that there are even ground breaking bugs in the game or even worse disgruntled coders who purposefully made the game worse (read april fools bug). This practice pisses me off in the industry and it happens all the time (but with Thief it seems to be quite bad) because they are just concerned about rushing it out the door even if they have been taking their time up until now.

Some of the bugs in the game such as doing Basso's side quests and Vittitori quests in the city hub are obviously broken. For example when you are speaking to Vittitori (the circus head honcho) you can hear that annoying guy with the sex offender raincoat in the INN who just keeps saying to you "psst come here" "i've got gear" "pssst" and you cannot hear what the hell Vittitori is trying to say because of the fence/dealer guy and I mean they HAVE to have noticed things like that when doing QA.

• Like 1

Wait what..?! Isn't it a normal thing to do, that the developers patch their games for bugfixes until everything works? Creating patches some months after the realease shouldn't be honored, but be a normal thing. Look at The Dark Mod! :D

Bohemia is still patching Arma 2 several years after release, same with Croteam and Serious Sam 3. Have not had good experiences with EA games, though it seems flagship titles like Battlefield get some semi decent patching.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

This is called damage control measures...They'd be complete idiots to "abandon" their customers, and leave them furious with a technically-challenged product...Doing so, would only pour more fuel on an already raging fire of discontent, thanks to their foolish lore-smashing and player-agency restrictions.

So all they're doing is trying to save their own ass.

When a game is released there will always be bugs but what they had in Thief constantly had me scratching my head thinking how did this get past QA. I mean I assume QA did bring it up but because the suits wanted it released on the date they set the devs had to push on knowing that there are even ground breaking bugs in the game or even worse disgruntled coders who purposefully made the game worse (read april fools bug). This practice pisses me off in the industry and it happens all the time (but with Thief it seems to be quite bad) because they are just concerned about rushing it out the door even if they have been taking their time up until now.

Basically, the SE execs didn't want to keep draining the coffers + growing discontent from negative pre-release feedback = Get this son-of-a-bitch out ASAP.

With likely 50+ million invested, and realizing that NuThief wasn't going to be a winner like they hoped, it was time to stop the bleeding and pray that it would sell well enough to minimize the losses.

So if they release patches they're just saving their own ass, and if they don't release patches then they're idiots who only care about money.

With likely 50+ million invested, and realizing that NuThief wasn't going to be a winner like they hoped, it was time to stop the bleeding and pray that it would sell well enough to minimize the losses.

Yeah, that's probably accurate. Which didn't leave the development team many options. You basically scramble like mad to try and glue all the pieces together in time.