The Dark Mod Forums

What's better than being able to take away content from customers after they buy it from you?

lost_soul

Why, being able to take away content from people that you never had anything to do with in the first place!

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?332690-Sintel-blocked-by-Sony-on-Youtube

Praise be to the imaginary property brigade, who can have any content they deem "theirs" removed at the drop of a hat, without proof and without due process. This particular situation is not an issue for me, because I have this on DVD.

However, if I was dumb enough to rely on the cloud for all my entertainment, (the way they want things to go), and my favorite art was taken down without due process or a legitimate reason (be it music or anything else), I would be extremely pissed.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

It'll be restored, just the first part of the process is the take-down, and in this case, ironic. This has been an issue for a long time now, and it gets media attention, but until the legal situation and process is changed, it will continue.

I was more impressed that Pomplamoose's mash-up video that was taken down the other day got restored fairly readily (apparently, I have no idea what the behind the scenes involvement was), which is literally the "little guys" going up against the giants.

The system is actually working as designed.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Uh-huh, it's just automatic content ID that took it down. Since Sony are douche canoes it'll be set to automatically block anything (rather than just put a link to the music/video/product on the watch page) found from certain videos, and since this was used elsewhere by Sony the system thinks it's stolen. Youtube had to implement this to stay in business, it's just not a particularly clever technology yet.

if actual users had the same same content flagging capabilities as the auto-system and the new super elite super-faggers group, (as well they should), youtube would have already been completely destroyed by mutually assured destruction retaliation by users. I can't even tell you how many hours I would spend going through Vevo trash music videos just flagging stuff as things that belong to me.