The Dark Mod Forums

Sound Reverb Master List Beta

Deadlove

When do you think we could see your awesome feature in the game?

I'm very much looking forward to this!

If the Core MOD team decides they'd like to add these sounds to the next update, it is that easy. For now, each user must download individual PK4's and replace them in the TDM directory. :-)

• Like 1

I haven't tested this recently, but adding it to the core mod isn't quite so straightforward. Some missions use custom voice-overs, which would sound odd if the other lines have reverb and they don't. I also occasionally chop up existing vocals to make new ones when we need barks for new situations, and if I'm working from the originals then they wouldn't have reverb either.

• Like 1

I haven't tested this recently, but adding it to the core mod isn't quite so straightforward. Some missions use custom voice-overs, which would sound odd if the other lines have reverb and they don't. I also occasionally chop up existing vocals to make new ones when we need barks for new situations, and if I'm working from the originals then they wouldn't have reverb either.

Oooh. That's not very good.

I hope it's still possible through common efforts of everyone!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I do mean to test them now that they're done, but integration will have some hurdles.

• Like 2

I do mean to test them now that they're done, but integration will have some hurdles.

Only for the custom voices ?

I guess it would be worth it since the atmosphere is very important.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

There is also the question of what to do with new lines that get added, though that doesn't happen frequently.

• Like 1

There is also the question of what to do with new lines that get added, though that doesn't happen frequently.

I suppose just edit some reverb into them and test it out so it would sound natural.

A good idea might be to add reverb for non-verbal sound. i.e. - footstep sounds, muffling, ambiance, fire sound, zombie sound etc.

At a later stage if you feel that verbal sounds need work, you can add those next, whenever they are ready.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

Hello are you still around?

How's the progress on those sounds?

Do you need any help on them?

badge?user=andarson

As a specific example, 2.03 will include some new barks for coordinated searching, and in many cases I've created new files by cutting up existing barks. How is this handled? Someone using the reverb pk4s would now have a few lines that don't have reverb.

I suppose just edit some reverb into them and test it out so it would sound natural.

I don't know how to do that using Audacity.

Wouldn't it be easier to add the reverb during audio playback while the game is running? There is no real reason to have every sound twice just to add reverb, is there?

Theoretically, EAX or the successor should handle this, its a shame our audio engine never got updated…

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I don't know how to do that using Audacity.

Me neither. Just a suggestion I can't exemplify nor proove it's actually possible. I think some people did it somewhere, somehow but I don't remember where...

Apologies!

badge?user=andarson

It would sound very unnatural with edits cut up with vocals that have reverb baked into them.

Again, this was something I did for myself to enhance the gaming experience, and shared with the community. If there is a ways to add this to the core mod it would be great. But as others say, the best answer is something like OpenAL or EAX.

• Like 1

It would sound very unnatural with edits cut up with vocals that have reverb baked into them.

Again, this was something I did for myself to enhance the gaming experience, and shared with the community. If there is a ways to add this to the core mod it would be great. But as others say, the best answer is something like OpenAL or EAX.

Ah, alright. Holding my fingers crossed on that.

badge?user=andarson

Question:

What are these?

http://forums.thedar...on/page__st__25

The EAX 4.0 option in-game doesn't seem to work, according to the forums people suggest to use "Alchemy" or some such thing to make it work. What is the current situation on this?

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

EAX is only working on SB cards with hardware EAX processing like the X-Fi series. I wasn't able to get it to work with a newer SoundBlaster Z.

Why not offer support for new sound cards?

badge?user=andarson

Coz we need to get OpenAL implmented in the core code, so we can dump EAX. Unfortunatly Serpentine was the only person doing that and he is AWOL.

So mysterious when people disappear all of a sudden.

badge?user=andarson