The Dark Mod Forums

Blackjack distance frob highlight?

nbohr1more

What's the spawnarg to see the KO bbox?

tdm_melee_debug 1 but the box only flashes on very quickly. I had to grab quick screen shots. Hmm, is there a setting to slow time?

Edit:

Weird, maybe that wasn't the setting. I had enabled a few different things to try and see them when I was testing this a few nights ago but I didn't mark them down.

You probably also want to test blackjacking from the front to make sure that that's not possible when we don't want it to be. That's the other danger of increasing the height of the AI's head KO bounding box, you can hit the back of the head from the front and still be counted in the cone. And vice versa, if you're too close behind you'd get some erroneous hits on the front, I think.

A lot of this comes from the fact that the player anim always swings their arm in the same robotic way. A real person would adjust their swing to be tighter if they were closer, but that requires some arm animation IK that's probably not worth doing. Better to do what you're doing and tweak the blackjack and KO collision boxes. Just make sure they don't let in any undesired KOs from the front on helmeted and altert guards.

I haven't finished testing thoroughly yet, but I'm hoping it's a rare enough occurrence that the benefits will outweigh any potential cons of accidental front ko's. I think it's definitely of higher value to have it working properly from behind as that is how the majority of players will be doing it.