The Dark Mod Forums

What program do you use to capture gameplay video?

Deadlove

I use oCam. It's free and allows you to configure the framerate and bitrate of the saved video. It can also take screenies.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Bandicam is the best if you're planning on recording gameplay. It's free provided you have no qualms with the pirate life. It works like FRAPS in that you turn it on, start your game and it'll hook to it. Then when you press your record hot key it outputs perfect quality video but really well compressed. FRAPS output is ridiculously large and puts a huge strain on your PC, while Bandicam is gloriously well-optimized in terms of output and recording power. In short I've tried all sorts over the years, including all of the above, and Bandicam blows everything else out of the water.

I use fraps but after reading AB's post I'm thinking of switching to Bandicam!

I'd recommend it! I used FRAPS for a while and had to re-think my life when I saw that Bandicam's output was literally 20x smaller than FRAPS with no quality loss. Bear in mind that if you're on Windows 8 you'll need to run it in compatibility mode for XP or 7 (I forget) otherwise your video will come out as a black screen with audio.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

There is also Audacity, but unless you optimize the quality and bitrate, the end will result will be piss poor.

Oops. Why did I read this thread as "gameplay audio"?

Anyway, currently using Fraps because I'm super lazy. I've tried Camtasia, tried Dxtory but both were counter-intuitive and neither are free. A free one for people with Nvidia based GPUs is Shadow Play, the quality output isn't too bad, but it gets really butchered when you want to edit your content.

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

20x smaller than FRAPS with no quality loss.

That's fine if we're endorsing , "It's free provided you have no qualms with the pirate life." which I'm pretty sure we aren't. Are we? We aren't are we?

It needs asked multiple times apprantly because?

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

That's fine if we're endorsing , "It's free provided you have no qualms with the pirate life." which I'm pretty sure we aren't. Are we? We aren't are we?

It needs asked multiple times apprantly because?

Yo ho ho and a bottle o' rum.

Whatever you use, you may also want Handbreak to batch downsize the video files.

Handbrake, but yeah +1. Raw output from some games is weird. If you're running at 60FPS the file size will be way bigger, but also it depends how the game renders its world that determines file size. If you run it through any kind of editing software and render it through that without any changes (I use windows movie maker for the sake of simplicity, have Sony Vegas but never need the extra functionality) it'll drop to maybe 1/3 of the size. Handbrake reduces it to maybe 2/3 but it has the added bonus of being able to queue files while you sleep. Of course all this is unnecessary if you've got a decent connection.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Thanks guys. Forsome reason, I can't capture gameplay video, the screen just turns blank. That's for the first three suggested. Not sure what's causing it.

If someone here can help me make solution or a 30 second TDM demo vid for some custom sounds I did I'd appreciate it.

You could try Xfire: http://www.xfire.com. You need to register for it though, as it actually is rather a game and chat client with video recording function. It's not the best quality, but it's ok. I had some good results with it lately. Keep in mind though that the end result will be a bit brighter than it looks like in game.

Edited by chk772

Thanks guys. Forsome reason, I can't capture gameplay video, the screen just turns blank. That's for the first three suggested. Not sure what's causing it.

First Google result suggests, security software might be the cause, got any of these running? https://support.tech...or-black-screen

Edit: If you are on a laptop with multiple graphics devices, apparently it's also key to be sure the software is running on the correct display processor, or you will get blank results.

Edited by RJFerret
  • Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

The best recording software I've come across is OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). It has Intel QuickSync support and NVENC, so very low performance hit if you use one of those (and even without those its very efficient).

https://obsproject.com/

NVIDIA ShadowPlay is another one with low performance hit, although I've found that its files are difficult to edit due to variable framerates.

Thanks, you can add them to the mod for your own play too. Download link + instructions in linked thread.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16164-sound-reverb-master-list-beta/page__pid__343692#entry343692

• 1 year later...

I know this thread's a bit old, but I recently went digging for screen recording software and found out that CamStudio apparently now comes bundled with malware:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamStudio#Malicious_software

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone thinking of downloading it.