The Dark Mod Forums

External light gem for The Dark Mod

Goldwell

Saw this post on youtube and thought it was quite cool and clever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6SHhPaSpCs

• Like 2

It's changing from green (player hidden) to red (player lit up). I'm not sure what it means when the light goes out. The creator mentions it's just a quick hack and doesn't work stably as the bit of memory he's using to track the light gem can change.

What's changing? It seems to just flicker to me, though bear in mind I'm color blind. If it's just changing color, I think it'd be cooler if it just dimmed and intensified instead.

Aw :(

The bottle of wine on the right is changing color respective to the light gem in game. It goes from green to near black and when he moves closer to the light it turns red.

Huh, cool. Impressive all the same ^_^ All it needs now is some miniature shaped charges to shatter the bottle when you get seen by a guard. I'm sure that'll make people more inclined to be sneaky about it.

Edited by Airship Ballet

That is a extremely cool, GW!

I assume you have a photoresister based circuit and either 2x LEDs or a multi-coulour LED? You know a couple of these with RGB leds behind a TV changing colour based on whats on the screen would look very good - phillips does with with some of thier TVs.

That is a extremely cool, GW!

I assume you have a photoresister based circuit and either 2x LEDs or a multi-coulour LED? You know a couple of these with RGB leds behind a TV changing colour based on whats on the screen would look very good - phillips does with with some of thier TVs.

Just to clarify this isn't mine, it was just a video I found whilst browsing YouTube :)

I don't know if this guy is a forum goer or not, I don't think so though.

Interesting to think we have homebrew devs that aren't even on the forums.

Makes us seem more widespread and diverse.

• Like 3

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That is cool. It's probably a first iteration. I would have minorly tweaked the cross fading code to be a little smother, i.e., keep the green on and fade to red, then turn the green off, rather than letting it get so black.

@Biker: I don't think there's a photodiode or other light sensor involved, I think he's reading the actual lightgem value and then sending it to the microcontroller that the LEDs are plugged into.