The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel

Springheel

40 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. challenge, fun, ect. vs bugs. frustration, boredom, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: visual pleasure, lighting, artistic style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: story, texts, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Completed on shadow and missed a fair bit of loot - nearly enough found for the break in difficulty

Really impressive - I suspect that there is really only one way into the hideout as on all the others I got caught

Before playing Break In I am going to have to think a bit as I will be certain to be caught when I get the main objective

• Like 1

Thanks! That's something I really try hard to achieve. :)

Ha. Remember, I used a LOT of prefabs for the city section, and I used Sotha's modular building technique for the pub, so that helped speed things up.

Wow, that's high praise. Thanks very much and glad you're enjoying it! :blush:

As for the safe hint:

minor:

Where might Larkin hide an important key if it wasn't on his person?

med:

Search his bedroom.

pretty major:

the key changes position depending on difficulty level. Look under things in his bedroom.

Thanks, have completed it now. I quickly found it with a frobhunt in that room. Might be too well hidden but I can't say for sure until I replay.

Absolutely loved your work. The lighting in particular was great. It seemed the ambient was lower than most missions, which I generally find too washed out on my cheap LCD, though I've recently had a re-install so maybe that changed things. There was so many individual 'pools' of light for me to play around in though, and that made the gameplay great. Not sure how much time you spent thinking about that but it was really nicely balanced IMHO.

Only 'issues' I noticed were:

• When the 2 guys you follow are going up the long steps I took the shortcut over the wall. I ended up stuck in geometry after jumping off the wall to the steps
  • The banister that goes along the stairs at the rear of the tavern to the beer store room just ended abruptly at the top step. Seemed odd.
  • I had slow down in several locations. Feel bad about saying this as the level of detail and frame rate exceeded all of my expectations of what TDM can do. I am on a mid range system running Win XP.

I won't go on but just say thank you and recommend everyone plays this.

• Like 2

2.01 doesn't exhibit the problem, so I'm off to figure out what's ailing SVN.

I updated the pk4 so it won't crash on the SVN build, for those playing on a developer build. Won't affect anyone else.

@ Sprigheel,

I played through on the break in and thought it was really cool. Brings back the nostalgia of being chased and having to knock out or kill AI.

But the drop note in Larkins room objective still does not trigger success. am I in the right spot and dropping the right note?

post-20393-0-77457600-1397953762_thumb.jpg

I also tried dropping all the notes I had at the door, in front of the fire place, on the chair and nothing?

Maybe my setup is bugging out or more likely I am bugging out.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

But the drop note in Larkins room objective still does not trigger success

That's his study. You have to drop it in his bedroom.

@ Springheel

Ah. Doh. Thanks.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

This mission continues the story of the thief Corbin, as he deals with the consequences of his actions against Sykes in A Score to Settle (though it is not necessary to play that mission first).

Congrats Springheel !

And thanks for having released a FM the same day of my birthday ;)

I'd like to know if you've thought about a serie name, because it'll be useful for new players to know there's a link between "Score to Settle" and "Reputation", on this page for example : http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Nearly completed on Break In and because I needed to find a lot more loot I had a good search around before entering the hideout

Only one odd thing right at the start

I collected the coins in the fountain and then hid very carefully in the corner adjacent to the start point. The guard came back and then ran away in high alert having seemed to spot me at the start point - but I wasn't there and he hadn't seen me so it must have been triggered by the coins being removed I suppose

Fortunately I had a bit more time to get out of the strong room after achieving the objective so didn't have the problem I expected

Other than now needing to get back to the start I have achieved all the objectives but I am a chunk of loot missing so

will keep looking and try to think how to get the purse by the gamblers and the loot from the bar which I am sure is there and now have found all the loot - the bar was rather easier than I feared but the loot by the gamblers was very difficult - I should have bought the gas arrow or noise arrows so I had to kill them with a broadhead as I didn't

To summarise - a really excellent mission with enough differences between the first two levels to make it worth playing

I don't like speed runs so it will be a while before I try that

Edited by Oldjim

The guard came back and then ran away in high alert having seemed to spot me at the start point - but I wasn't there and he hadn't seen me so it must have been triggered by the coins being removed I suppose

Hmm, not sure what might have happened there, but I'm pretty sure the coins are not even visible to the AI, even if I had set them to be noticed (which I don't think I did). Are you sure he wasn't running just to catch up with his friend? They'll do that if they get too far apart.

And thanks for having released a FM the same day of my birthday ;)

Happy birthday!

I agree the uneven streets was worth the effort. Gives it a more organic feel. (Interestingly I still think of St. Lucia as some of the best constructed, organic-looking streets.) It (ARtU) is also good inspiration for constructing streets with visportaling in mind.

I got a gaggle of them searching by the bridge, and managed to run ahead to the brewery by guesswork, wait around, and the objective got fulfilled a minute or two later when the two arrived.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Can't find anything to

open with Morgan's key. Also thought the small key I found would open the wooden box in the upstairs bedroom but it didn't and intreagued to know what its use is.

Have not got enough loot and the above clues may well hold the answer. Hints please on a postcard ( or carrier pigeon's leg ) addressed to Darkmod's worse thief .......

Morgan's key opens his room. The small key opens something secret that he hides

Doh! He rushed out and somehow the door was jammed open so didn't need it at the time.

Just played again on first difficulty, 100% loot and stealth score of like 10 ish.

Only real problem I had was getting the purse from the steps next to the gamblers. The ones by the metal bridge. I ended having to use a flashbomb to distract them and swipe it.

I don't think this mission is ghostable and 100% completable.

10/10

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I've had great fun playing this one in my own peculiar way. I still can't find

Morgan's stash

though , can someone give me a hint please?

Out of interest I tried the timed version - supposedly the hardest - and achieved all the objectives with ease

Basically because I knew the route to the hideout and all the loot locations it was far too easy. I was picking the door to the main objective at the time when the "Follow to the hideout" objective came up as achieved

One thing I did find, which surprised me, was that Larkin left the door to his office open so I didn't need to bother pickpocketing the key although I already had

Edited by Oldjim

How did you get past

Larkin and Dawkins?

If you get enough of a lead on them, then it does get pretty easy to do everything once you get there, but I tried to make it hard to get past them at the beginning. There's a window of a couple seconds if you do everything right.

Just played again on first difficulty, 100% loot and stealth score of like 10 ish.

Cool!

I don't think this mission is ghostable and 100% completable.

I never go out of my way to make missions ghostable, so that's very possible.