The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Reputation to Uphold, by Springheel

Springheel

40 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. challenge, fun, ect. vs bugs. frustration, boredom, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: visual pleasure, lighting, artistic style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: story, texts, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Finished at last! On about my dozenth attempt. This is a tough but satisfying mission. I managed to fall foul of the time limit several times even on Shadow difficulty, which of course meant my save games were useless too.

I had a problem with the time limit playing on Shadow. I didn't know what the time limit was when posting that so didn't call it out as a bug, but my multiple attempts weren't anything like 6 hours long. I probably took the same route and method through each time. Sorry, I know how useless this is as a problem report...

Springheel: Yes, I am using the released version.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

To anyone who played on Shadow and ran out of time because Larkin and Dawkins head

down to the safe before you'd opened it

...is there any chance you alerted them? If those two AI get alerted they will stop haggling and immediately head there when they're done searching.

Springheel: yes, back in the streets around the great stairway! I even thought them running around would give me a big advantage in the hideout. ... So much for that idea, eh? :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Nothing that happens before the enter the study to start haggling over the price should affect how quickly they leave. I've been testing under 2.03 and I can't get them to leave before they're supposed to, so I'm still not sure what's causing it.

Steve has discovered the cause...apparently if you alert Dawkins and Larkin before they go into the room, it results in them leaving the room early because of something strange in the way the objectives are working. Still tracking down if this is a mod issue or a map issue.

• 2 months later...

The issue was a mod problem that only affects maps with more than 16 objectives, and apparently Reputation is the only mission to have that many thus far. SteveL has provided a fixed for the map, which has resulted in a new version.

Anyone planning on playing the mission again should download that new version first.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So, before I can cover this mission I need help, it seems the optional objective is utterly unwilling to trigger.

Edit: solved, had names mixed up.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

The objective only triggers when you find

Morgan's journal. It's in his room, either on the shelf or under the barrel. You then have to put it in Larkin's bedroom.

I might do break-in later.

Can safely say I love this mission, regardless of how the difficulty modes were handled.

I opted to play on shadow difficulty, the easiest, since it best allows me to showcase the mission, the dialogue and the loot locations.
I'll probably cover break-in in the future, but doing a no knockout, stealth score 0 run won't be doable while grabbing all the loot.

I love this mission to death thanks to the atmosphere, detail and amazing script, but I feel like the experimental nature of the difficulty modes aren't what I'd call a success. I think if we made break-in's nerfed light index a unique difficulty modifier in the options menu the player can simply enable instead of a difficulty mode built into a level it would be far better. As it stands I'd prefer that with a straight difficulty bump far more.

Edited by V-Man339
  • Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

I love this mission to death thanks to the atmosphere, detail and amazing script,

That's high praise; thanks very much! I'm looking forward to watching the video. :)

Like Sotha, Dragofer and Baal you've entered into a very select group of map authors who will be covered by me the moment they make something.

Melan will join this as I work through his creations.

I look forward to breaking through any more levels you make if and when the time comes again, Springheel.

Edited by V-Man339
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just played again on first difficulty, 100% loot and stealth score of like 10 ish.

Only real problem I had was getting the purse from the steps next to the gamblers. The ones by the metal bridge. I ended having to use a flashbomb to distract them and swipe it.

I don't think this mission is ghostable and 100% completable.

10/10

I decided to test whether this was true or not, and needless to say on shadow difficulty I stretched it to it's limit.

That said, I can safely say on Break-In this is absolutely true.

It's really rare that I have to cover a mission twice in video to showcase it fully, but your mission ends up doing that, so it shares honors with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory in that regard.

I think you're really on to something by nerfing the light index, I feel like this would make an amazing handicapper option in The Dark Mod itself right under hearing and vision settings. It brings to mind suit only runs in Hitman, or the tuxedo in Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. A really solid challenge run scenario to force the player into trying new things they're not used to.

• Like 1