The Dark Mod Forums

Gas mines and mines in general

Sotha

For a flash mine to work, you would have to have the trigger a couple of steps away from the flashing charge (just as flash bombs are also thrown on the floor in a bit of distance to blind the target). That way it could work.

I generally don't see any usefulness in flash mines. They require that the guard steps on them to be blinded. So, if you have time to set the mine and wait for the guard to step on it, you should also have time to sneak past the guard. And if you wait for the guard anyway, you can alsways throw a flash bomb.

This is an interesting thread.

At first, I was wondering why anyone would bother with trip wires associated with an explosive mine, as the floor mines have a sensitivity range. Then one person mentioned a trip wire would extend this range, ok I get it that. Part of the trip wire idea is as mentioned, would not be seen, which brought me to a thought. A trip wire would be more practical in lighted, semi-lighted ( I know that is a relative)... and mines would be used in the mostly dark or completely dark areas.

Which brought me to a thought: - now just regarding mines, I think it would be very interesting if a mine placed in a lighted, semi-lighted area of the floor in the open would be noticed by a guard - how could he not? - Esp. as usually there is no other debris on the floor, especially in a mansion type setting ( halls are squeaky clean). How could the guard not see this? The patrolling guard would say... "What is that?" - he could safely see this device a few feet away...and could slowly approach and disarm the device ( assuming he could) as a thief does. - this animation implementation would not be a work from the ground up, as there are already bending down guard/people motions. Seeing a mine, the guard could also bark an alert at least, as seeing one of these lying around indicates only one thing..............

This would be more of a tactical challenge to place any mine either in darker areas or hide them around an outcropping of a wall, or an object. Same would go for sticky mines. I would love it. And this gives good support/need for a semi-invisibly thin trip-wire

While the criticism of flash mines is IMHO fairly sound, I think gas bombs and gas mines should be incorporated in addition to gas arrows and flash bombs.

Particularly a gas bomb. I think it could be useful for reflexive self-defence or for non-lethal KOs where a long-distance weapon like a gas arrow would be a bit of an overkill. Mines, whether they go kaboom, create a flash or release gas, have, to me, always seemed like little more than an excuse to set up a trap.

Nevertheless, I find non-lethal mines appealing. Though as Springheel said, the flash mine is relatively less realistic than a flashbomb. Still, setting either a gas mine or a flash mine could be an interesting trap, or perhaps could work as a guard KO-ing puzzle. But as with all explosives in TDM, they should be rare and come in very low numbers.

The only major use I ever found for explosive mines in either Thief or TDM was in undead missions, where they were a weapon of last resort if I ran out of holy water, water arrows or fire arrows. As TDM undead are invulnerable to flashes and gas and take a while to kill in melee, using a mine on them can be an occassional life saver.

Edited by Petike the Taffer