The Dark Mod Forums

Killer Smartphone: 5.5", 2.5Ghz quad, unlocked, etc

Bikerdude

You can still get an offline map in the latest version by navigating to an area, hitting the search bar, scrolling down to the end of the list and choosing 'Make Available Offline', although the exact area it downloads to the cache isn't very clear. Still doesn't excuse the removal of other features such as My Places, Labs, route elevation & distance measurements.

And you could never use the GPS car navigation in offline mode anyway.

Somebody needs to build a small form factor battery pack for cell phones. It is thin, roughly the size of the phone, and can attach to the back via velcrow or something. It has a low-profile, right-angle micro-usb plug so that it does not stick out far and will not break if placed into a pocket. The actual USB cable needs to be just an inch or two, so that it can fit snugly with the phone...

I've checked and (surprisingly) I cannot find something like this.

Either that, or build us a case with a battery pack in the back.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

This is the kind of shit we have to deal with......

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/195587-what-mediaserver-why-draining-my-battery-so-much.html

Apparently a process that scans your media files will prevent your phone from going to sleep and also drain the battery incredibly quickly. Annoying as all hell.

I figured out what my problem was. After charging the new phone, I left it there for a few hours, and when I came back the battery was at less than half and it was warm. Turns out it was just building a database, because I also threw over 60 gigabytes of music at it when I plugged in my SD card. So that's what it was doing and that's what slaughtered the battery. The phone only has to do that once, though.

FYI That's why you can tell it the name of a song and it will find it in 64 GB in less than 2 seconds. If it actually had to go out and search the drive....... you would be waiting forever.

I've got a Nokia C101. It can call people, it sends and receives text messages, has a calendar function and it wakes me up in the morning. It does everything I want from a phone, but isn't smarter than I am.

Look at this sexy beast:

largenokiac1-01black.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

ARM Expects ~1B Entry Level Smartphones in 2018, $20 Smartphones Coming This Year

When we first started covering mobile, nearly every silicon vendor I spoke with issued the same statement: eventually, all phones are smartphones. Continued scaling on process technology, combined continued development of small/power efficient CPU cores, will ensure that even the lowest cost mobile devices will be smartphones.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-06%20at%202.45.30%20AM_678x452.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-06%20at%202.45.45%20AM_575px.png

I still have an old Nokia flip phone I got five years ago. I'll probably replace it with a smartphone later this year, because I'm tired of having to carry both a phone and my ipod around and would rather have a single device (and I'd like to be able to look things up without being in a wifi zone).

Btw, if I eventually go with an android phone, does that mean I lose all my itunes music?

Turns out I'm still having this problem. https://code.google....detail?id=37199

Apparently the "fix" is to upgrade to 4.2 where this has been patched. This doesn't really help if your manufacturer fucked you and left you on 4.1 even though your device is perfectly capable of running 4.2. Did I mention that if you root and load something like CyanogenMod to get 4.2 or 4.3, your warranty is gone?

EDIT: My solution is to disable anything and everything relating to media indexing to stop it draining the battery, and using a different media player that doesn't use that particular scanning method... like VLC

Edited by lost_soul

Somebody needs to build a small form factor battery pack for cell phones. It is thin, roughly the size of the phone, and can attach to the back via velcrow or something. It has a low-profile, right-angle micro-usb plug so that it does not stick out far and will not break if placed into a pocket. The actual USB cable needs to be just an inch or two, so that it can fit snugly with the phone...

I've checked and (surprisingly) I cannot find something like this.

Either that, or build us a case with a battery pack in the back.

You mean like this...?

31a7U4n8BRL.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/kyewvam

I have one and it's awesome. Definitely worth it. There are newer, similar models now too.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

What do you make of this? http://beranger.org/2014/01/30/how-kitkat-4-4-killed-android-and-google-keeps-screwing-things/

Perhaps over-reacting a bit... I wonder if Google are *really* trying to do away with SD support slowly, or if they just want to prevent Android from becoming the world's next Windows 98 in terms of security. I personally would be pissed if some rogue app deleted or took all my files on my SD card hostage, which this will help prevent. As long as you can read the files, that's the most important thing.

• 4 months later...

Meanwile, look at *this*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone_6

Look at how much they charge for this thing, and look at the specs. It costs close to a grand and has 1 GB of RAM. But hey, at least its 64-bit! Seriously, you can brag about that to clueless people as though its an exclusive feature. However, 64-bit will not get you very far at all with such little RAM. My Android device that costs a fraction of this has 1 GB of RAM. It also has a Micro-SD slot, and an HDMI port. When I bought this Android, I kinda felt like I was already getting an obsolete device, but next to the people who buy this new Apple "flagship" model, I made out like a bandit.

Now, its not my business to tell people what device they get. However, Apple has tried to ban Android devices in the past, like this. http://www.geeky-gad...u-s-28-08-2014/

Just because you have an army of followers who will buy anything with a fruit logo on it, does not mean you can try to halt progress for the rest of us, Apple.

Edited by lost_soul

Its all a bit late in the day, the Ip6 plus just about matches my Galaxy s4 -

- http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5125&idPhone2=6665

And then is slaughtered by the Galaxy note 3 -

- http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5665&idPhone2=6665

I just noticed the Note3 can record video @ 2160p@30fps, blimey!

Yeah as Android users, it would be cool to see Apple REALLY push the performance. If I had designed that Apple, I would have used 4 GB of RAM, a quad-core CPU, and a honking big battery to keep it going for a long time. When a manufacturer goes easy on the specs, their competitors can also skimp on hardware.

Its like the AMD vs Intel thing. AMD got clobbered in the high-end CPU world, but if AMD pulls out a monster CPU tomorrow, its good for Intel users too because it keeps progress moving at a fast rate for everybody.

Also, Motorola listened to us and included SD slots on their new models.

Edited by lost_soul

• 1 month later...

Somehow I broke the MicroSD slot on my Atrix HD. I insert the card but it does not read it. Now I'm considering getting something new, or perhaps I can fix this? Perhaps the pins in the slot are bent? Part of me wonders if I can slap an Apple sticker on this thing and sell it for twice what I paid for it. I mean, now that it has no (functional) SD slot, it is just like an Apple product!

(joking about this last part, of course)

Edited by lost_soul

I'm getting a 2013 Moto X myself which will replace my fairly long in the tooth Galaxy S2. The reason I went with the Moto X was because it was cheap, a rather powerful phone, will run the latest Android version 5.0 and has a good battery life.

The only problem I have with most phones now that people seem to be ok with is the fact that they're all so damn large. I mean even the Moto X is 4.7 inches and that for me is pushing things... Google just announced the Nexus 6 which is 6 iches big and the iPhone+ is 5.5 inches. How can people use phones that big comfortably in one hand?

I have large hands and a co-worker here recently got an iphone 6+ and it feels pretty "at home" in my hands however it has no edges at all. The sides are rounded and its slippery as hell. In fact, he himself moved his hand in a sweeping motion out in his driveway the first week he had it (last week) and it went flying and busted the screen.... LOL.

I'd like something a bit more tactile etc, but I guess that can be down to the case you have it in. He had one ordered but it wasn't in yet. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd day he had the phone that he broke it. Not funny...but pretty funny.

Edited by Lux

• 2 months later...

There are now X86 powered handsets. How come there isn't a comunity getting Windows or even PC apps in general running on these? I would imagine that if you can run Wine on Android, you would be able to "play" a lot of older PC games om the thing if it has 2 GB of RAM and a dual-core Intel CPU. I use the term "play" loosely though with a touch screen that small.

Still, where are all the enthusiasts? You wouldn't even need a shitty slow X86 translator!

Edited by lost_soul

Last I heard Intel Atom was still struggling in the mobile market. Just announced: there will be some new x86 Lenovo phones for China and poorer markets. But there's so much more ARM chippery out there with Apple A8, Qualcomm Snapdragon, NVIDIA Tegra K1 (new Tegra "Erista" SoC this year), Samsung Exynos, Allwinner, MediaTek, LG Electronics Nuclun, and more I forgot.

Some talk about Apple's move to 64-bit: http://www.cnet.com/news/the-real-reasons-apples-64-bit-a7-chip-makes-sense/

I was also surprised that Apple didn't jam 2 GB of RAM into their new iPhones (I use Android).

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2i21nx/iphone_6_multitasking_speed_test_puts_to_bed_all/

There's no shortage of Apple defenders. We all know that Apple phones are overpriced, but iOS != Android, performance of the dual core chips has matched that of many of the quad and "octa" core (usually 4+4 big.LITTLE) competitors, and the 1 GB RAM phones still perform well with lower power consumption than 2 GB of RAM would have.

I'm excited to see 3-4 GB RAM become common because it could begin to usher in an era where phone docking could realistically challenge both desktops and laptops (the Ubuntu Edge vision). Phones already have GPUs capable of handling 4K resolutions. In dock mode the phone would be charging so it could use its full CPU and GPU capabilities on a large display.

In a few more years there may be post-NAND storage in smartphones, boosting capacity and performance. Hopefully there will be an energy density breakthrough for batteries, which would allow much better phones, drones, wearables, and other devices that could greedily use more energy packed into a smaller and lighter package.

My days of hating MTP are officially over. I plug the device into the computer running Linux, and less than 2 seconds later, I get the option to manage files on the internal flash and the SD card inserted in the android handset. This is how stuff is *supposed* to work. No software installations, no unnecessary shit running in the background "listening for the device to be connected". It just WORKS!

MTP used to be a nightmare, especially in Linux. It is an open protocol, but the support just was not good yet.

Edited by lost_soul