The Dark Mod Forums

Hey, A new Youtube Gamer here

Nice videos. This cracked me up:

*Closes door so AI cannot enter the room*

AI: "A fiendlishly clever foe!"

You could maybe have the voice volume higher than the game volume. Somehow your voice disappears under the game sounds.

I know it is difficult (I can't do it), but those really good Let's Play commentators have always some jokes or funny remarks that increase the entertainment factor. You are mostly commenting what you are doing, so there is room for improvement.

Keep it up and enjoy TDM!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm not sure if it's a file size issue or what, but I'd definitely recommend merging the two parts into one video. If it is to do with file size, I'd render in 720p and then stick it into the one video. That said, it shouldn't be to do with file size, and if it is I can only imagine you're using FRAPS. That thing has terrible compression so if I were you I'd check out Bandicam or Dxtory, both of which let you change your output to something that will look the same but be a hundred times more efficient in terms of file size. I much prefer having one video to watch than two, and if you're bothered about views you're going to get next to none on the second one simply because of how long somebody can keep a viewer's attention. Unless you're absolutely hilarious or unique in your delivery of commentary, nobody will watch your video all the way through and definitely won't watch the second so you'll end up with a bunch of parts that will never see the light of day, which is a shame. Technicalities aside, like Sotha said, try to talk around the game more. Nobody's ever produced an interesting video that talks exclusively about the game. That doesn't mean talk about random nonsense and force anecdotes that don't really work, but rather try to think laterally when you're playing and say things that use your gameplay as a jumping off point for talking about something related. It takes pretty quick thinking and a very chatty mood to produce commentary that will keep people listening, I say that with experience of maybe a year streaming like a bored emo kid and a few more after that like a talk show host bursting with anecdotes and parallels without the pretense. Doesn't all have to be funny either; you can go off and talk to yourself about the games industry or, well, pretty much anything really, so long as it's captivating. The only two rules are A) don't narrate what you're doing and B ) don't fall into awkward breathy silence.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Welcome

Just had a quick look, regarding the audio you need to either lower the volume of the game or increase your commentary volume. The speed of the video is perfect, I didnt see any stuttering etc the only issue was the gamma is a bit low.

Thanks for the comments guys, they do mean a lot

With my commentary i understand i have to on tangents, its just hard doing so I just don't know that well how to continue talking, thus talking about the game so i don't be silent

but Ill try to go talk about something else, that could be related, and see how i go ^_^

I can only imagine you're using FRAPS..

I use OBS to record my videos then put them through an editor

unrelated to TDM, but I just saw your vid on the asylum level. How could you not even flinch a little at that keyhole moment? :P

Liked your TDM LPs. Especially that you're not overusing quicksave/load! But yeah, a little more entertaining talk around the game would be nice!

I guess no one else is going to ask but lol, are you 12? :P

It's always awesome to see more LPers. I'd do LPs but I don't like my voice and can never think of anything entertaining to say.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Her profile, including the information you ask about, is on the "About" tab on her YouTube page.

I thought they were fine LPs. Like anything, the more you do it the better you get, so keep it up. :)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I have no idea about how to be a better entertainer, so I can't help you with that. But let's play videos can be entertaining for several different reasons, some are because of a funny narrator saying funny things, others are groups of people discussing (yelling usually) random subjects while playing. I tend to enjoy comments from game developers or simply someone interested in game dev with insightful comments. So if I were trying to create an audience for my videos I guess I'd try and find in what way I can be entertaining. If you look at my videos you'll see that being completely silent is my best move (or I'm not trying to create an audience).

Anyway, great to see more TDM let's play! :)

unrelated to TDM, but I just saw your vid on the asylum level. How could you not even flinch a little at that keyhole moment? :P

I expected it coming :P

Good job, Tanika :) Nice to see you trying The Dark Mod. You might try the mission called, "Requiem." I found it interesting and fun

Ooh! I might try to do that next then :D

I've never used that before, but if you can manage to output each mission in its own one whole video it'd be simpler and a fair bit tidier ^_^ .

Ill do it on one whole video next time and see how that goes

I guess no one else is going to ask but lol, are you 12? :P

It's always awesome to see more LPers. I'd do LPs but I don't like my voice and can never think of anything entertaining to say.

Nope i happen to be afflicted with a condition known as being a female, and having a preb voice, its funny using my voice in online games

Thanks for all the comments and ill be sure to put them to good use ^_^

• Like 2

Watching the training video you recorded, just got into the object manipulation section, about the only criticisms I could level so far, is you go most of the way to explaining some things, and then stop a bit short, like explaining the lockpicking in depth, and then not mentioning that the locks often have a visual element that can be crucial to picking (noisy environment) or that you can use the key to re-lock the door to have another go at it (this is especially important for playing proper missions, as you can lock AI out of areas if they aren't able to get in there, while unlocking or picking the door means the AI can follow you through there if they get alerted). It might have been worth noting that there is no rake, so lockpicking won't ever get any easier than that (just as an aside).

It may be worth skipping reading out loud what's in the books, as people can pause the video to read it in their own time.

In the stealth section, you keep being seen by the unarmed Builder because you have your bow out, which raises your visibility, people unaware of the mechanic may be confused as to why you keep being seen in what *should* be pitch black.

Final note, try to vary the tone and/or pitch of your voice a little, it sounded very samey through most of the video, like you were reading off a script. Otherwise, the video was pretty well done, and you should do more!

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

There was a part towards the end of your introductory video where you assumed you were safe and ran right into a guard only to cut the video. I'm left wondering if we missed out on what might have been one of the best moments in your playthrough. Next time let it play out. Try working around the problem. More "misadventures", less video editing.

Edit: Scratch that. You did much less of that in the videos that follow.

Edited by rich_is_bored

I use OBS to record my videos then put them through an editor

I use that one, too. Pretty good programm.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter