The Dark Mod Forums

new Unreal Tournament announced: Mac/Linux support, free, and "community developed"

lost_soul

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-future-of-unreal-tournament-begins-today

This looks interesting... Hopefully this will be a lot of fun and have good maps. I still play Urban Terror, but the playerbase has declined significantly. We always need more fast-paced multiplayer chaos.

• Like 2

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

And the crowd goes mild!

From it being free to it trying to recapture something lost to the ages, I really don't think much good can come of it. It'll be lacking a player base and a direction, and really I'd rather just turn on UT99 or OP4 and start playing that instead.

• Like 1

Planetside 2 does a great job at satisfying that tribes/unreal tournament feel for me so it'll be interesting to see how the new UT fits in with everything.

I'll give it a go but yeah as you said Airship Ballet.. the crowd goes mild!

There are so many quake/UT style arena shooters that the whole topic is a meh-town express, I'm sorry to say.

Someone ought to do something completely new with the genre.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well, I've always liked a good deathmatch game and UT--e.g. UT2k4 (I hated the vehicle modes, loved vanilla TDM/DM and the coop), so I can't complain. However, I really didn't like UT3. Something felt "off"--maybe the netcode was bad? I don't recall. Also, sometimes I get the feeling that they add so much detail to the environments that it becomes distracting to the player's eyes and thus subtlely frustrating (and if that's the case, I don't have high hopes for the new UT).

• Like 1

Well, I've always liked a good deathmatch game and UT--e.g. UT2k4 (I hated the vehicle modes, loved vanilla TDM/DM and the coop), so I can't complain. However, I really didn't like UT3. Something felt "off"--maybe the netcode was bad? I don't recall. Also, sometimes I get the feeling that they add so much detail to the environments that it becomes distracting to the player's eyes and thus subtlely frustrating (and if that's the case, I don't have high hopes for the new UT).

Thats`why I´m still playing my good old UT99, when I`m gettin tired sneaking around.

There`re still many servers online. It`s the essence of Unreal Tournament. Hopefully

they creating a new UT with the feel of the first one without this optical superpalooza of

UT3 .

Edited by vvGarrettvv

When they use their new engine for this game then I think it will be "this optical superpalooza" again :rolleyes:

I must say I also love the first UT the most. It had great maps like Lava Giant and the graphics were decent while gameplay was important. Also 2004 was good imho.

Never played more from UT3 except the demo. I don't know why, I guess I was just so pleased with UT and UT 2004. I also disliked the high end graphics stuff.

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Wow this is a very cool idea! Never saw something like that before. Were maps like that also made for UT2004??

Some Unreal/UT "total classic" remakes, like these:

https://forums.epicg...-DM-Sunspeak-II

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/794593-DM-Radikus

etc....

Search for other *plain* conversions from Net Lizzard! They're *plain* portings!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Post Scriptum :D

Maybe you are interested in this nice little conversion tool too!

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/588848-UT3-Converter2-0-25c-01-22-2012

• U1->UT2004
  • U1->UT3
  • U2->UT3 (experimental)
  • UT->UT2004
  • UT->UT3
  • UT2004->UT3

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.