The Dark Mod Forums

howto run Darkmod under wine on Mac and Linux distributions

freyk

On Bikerdude’s request, you find here a howto install & run the darkmod with WINE,

with playonmac/playonlinux as frontend.

(works maybe also in playonlinux)

I would like to here your suggestions for the following steps.

If you try my howto, please let me know the right names for the tabs and other buttons.

(i translated this in my howto)

After a few suggestions/tips/posts, please add this on your wiki.

====

** howto run Darkmod under wine on Mac and Linux distributions **

In this manual i instruct you howto install and run darkmod, in a wine environment on Mac OS X.

Preparation:

OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8) or lower:

• Download & install playonmac and run playonmac once.

If you have Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.3) or higher,

1. Download & install xquartz
  2. and then Download & install playonmac and run playonmac once.

Installation:

1. Go to Download the mod-page and download tdm updater from ’install TMD on Windows’ section, place it on your desktop
  2. extract the tdm updater.zip file
  3. Run tdm_update.exe with playonmac.
  4. The automatic installation wizard appears, click on next.
  5. If asked what the name is for this application, call it ’darkmod’ and click on next
  6. Playonmac Automaticly create an virtual drive and start the darkmod updater.
  7. in the darkmod updater, click cancel. > Are you sure > yes.
  8. The darkmod updater closes. Click on ’cancel’, when asked to select a shortcut.
  9. The main menu of playonmac appears, click configure.
  10. in the new window ’playonmac-configuration’, select on the leftside darkmod and click on the last tab ’etc’ tab (??).
  11. select ’open folder virtual station’.
  12. Finder will open. Select ’drive_c’. in there, create two folders ’games’ and ’darkmod’.
  13. Move tdm_update.exe from your desktop into the darkmod folder. And then move the darkmod folder into the games folder.
  14. close finder. Select in the ’playonmac-configuration’, select on the leftside darkmod and then ’wine’-tab.
  15. In the wine tab, select taskmanager.
  16. the wine taskmanager will appear. Here select file > run.
  17. fill in the following command and click on ok: c:\games\darkmod\tdm_updater.exe
  18. The darkmod updater start. In this window, select ’advanced options’.
  19. in the new window, fill in at ’target folder’ the following path and click on ’save’: c:\games\darkmod
  20. click on ’Continue >>’.
  21. the updater automatically checks the files and pauses. After this, click on ’Continue >>’ again.
  22. The updater downloads the needed files. At the end, close the window and close taskmanager.
    If the download/applications hangs, close the application with the taskmanager and start again from step 16.
  23. select in ’playonmac-configuration’ on the leftside darkmod, and select the first tab.
  24. click ’create a shortcut for this virtual station’.
  25. Select darkmod.exe > next > give it the name darkmod > next.
    Again Select tmd_update.exe > next > give it the name tdm_update > next. Click cancel to stop creating shortcuts
  26. The apps will apear on your desktop. Move them to the applications folder.
  27. move tdm updater.zip and tdm_update.exe from your desktop to your trashcan.
  28. end.

Test the game for the first time

To test the game for the first time, do the following thing

1. select in ’playonmac-configuration’ on the leftside darkmod and click the wine-tab > configure wine.
  2. In the new window select tab ’graphical’
  3. select ’emulate virtual desktop’ with the size 800 x 600 and click ok.
  4. Run the darkmod from your applications folder.
  5. If it runs well, disable the virtual deskop, to run it on full screen.

Running and updating the darkmod

• To run the game, run the darkmod from the applications folder.
  • To update the game, run the tdm_update from your applications folder.
    (Don't forget to change the target folder)

Show the console

If you want to show the console in the darkmod.

1. Go playonmac-configuration, and select the darkmod executable.
  2. Click on the first tab (main??), add the following line at "arguments" inputline:
    +set com_allowconsole 1
  3. Start darkmod from your applications folder
  4. And in darkmod, hit ctrl+alt+tilde to show the console

===

Edit:

20140528 - added instructions howto show the console

20140529.1 - added information what to do if if updater crashes or update downloads stops.

20140529.2 - delete step 24. Installation of directx 9 is not necessary.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

if your are use my darkmod installer (for windows), instead downloading the darkmod zip, some steps are different.

1. Download and extract my darkmod installer for windows.
  2. Run this with play on mac.
  3. if the name for your application asked, call it darkmod and hit next.
  4. In my installer, at "select components" check only "darkmod"
    and don’t change the destination path.
  5. When the installer has done his job and you press finnish, the installer quits, but
    it don’t start the updater
  6. Playonmac will ask to create a shortcut. Select tdm_update.exe and hit next.
    for the shortcutname, call it "darkmod-updater", click next and then click cancel.
  7. The updater will appear on your desktop. Move this to your application folder
  8. Run the darkmod updater. and folow the steps (from step 18) described in the first post

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, TDM runs natively under a Linux distro.

it's not necessary to install and run TDM using Wine.

But at the moment when the manual above was written, there was no 2.01 TDM executable for the Mac.

If you then want to run the game on Mac OS, you had to run an older version, virtualize or change the OS.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 months later...

The problem with this for me at least is that it's very slow. The framerate is simply too low to play. That might be OS X Mavericks being the shitty OS that it is, and my computer being 5 years old, but it is an issue.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

• 2 months later...

Just to note, some people may need to restart their system before they can get this to work. They may not, but I couldn't get it to work when I'd first completed the process in the first post.

There may also be a problem with the system's ability to adjust fan speed while running the game (or any game with PlayOnMac?) since the bridge above the keyboard on my Macbook gets fairly hot just above the processor, without any fan speedup. Not sure what's going on there. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the game. Overall, this has been a successful solution for playing the game on OSX.

I do want to mention something related specifically to PlayOnMac: the steps to add desktop shortcuts did not result in the creation of any actual icons on the desktop. The software seems to think that they are there since it won't allow me to re-add them, but I couldn't tell you why.