The Dark Mod Forums

Do You Listen Or Watch Anything As You Mod?

Demigod

Personaly I like to have a small powerdvd window open in a corner and have one of my dvd's playing. Which is lots of fun when I build the bsp :lol:

Currently Ive just started on the James Bonds, after finishing of the pixar's I own (finding nemo is Ok but is their worst imho). I finaly got On her majesty's secret service after about a year of looking. I cant stand George L but the story isnt bad, besides I had to compleate the set didnt I. :)

Sometimes I run a webreadio on my wifes machine. Actually I got a TV card for the PC, but the problem is that I can't use it while modding. So I would need either a USB TV set that I can use on my laptop or I would need to put it in my wifes machine, but then I can't see it , only hear. So I'm usually working in silent. :)

Gerhard

I didnt know there were audio books of prattchets works. Very funny and satirical books

I must get going postal, I realy liked that book, I see amazon has them

Is Tony Robinson any good at reading them?

Edited by Demigod

He isn't reading the one I'm listening to, it's some guy I bever heard of, but's he's quite good , yes.

The narrator makes a massive difference I think, I recently tried getting toto Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but the writing and the narration were both flat and tedious, I don't think I'll bother with any of the rest.

My favouite audiobooks are the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (mostly read my George Guidall (he has a perfect voice for that series) and the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (read by various people, but Wizards First Rule is the best, both the writing and the narration.

And of course the Hobbit and LotR series read by Rob Ingris are a must. I listened to the Silmarillion too, it's actually makes it bearable as an audiobook)

I never actually read books any more, it's such a waste of time when you can listen to the same book while doing something else.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I tried to listen to the Wheel of Time- just to keep up with the series during the all too long wait between books. I love the series, but the audio version was unpalatable. Are you listening to abridged or unabridged versions?- I can't stand abridged ones.

King's Dark Tower series on audiobook is excellent- I've mostly listened to Frank Muller read them- he's really good, gets a bit over dramatic at times, though. After listening to him so much, it was hard to get used to George Guidall read after Muller's motorcycle accident, but it turns out I like him a lot too.

I actually really like listening to Stephen King read his own stuff- The Gunslinger was a pretty bad performance, but he gets a lot better after that. I've grown to really like King's kooky voice- it adds a lot of irony the others can't get, and he's just hilarious reading his "LT's Theory of Pets". Really short live performance, but it's a lot of fun.

Also, I highly reccomend Kings "The Green Mile" on audio- I think Muller reads that, too. King once said that Muller is his favorite audio performer.

Wheel of Time is a major suckfest now, it started going downhill around book 6 or 7, and now the books bring "plodding along" to a whole new level of tedium. Jordan's simply trying to cash in on hardcore drones. He's all out of ideas and the series shows no direction.

Sword of Truth is still going OK, but Goodkind is starting to show the same symptoms...

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

RJ really needs to finish wheel of time. I want to know the end but I really hate the way he writes women, major issues or what. Though I have known some like he writes them but most are human at least. :lol: Bet in the next or the one after he somehow brings Morianne (or however you spell it) back. Min hints as much in one of the books. I tried to read them all again for the realise of the new one, due in august btw but I got stuck in book6 it gets very tedious at times cant say why.

I haven’t read a Terry Goodkind since temple of tears. Which I had to import as at the time it took ages to get the uk version for some reason. I may get the audio books of them. Time to join the library again I suppose :) Between the cinema, games and books I have no money left. Still beats drinking and smoking I suppose :D

The Wheel of Time really is droning on and on- there's so many answers I want, though, that I guess I'm willing to take them as Jordan dolls them out- which is, admittadly all too slowly.

I have only read the first of Terry Goodkind's books- can't remember the title- I really liked it up to the end, which I found cheesy. I know that can't carry much influence coming from a Jordan fan, but I must not have been in the mood, because it really put me off. Maybe I should re-explore that territory...

And, IMHO, the best Fantasy series out there right now is George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. He's promised not to fall into the same trap Jordan has- he's limiting himself to 5 books, of which we have 3- although the 4th is taking forever for him to write. <_<

I tried to listen to the Wheel of Time- just to keep up with the series during the all too long wait between books. I love the series, but the audio version was unpalatable. Are you listening to abridged or unabridged versions?- I can't stand abridged ones.

It's unabridged, but I'm only half way through the first book and have decided not to go any furthur. I'm going to switch to Discworld instead. If you say WoT goes downhill from here, then it's probably a wise decision. Based on the first half of his first book , I don't think he's a very good writer. It's sounds more like a cheap third rate LotR rip-off than any thing I've ever heard.

SoT on the other hand is a nice unique world, Goodkind had lot's of great new ideas, and there's very little to connect it to LotR, which I seem to see in almost any of these fantasy type books, or moives or games.

Having said that, SoT has been going steadily downhill since the first (fantastic) book as well. I've heard up to book 8 I think and it's still OK, since by now I know the world and charcaters, but as a stand alone novel it's pretty weak.

I guess all these guys start to write filler novels to cash in on thier successes after a while, otherwise they would be writing separate novels rather than these variations on a theme.

The Dark Tower series cannot have that accusation leveled at it though, because it's really just one long tale, and becasue King has written many other great books completely unconnected with this one. I don;'t think I'd fancy listening to King reading hs own novels, based on his attempts at directing movies based on his novels) Leave it to the experts, Mr King.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Jordan's first book definately has lots of LOTR references, but soon goes it's own way becoming nothing like Tolkien. What I like about it is the extreme complexity of the plot line- so many twists and turns and sub-plots that connect (or don't) in interesting ways. I know many people find this really annoying, but to each his own, I guess. The writing isn't the greatest, but then I've read beautifully written books that were dull as soap. The books definately don't translate well to audio- you're right in avoiding them.

Back to the original subject of the post...One thing I like to do is to take all the Thief related music I have (even have a couple by Pakmannen from T2D) and mixing it with outside music that fits in. Stuff from the Matrix soundtrack, NIN, etc...

Writing the convos now I'm watching Millers Crossing, Blackadder and Richard III. Somewhere in the middle there is the style I'm going for. Also reading through the Norton English Literature Vol 1, which is a Bible of medieval and early renaissance writing.

Stephen King singing "Hey Jude" in the voice of Zoltan the crow is just hilarious. I think the crow's name was Zoltan- it was something like that.

It is, the raven has some great lines like 'Screw you...screw you and the horse you rode in on'

and

"beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot"

- Emil Zola

character models site

media-player is always running, while I'm working with Photoshop, Blender, Radiant or DromEd. I like almost every kind of music (I don't count Pop-music, Hip-Hop, Techno and crap like that to actual music) - metal (iron maiden, finnish viking/folk metal bands), classic (especially beethoven), movie-music (for example star wars), 'oldies' (like elvis, john miles, simon & garfunkel...)

My favourite modding/working music is the album Colma by buckethead.... Just an amazing serene instrumental album, totally mellows you out and allows focus. Also recommended when on shrooms!

I always listen to music. I never map w/o music. I get my inspiration from the music. Once I made a whole mod based on the music from one album. Everything was made from the emotions the music gave me. All the way from textures to level progression.

Music I listen to the most is (while modding):

KMFDM

Marc Pullen

Vanilla Muffins

AFI

Classical music, beethoven for instance.

NIN

Rammstein

I'm making textures right now, and the current list of bands on my playlist are:

Reverend Horton Heat

Nine Inch Nails

Led Zeppelin

Smashing Pumpkins

Tricky

Sunny Day Real Estate

Garbage

Propellerhead

If I didn't have anything playing in the background I wouldn't be able to sit in front of the computer long enough to do anything worthwhile.