The Dark Mod Forums

Might be going to Amsterdam.

Bikerdude

So, are there any taffers in that neck of the woods? would be nice to have a drink photograph some cool old parts of the city etc.

And can anyone recommend some of the oldest and coolest part of the city for me to go and see and the best times of the day to see them..?

ta.

Nah, there's no place in Deutschland that's even half as nice as A'dam. I speak from Erfahrung. XD

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

There are no canals - called Grachten -, the city is less green, the people are not half as nice and relaxed, there are no shops selling stuff that can be bought legally only in the Netherlands, the city center is not as old and cozy, it's much much noisier, and Berlin is generally much less laid back than Amsterdam. Also, I love the chaotic traffic where everyone walks just like they want and still no one gets hurt. In Germany, I sometimes have the feeling that car drivers are almost *hunting* bicyclists, especially in larger cities, while in A'dam pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter and car drivers somehow manage not to crash into anyone. Or so it seems to me.

SeriousToni, have you ever been there? If you like, I can give you some advice where to go in Amsterdam, where to stay and what to visit. I promise that you will *love* this city, especially in the summer. Oh, and did I mention the incredibly beautiful golden light that illuminates the grachten in the evening? And the boats that silently go by? It's just a lovely place.

Agreed, Berlin is not the most beautiful city, but what counts there is the way of life. You'll find open air live music and partys as well as artists etc. everywhere in Berlin, which makes it pretty exciting. But regarding beautifulness, you should go to some Bavarian cities like Augsburg or some places around the Mosel river. :)

7up, I believe you would have said that no matter which german city I mentioned, wouldn't you? :D

I really hope to see Amsterdam one day, but I don't have the money for paying a travel right now. I'd like to visit this country because I know many friendly people from the Netherlands.

STiFU I saw much of bavaria in my life and I must say I'm more into non-bavarian cities :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

7up, I believe you would have said that no matter which german city I mentioned, wouldn't you? :D

The thing is that I have been in many (if not most) German cities. I can assure you that there are no cities in Germany that even remotely resemble the A'dam that I described above. Should you ever visit this city, I think you'll agree.

Also, it's not so much about the money. You can get there quite cheaply (it should be around 500 km from Germany, which makes it cost two full tanks of gas for both legs of the trip), plus staying over night (better: several nights) plus food/drinks. I guess 300 € in total can get you quite a nice stay.

Depends on what you're into of course.

Probably hard to find a city as laid back & friendly as Amsterdam, even by California standards (although it's missing California's sunshine). But if you're into electronica, brooding, & serious philosophical discussions over beer, as I am, it's hard to beat Berlin.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The thing is that I have been in many (if not most) German cities. I can assure you that there are no cities in Germany that even remotely resemble the A'dam that I described above. Should you ever visit this city, I think you'll agree.

I was in Amsterdam long ago and hardly remember it, but if you ever want to visit a real old town, go to Venice and then away from the tourist spots in the evening. Canals and no vehicles at all! Like in another time...

Edited by wesp5

But regarding beautifulness, you should go to some Bavarian cities like Augsburg or some places around the Mosel river. :)

Sage advice.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

But if you're into electronica, brooding, & serious philosophical discussions over beer, as I am, it's hard to beat Berlin.

Yes, this perfectly describes Berlin and, by extension, Germany. We are a serious bunch. ;)

Yeah, but there are a lot of places where fun is allowed ;). When an American friend visited me last summer, he was amazed about drinking beer in public and people playing volleyball in the middle of Munich in a park with barely some clothes on which wouldn't be possible at all in the US :)!

Of course :)! There are even nude people there but none that you really want to see nude ;)...

Well, nude in this case surely means topless and/or in bathing suits, because in all my years in Munich I really haven't seen any nude people on the streets (and neither in the city parks).

FYI, different places in the US permit varying levels of nudity. In New York State, toplessness is legally permitted in public places due to women suing for the right and overturning the former prohibition.

In western states, full public nudity is tolerated to a greater degree than in eastern states (and fewer prohibitions).

In Maine several years ago a couple women were arrested for jogging completely in the buff, they got off as the law proscribed exposing genitals, which the arresting officers never saw exposed (pesky internal genitals).

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Well, nude in this case surely means topless and/or in bathing suits, because in all my years in Munich I really haven't seen any nude people on the streets (and neither in the city parks).

Well, then you never noticed the two dedicated places where full nudity is tolerated in the English Garden because of some kind of tradition. And believe me, you haven't missed anything, only very old men are usually there proudly showing their bodies ;)!