The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

chakkman

Just thought i'd open up a new thread for Thief 4, the "trash" thread seemed a bit prejudged for general discussions and announcements about the game. 50% off on Steam atm: http://store.steampo...com/app/239160/ Think i'm gonna get it and check it out, open-minded. I don't expect a sequel, or relations to the classic Thief games, but i'm sure it'll be a okey dokey game. I just hope the modern "Wow, look at this visual bogus!" stuff won't be too dominant in it. :)

Edited by chk772
  • Like 4

The game is not bad. It has a couple of nitpicks and some things I personally don't wanna see in a thief game, but it also does some things quite good. I've paid 50 euro for it and even if it isn't what I would call a thief successor in mind, I did not regret the buy. I've played through it three times, which is a good sign imho.

The only thing that is really annoying about this game is that it did not come with a level editor. The studio declined they'll ever release one, but I hope they change their mind in the future as it would be foolish to not release one imho.

However, enjoy it. (And than come back to TDM :) )

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

i'm sure it'll be a okey dokey game

I find it helps to pretend you're playing some kind of Dishonored spin-off.

I bought it cheap when it first came out £15.75 and I suppose it was just about worth it

I played it through on normal difficulty and then hardest but I can't summon up the will power to play it again.

My main gripe is trying to find the portals between sections (one window among many or a pile of logs with a silly cut scene - mash a key to move a plank sheash)

I would have preferred the blue portals throughout - at least you could find those

Re Dishonored - I much prefer that as it is more more open in most of the places and there are lots of different ways to get around.

One thing about Dishonored is that I much prefer to play low chaos as killing all and sundry gets a bit boring but then the last section is much too easy on low chaos

Thief 2014 (nuThief) is one of those great missed opportunities you'll remember forever, yeah, like duke nukem forever :D

Technically and artistically VERY good.....but the (rushed) story and the (trashed) direction are the real ghosts here!!!

Crysis 2:Thief Deadly Shadows=Crysis 3:Thief 2014 :P

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

OT :ph34r: I see RailGun here on the forums! Hi mate! Time to replay your FM with 2.02 :ph34r:

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Too easy, too linear. Bogus vaulting (or lack thereof) which made for limited creative approaches. Odd arrows that didn't serve much purpose, and tacked-on RPG elements that gave you useless and/or needless perks that should have been built into game mechanics if they wanted them that badly. The whole dumb Focus mechanic. Weird patchwork story, and a final boss fight completely incongruent not just with the rest of the game but with the Thief series as a whole. No Stephen Russell (yeah, the new guy was fine, but still). The visuals and animation were the only highlights, though the AI was disappointing.

But again, the limited, primarily linear levels. Just blech. An example:

http://i.imgur.com/5XVAlbS.jpg

I didn't entirely hate it. But playing it was the driving force for me to jump into T2X and TDM, because I needed an actual Thief experience that wiped the bad taste from my mouth.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

The map of the thief 4 level isn't accurate. There are actually a couple of way in each subarea, although the connection between the areas are bottlenecks.

The map of the thief 4 level isn't accurate. There are actually a couple of way in each subarea, although the connection between the areas are bottlenecks.

...and the idea of a pure geometric/level layout minimap is totally wrong in a thief game. As the aerial view in Skyrim :P

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

It looks very much like it, that's true. I'm also pretty sure it features a lot of the modern to-be-criticized characteristics like dumbed down game mechanics, lack of depth in the storytelling, focus on visual experience, and such. But the positive comments here tell me that it can't be all that bad.Looking forward to play it. Even the master edition can be had for 16,49€ now, so even if it's bad, it's not that much burned money. :)

*dumbed down game mechanics

->Not too much, the main problem for me is the stealth takedown with the blackjack.....I want to use the (upgraded) BJ in stealth mode AND manually, as I do with other weapons, but I can't!

*lack of depth in the storytelling

->Story isn't that bad.....it's badly told. Sometimes really badly. As I said before, Crysis 2:TDS=Crysis 3:nuThief

Edited by lowenz

What I have seen does not look like that. Dishonored is a game with tight mechanics, a cohesive setting, a simple but well-realised story, and good level design. None of that is in evidence in Thief 4.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

->Not too much, the main problem for me is the stealth takedown with the blackjack

Which can be disabled.

...and the idea of a pure geometric/level layout minimap is totally wrong in a thief game. As the aerial view in Skyrim :P

Yeah, it looks awefully out of place. Don't know what has driven them. :(

The best part about Thief are the graphics, it's a very beautiful game (minus all the indoor fog of course) and on that first mission where you have to break into the jewelers and its raining, I thought they captured the Thief element amazingly. Other than that.. yeah the game slides downhill pretty quickly for me.

Although I think the Dishonored comparisons are a bit unfair.. Dishonored was a much better game than Thief and more thought out oh and you can JUMP :P

But I think Thiefs problems are mostly from it's troubled development, if they had one set of views from the start and stuck to them with a dedicated team they could have turned out something great but alas not.

What I have seen does not look like that. Dishonored is a game with tight mechanics, a cohesive setting, a simple but well-realised story, and good level design. None of that is in evidence in Thief 4.

I didn't say I thought it was as good as Dishonored, but I enjoy it more when I forget that it is supposed to be Thief, instead of treat it like some new stealth game.

I enjoy it more when I forget that it is supposed to be XXX, instead of treat it like some new XXX game.

Unreal 2 way! :D

Edited by lowenz

Pretty sure I'm in a minority on this, but I ended up enjoying Thief more than I did Dishonored. I loved the player movement/control in DH, and really liked the graphic design, and that helped me overlook the cardboard characters and paper-thin story for about 2½ playthroughs. But after the umpteenth time of crouching down in a pile of fly-blown rubbish/corpses in the hope of finding another one or two coins, and seeing another body getting torn to pulp by rats, I thought "This is actually utterly revolting" and stopped playing. It's also totally humourless, and if any game needed at least a few laughs it was that one. I mean, I'm currently playing Dark Souls, and even that's had some moments that make me smile.

Yes, overall Thief's nothing amazing, and the main story was borked big time, but there were glimpses of what could have been. Erin had the seeds of being a genuinely tragic character instead of the irritating emo-teen/psycho-witch the game turned her into. And some of the side missions are really good, and it's genuinely funny at times, for which I can forgive it a lot. Apart from the burning bridge sequence. And the collapsing Keep sequence. And the final boss fight. But apart from that...

Keep (aka Angelwatch 2.0) is such a waste.....it could be an awesome level to ghost/explore.

Asylum (aka Cradle 2.0) is so "meh" compared to TDS Cradle.

Edited by lowenz

Fair enough. But I still assume you'd agree with the overall point, that the levels weren't as open and non-linear as most levels in T1 and especially T2. This level was far from the only one that felt restricted in a similar way in T4.

But T4 got me into TDM, which was easily the best thing I can say about it. So I'm happy it was released.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer