The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Poets & Peasants by Digi (6/29/14)

Digi

Poets Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, Fun, Frustration, Boredom, etc. (1 is worst. 5 is best)

2. 2. Appearance: Visuals, Lighting, Textures, etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Briefing, Readables, etc.

Just finished this FM on difficult.

It's a cool tyni FM, with a good amount of readables and loot to find.

I loved the Fidcal references xD

Just a little things that I think you could improve:

-One of the objectives says "don't kill anyone" and yet I managed to complete this mission after having killed the beggar.

-For some reason, it looks like the guards can't access the area where the beggar is.

-The hole in the wall is a rather obvious entrance. You should try to conceal it a little more or hinder its access.

Also, as a suggestion, I think you could add a patrolling non aggressive NPC in the second floor, because it looked rather empty.

But overall, considering the size of the file and that this is your first FM, nice work.

Edited by Jon Irenicus

Just finished this FM on difficult.

It's a cool tyni FM, with a good amount of readables and loot to find.

I loved the Fidcal references xD

Just a little things that I think you could improve:

-One of the objectives says "don't kill anyone" and yet I managed to complete this mission after having killed the beggar.

-For some reason, it looks like the guards can't access the area where the beggar is.

-The hole in the wall is a rather obvious entrance. You should try to conceal it a little more or hinder its access.

Also, as a suggestion, I think you could add a patrolling non aggressive NPC in the second floor, because it looked rather empty.

But overall, considering the size of the file and that this is your first FM, nice work.

Thanks for the review! I suspect I only applied the "no kill" objective to guards, but nice find. Let's just pretend we're all elitist nobility and we don't consider the poor to be people. :-)

Heard some similar stuff about the hole, and the only thing I likely would have added if I were doing it over again is more foliage around it to conceal it. The hole itself, more than anything, was a product of my newness as a designer, and I'm actually pleased with how it turned out (which was more realistic looking than my initial concept for it).

• Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't enjoy it, but I'm very much used to bigger maps. I think that Thief to a large extent can't be experienced unless its a mission with multiple ways around the objective and that by extension requires many rooms, side objectives, equipment to choose from (although that last point can be approached differently by finding equipment along the mission rather than choosing it at the start). Here its a hole in a wall and 2 rooms. I guess its more of a personal issue, aside from some small nitpicks others have already mentioned.

Well I didn't enjoy it, but I'm very much used to bigger maps. I think that Thief to a large extent can't be experienced unless its a mission with multiple ways around the objective and that by extension requires many rooms, side objectives, equipment to choose from (although that last point can be approached differently by finding equipment along the mission rather than choosing it at the start). Here its a hole in a wall and 2 rooms. I guess its more of a personal issue, aside from some small nitpicks others have already mentioned.

Thanks for your input. I've had my best experiences on larger missions too (though I have enjoyed several smaller missions as well), so I understand where you're coming from. This just wasn't intended as a large mission, and was actually just a sizable extension to the design tutorial for TDM that was fleshed-out enough to include as a full mission. I believe the in-game description does mention that it's a small level, though, so it's not pretending to be anything else.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the mission. Played it just now.

Geometry, patrols, readables, sound-world and objectives were simple but functional. The mission flowed well and I had fun. There were no irritations.

This mission was like candy for me: simple, compact and delicious.

Exactly the kind of mission I'd want to play if I only have some 1h of spare time or less. Not bad at all!

We could use some more of appetizer-missions like this. They have their place, too.

Well done, Digi! :D

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 1 year later...

Incredibly late reply here, but thanks Sotha!

I also wanted to pop in to say hi. I never intended to disappear, and greatly enjoyed my experience with mission creation. Life kind of took me different directions, though, and it's been well over a year since I've PLAYED a video game, let alone anything more. There were a fair number of people who helped me through the process, and I feel bad that their advice didn't go to someone who could stick with it longer. Still, it was fun.

So I don't know if I'll return to mission creation, though I do want to jump back in to playing TDM again at some point. Cheers, all!

Edited by Digi
  • Like 3

I just gave this mission a run and I wanted to say how much I enjoyed it!

The stealth problems are clear and thoughtful and the loot is well-placed.

Its no secret that the original Thief missions are large, but I'd argue that what you've done here in terms of stealth is a fantastic nod to the original series.

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 2

I just gave this mission a run and I wanted to say how much I enjoyed it!

The stealth problems are clear and thoughtful and the loot is well-placed.

Its no secret that the original Thief missions are large, but I'd argue that what you've done here in terms of stealth is a fantastic nod to the original series.

Thanks! Maybe the smaller missions in the original game have some similarities, but even those are universally more intricate than mine. But I do appreciate the comparison.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, duzenko said:

I feel dumb for asking, but where are the rope arrows?

They're in the southwest corner of the map by some trees and a coil of rope.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is a simple, fun little mansion heist. Enjoyable for anyone with half an hour to kill.

I finished with a perfect stealth score and all but 15 loot.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle