The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 2 by Melan and Bikerdude (2014/07/8)

Melan

My apologies to anyone who could not complete the mission due to the loot goal. But the weird thing is, the objective editor does not show them as mandatory. So, something is amiss here, but I have no idea what.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The objective editor does not show them as mandatory. So, something is amiss here, but I have no idea what.

It was a typo on my part, as we had a lot of optional and fixed objectives I mixed up which was what - that has now been fixed.

To everyone please re-download the mission from the in-game downloader or you can download it from the following link -

- Mega

@Melan, can you update the links in the OP, ta.

Done, thanks!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@ Melan & Bikerdude

hey guys, no worries it was a minor thing, I've had a blast loot hunting, I even managed to get into the armoury :D and according to the loadout there's still a ton of loot to pick up so I'm going to go find it :ph34r:

OK, the only way to force this change currently is to set the version number to 2. I don't suppose it matters that much but

we will see ridiculous version listings on the mission pages (I recall missions like Rightful Property and A Night to Remember

went through at least 6 iterations...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Can I make a really simple suggestion (of course, it'll require coding changes) for making the downloader work:

1. When providing information about each mission, one of the items provided by the server is an md5 sum of the .pk4.
  2. When fms/missions.tdminfo is updated the md5 sum of each dowloaded .pk4 is recorded
  3. If the md5 sums don't match then the mission needs to be downloaded

Of course, this means that when a mission is uploaded this information needs to be stored, and this checksum needs to be added to the stored and downloaded info ... and *somebody* has to write all this.

SeriousToni: unfortunately not, they have also spread to other countries.

Superb mission. Managed to ghost it, but with a truly abysmal stealth score (will download the new version and try again).

Bikerdude, I need to go *down*, not up (esme pointed me in the right direction). Sometimes I can be completely blind (though I think that door was nicely hidden).

Is it impossible to perfectly ghost this mission? It seems to me that there's one guard who you have to sneak by in full light, and the only way past is either to raise a commotion (definite failure), or spend a water arrow (soft failure). After that I spent one more water arrow in the fireplace, not sure that I needed that one, but that was all the tools I spent.

Thanks!

Water arrows don't break regular ghosting (only supreme ghost? I think). Anyway,

you can juuust sneak by that guard, but you do have to extinguish some flames to pickpocket the letter, so no way around that.

There are some fairly random situations in the mission due to AI behaviour, and a fair bit of variety depending on difficulty settings, so on some playthroughs, it may be very hard to get a good stealth score. But ghosting was never for the faint of heart. :)

Water arrows don't break regular ghosting (only supreme ghost? I think).

Well, I've found that I use so few tools (wish in a way that I could drop them all at the start now) that I now feel bad when I use *any* of them. On the other hand, I feel very sad that I don't have a use for all my tools... I guess in most missions all I use is one rope arrow (I do try hard to keep it, even at the cost of some fall damage) and at the most a couple of water arrows. Seems a pity, really.

On the other had, I've been playing with sound and vision "difficult", not "hardcore", so have just bumped that up and I guess I'll see how I get on.

It's just that I'd got all the way to the end with just the usual dodging (and lots of reloading on misses, have to confess), that I was surprised at the forced arrow. You say he's actually blind enough to sneak by? Will have to try that!