The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 2 by Melan and Bikerdude (2014/07/8)

Melan

Yep, I've done that but there's no change. I've tried the gate next to the place of execution and Tallow Gate.

I'm not sure where Tallow Gate is, but you've got to

climb all the way back up to the bridge at the very top (where you found the two key people) and go out the opposite way through an archway into a dead end outside.

Re the locksmith

found the extra key but had a slight problem in that the moving thing didn't move very far so I had a good look round for another switch then realised that it hadn't moved fully because I was standing in the way

I even killed the spiders this time - I hate spiders - without getting injured

So much for "nasty brutish and short". :) I've already played for an hour tonight, and have been basically stuck exploring the streets the entire time, trying to figure out how to get into the place I assume I need to get into (though I'm not completely sure).

I did finally find the Thief-esque pagan building, and now have a fancy key but I'm not sure what it opens. Just as I was quitting for the night I found a door I could open near the start of the map (into a kitchen?) but got busted immediately. I'll have to resume tomorrow and see if that gets me where I need to go.

The city is beautiful, and reminds me more strongly of the first section of Baffords than anything else I've played in TDM. Nice to see a couple of my new models already used here. :) Some lovely textures I haven't seen before too. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow night.

• So much for "nasty brutish and short". :) I've already played for an hour tonight, and have been basically stuck exploring the streets the entire time,
  • trying to figure out how to get into the place I assume I need to get into (though I'm not completely sure).
  • I did finally find the Thief-esque pagan building, and now have a fancy key but I'm not sure what it opens. Just as I was quitting for the night I found a door I could open near the start of the map (into a kitchen?) but got busted immediately. I'll have to resume tomorrow and see if that gets me where I need to go.

• The city is beautiful, and reminds me more strongly of the first section of Baffords than anything else I've played in TDM.
  • Nice to see a couple of my new models already used here. :) Some lovely textures I haven't seen before too. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow night.

• That might a direct result of my feedback when it came to optimising the map ^_^,
  • where you trying to get into..?
  • You need to go back there and "have a look around" as there is more for you too find. :ph34r:
  • Thats all Melan and that wonderful imagination of his.
  • Heh, I managed to sneak those in with the last update to the map ;)

Another great FM, congratulations Melan and Bikerdude!

The city is very gorgeous and detailed, the mission was very fun to complete from beginning to end.

I didn't find any use for the Fancy Key, I managed to find at least one door or grate for every other key I picked up.. but not that one. What did I miss? :)

By the way, Dishonored popped into my mind a few times.. :) The mission structure, the objectives, how you can resort to a more *cough* "pacifist" *cough* method in dealing with the problem, and also, the Hemlock Essence.. :)

Although I really felt like an asshole in the end. You try not to get your hands bloody directly by resorting to other methods in dealing with Montrose and Bailiff, but those other methods are even more sinister... Poisoning a commissioner (innocent life taken), and freeing a cold blooded murderer (who knows what he'll do next) just to get revenge, well, Gerald Foxley is definitely not a model citizen type :) It made me think for a second before I did what I had to, and that shows how well you guys pulled off the illusion of an immoral act, and it gave the world a cruel, hopeless feeling. Well played.

Edited by beyondthesun
  • Like 1

• I didn't find any use for the Fancy Key, I managed to find at least one door or grate for every other key I picked up.. but not that one. What did I miss? :)

• made me think for a second before I did what I had to, and that shows how well you guys pulled off the illusion of an immoral act, and it gave the world a cruel, hopeless feeling. Well played.

• It locks the door to
    back of the apothecaries place.

• heh, thats all Melan, he is a master storyteller.

The gate you need is to the east of "Willets bridge"(the bridge highup at the start), round the back of Montrose's place.

I'm not sure where Tallow Gate is, but you've got to

climb all the way back up to the bridge at the very top (where you found the two key people) and go out the opposite way through an archway into a dead end outside.

Ah, thanks for the hints. I've found it and must have missed the 120px-ISO_7010_E002_%2B_arrow_1.svg.png sign. :P

Edited by id3839315

drakodarko: Hm, that seems to be a problem that isn't related to the mission. Are you sure your TDM installation is up to date?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this mission a lot! I was surprised because I didn't like the first PD, and never finished it. But this one was great! Some of the switches were damn hard to find, but the underground ruins and all the climbing were awesomely done. Also, I missed about 60 loot. There's a code or something, right, to check if there's still something left?

Why does it say you need TDM 2.02 to play? I played this with 2.01, and it worked fine. I did upgrade a few minutes ago, though, having missed the news entirely. That's what you get for jumping straight to the FM forum.

Thanks! You can check out the remaining loot with tdm_show_loot (which shows the remaining total and their locations). WRT 2.02, the mission uses some assets from the update, and benefits a lot from the enhanced AI hearing/alert system, so it made sense to add that qualifier. But, realistically, people should keep their TDM installs updated anyway.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Outstanding mission-design!

I always enjoy that type of vertical architecture, that offers both challanges and opportunities.

And the complications it brings along with respect to the question 'where should I be going now ?'

Although it took me quite a while to figure out the first steps (where the hell is the guard-station??),

the mission led me well through the story without getting stuck anywhere.

Well, I explore a lot - which certainly helps a lot in such complex architectures.

I hit a bug in the jail:

at some point the guard without helmet must have noticed the murderer in his cell and started attacking him.

The other guard (with helmet) came to assist and somehow they got into each others way,

meaning, that they hit each other with their weapons.

So, they started fighting until the one with helmet was dead.

Since I did not want the other one to kill the murderer, I gave him eternal peace as well,

preventing him from making it impossible to free the prisoner.

First off, congrats on the release. Loving all areas to explore but have encountered this at the

butcher shop. 1st pic is the coins on the window sill. 2nd pic is me checking that they were actual loot to be picked up and 3rd pic is of the window view from outside. In the 1st and 2nd pics I could not get the loot to highlight no matter what angle or however close I was from inside the shop. I took the 3rd pic after I went and stood outside the window and was able to collect the loot from there (there was still nothing highlighting to show the loot). post-3777-0-06947500-1408213944_thumb.jpg post-3777-0-78405000-1408213972_thumb.jpg post-3777-0-09877700-1408214010_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd mention it. Will write more when I finish.

Most beautiful visuals of any TDM mission. If Crucible is going to be of this quality, I can see it making big strides for the stealth genre.

Help needed:

Where is the key to break free Scissor Jack? The note said it was going to be kept on the person of one of the guards, but both guards in the jail area (one by cells and other up the circular staircase) that I've encountered don't have a key on them.

Is there a difference in location for skill levels? I'm playing on hard.

Melan, if you consider these PD missions small/medium sized, then a large mission may end up taking me 4 hours to complete, as this one I've already been on for over 2 hours. Great length. Loved jumping and climbing, was able to get from street to very top (bridge of mishaps).

Great work! But I'm still not done. I could've killed the two, but I just knocked them out and am trying to find ways to discredit them.

@DL

• The first mission in Crucible campaign is roughly 2-3x the size of PD2 with... more Ai, more nooks and crannies and more atmosphere!
  • That key is - -
    on the belt of the Baliff

• And yes, Melan changed location of items & Ai, what doors were and weren't locked and where loot was located :-)

@Biker, thanks.

Neat thing I encountered while playing...

The weight of the statue in the bedroom makes possible a knock out the Elite Guard (Bailiff) by dropping it on his head.

Deadlove: Thanks! This mision is more on the medium scale. A genuinely large mission would be something like Bad Debts or Disorientation - but they were made over 9 and 11 months, and this one was made under 3. Of course, it was only three months due to all the work Bikerdude did on it. :laugh: But yeah, the campaign missions are all larger than PD2.

• Like 1

This was one of the only maps in TDM that I experienced a willful desire to wander aimlessly and familiarize myself with the map memorizing as I explored. It's just really pretty and the mood is conveyed in an extremely good fashion.

Starting the player with next to no health + no weapons was fantastic, it made it all the more tense because Foxley is especially more vulnerable.

Still playing it, and really don't have desire for it to be over yet, so there's a lot of replaying value there for me, which is always a good thing.

I'm going to take a spin on expert skill once I figure out what to do with the hemlock. I try my best to not resort to asking for help on the forum, I'm glad that it's here for mission guides/walkthroughs. I will say I think I speak for everyone that it's so much more satisfying to actually figure it on without the handholding.

• Like 1

penny2_2014-08-23_055839_zpse8a69e55.jpg

Okay, finished and must say, bravo!! Great work Melan and Biker!!! The inter connectivity and labyrinthian feel gave me deja vu to "The Haunted Cathedral" from TDP with winding halls and stacked stories.

penny2_2014-08-23_071335_zpse0ce858d.jpg

Climbing street to bridge very fun, all the climbing was very fun and thoughtful.

Multiple solutions for given problems (killing or discrediting) added dimension. Killing was easy way out to end mission sooner but discredit took more thinking and gave the player more reward and more game to play. It catered to both a fast player and a snail player, this is important, and well done IMO.

penny2_2014-08-23_032641_zpscb08012a.jpg

Discrediting was very straight forward in that the Bailiff's career was to be made by the hanging of Scissor Jack, so to let him go would make a big problem for him. Same for hemlock in the wine barrel for Montrose. Interesting enough, there is both a note talking about assassinating Scissor Jack while he is on the gallows, which tells me he might have been a patsy. There is also a note about the "special" barrel of wine that Montrose receives, so who knows what ingredients are in it that are different from the standard barrel everyone else gets.

Already said before, the city is beautiful. The lighting is beautiful, especially with the bloom enabled, this mission shines radiantly. The two people hanging from the gallows with the notes saying who they are and their crimes was a nice touch.

The wanted papers posted on the board for Gerald Foxley and others was a nice touch too, adding a depth to the environment and story giving it life of its own.

penny2_2014-08-23_071130_zps4febbae5.jpg

Really liked being able to kill anyone I chose as well or knock out with out having repercussions like failing the missions. Foxley seems quite a darker character, the missions reflect this and the playstyle / objectives do too. Well done.

Question.......How do you obtain entrance into the crypt? Somehow from the locksmith? The closet? I only discovered this area by accident from reading the forum and noclipping.

The diary of the thief who threw you off the bridge and took the grail from you! Great touch being able to get a glimpse into both sides of the world.

How many keys are in this map total? I found seven. 1) Jail 2) Jail cell 3) Delicate 4) Wine 5) Simple 6) Fancy 7) Skeleton / Hemlock seems to be figured in as a key but I didn't count that.

What key opens the door to the generator room? The room that has the boxes out in front of the door and is sort of across from the room that has the spiders in it.

I got 970 of 1388 of loot.

penny2_2014-08-23_071011_zps6abf3fd4.jpg

This mission had the most important element going for it in spades though, and that is simple...that it is just very fun to play and enjoy! Thanks Melan! How many missions are planned for the Penny Dreadful series?

I'm going to replay "PD1: The Grail Of Regrets" - I don't remember having nearly as much fun on that one, but I think that for some reason I just wasn't in right frame of mind because I enjoyed "Return To City" / "Fiasco On Fauchard" a lot so I don't know why "PD1" didn't hit me like your other missions, Melan.

Another topic, I really hope you and Biker can get the campaign (at least mission #1) released soon, even if you don't have a video intro...maybe you guys can add that stuff later on. Somehow I feel like the waiting time is starting to cut the nose to spite the face.

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful comments, Deadlove! Really appreciate this kind of thing.

On to your questions (first spoilered):

<p>

How do you obtain entrance into the crypt? Somehow from the locksmith? The closet? I only discovered this area by accident from reading the forum and noclipping.
<br></p><p>You are correct. You need to rook around in the place where you found the skeleton key and moe things around a bit. This will also allow you into the generator room, although not immediately.</p>

How many missions are planned for the Penny Dreadful series?

That always depends on how much I can actually build. I have ideas for three or four more missions as a self-contained storyline, but their size and scope could vary; this one is about twice as large as originally imagined. I think two of the missions (including the next one) could be relatiely small, and two on a scale like this one. Probably, don't take it as a promise.

Another topic, I really hope you and Biker can get the campaign (at least mission #1) released soon, even if you don't have a video intro...maybe you guys can add that stuff later on. Somehow I feel like the waiting time is starting to cut the nose to spite the face.

So do we... so do we. Mission one is really close to complete, though, and I will focus my efforts on mission two in the Autumn. There ought to be a cutscene between them; we will see how we can do it.

• Like 1

Providing detailed feedback is easy when the level of enthusiasm that any said mission makes the player feel and be able to express.

Glad to hear that is at least three missions more left in the series. Another multi-mission set like Thomas Porter / Thieves Den is always a welcome addition for me, I prize the campaigns with over-arcing storylines moreso than single missions.

Feel free to use any of the screenshots I posted as well if you care to.

How do I get from the room with the simple and fancy key through the closet to the small room with the skeleton key? The closet doesn't seem to open from frobbing. The only reason I know this area exists is because I noclipped and found it by accident.

Edited by Deadlove

Deadlove:

Look for a secret lever behind the bed.

Really loved this one Melan and Biker , thank you.

Edited by raymeld

Thanks!