The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 2 by Melan and Bikerdude (2014/07/8)

Melan

It depends on the difficulty - on Hard/Expert,

you can't enter the back alley because the door is locked, and on Expert, there is no rope to climb. On these difficulties, there is a blackjack at the city watch shack ("small armoury") across town... and I think the thieves in the sewers may have one (I can't recall perfectly).

A lot of the challenges in the mission depend on the difficulty setting - extra AI with more insidious patrol routes, harder access to various locations, and less equipment.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fair enough - there is nothing wrong with choosing Normal. I typically play missions on Hard myself. But I do strive to make Expert a challenge. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 5 months later...

New frobbing bug, can't frob a money pouch in the first second story floor after the gatehouse.

I have a save this time, where do I put that to see this fixed?

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 4 months later...

Unfrobbable Loot

There is a purse on a bedside table that I cannot highlight, no matter what position or angle I approach it from. It was surrounded by other coins and assorted frobbable items, including sliding drawers, but i just cannot pick the purse up. There are 2 video walkthroughs that I checked and both had no problem in acquiring the purse. I actually came across switches that were very difficult to highlight, but eventually I succeeded. Is this a general problem with DarkMod ?

I've attached a picture of the loot. It's in a room accessed via balcony and is the room where you can frob a picture on the wall to fetch a necklace on a bust.

post-38134-0-21863000-1510876466_thumb.jpg

I don't recall anyone else having this specific problem, but I think it is something that can happen every once in a while. Sorry!

I don't recall anyone else having this specific problem, but I think it is something that can happen every once in a while. Sorry!

I noticed that highlighting in general was picky. This may be a sensitivity issue particular to my setup, but I can't find anything under Options to alter it. I noticed a few messages ago, by V-Man339, that he speaks of a similar problem if not the same one. Was that resolved ?

There is a purse on a bedside table that I cannot highlight, no matter what position or angle I approach it from.

I just tried frobbing that item, running TDM 2.05 under (32-bit Slackware 14.2) Linux and it was exactly as you experienced. No matter what I did, it would not highlight.

Curiosity got the best of me and I dug into it. It turns out that the fix is very simple. After a lot of trial-and-error testing, I eventually got the idea for the simplest fix from the last paragraph of the Wiki page about frobbing.

Basically, when this line is added to the problematic entity (named 'atdm_loot_spilt_purse_silver_1'), it becomes properly frob-able once again:

"frobbox_size" "0"

To the map's authors: If you decide to make a change, I think you'll find that the "DresserFrobControl" entity is unneeded. In fact, removal of that entity, even without the addition of a "frobbox_size" specification on the loot purse entity, will make the purse frob-able as well. I'm no mapper, but if I understand correctly, the loot purse's default frob-box area intersects with the clip area of that "DresserFrobControl" entity.

To CountMorillonite: If you'd like to try the fix, extract the contents of the mission's PK4 file (it's just a zip file with a ".pk4" extension) in place. To be safe, rename (or move) the original mission PK4 file once you've done that to avoid any possible "collision". Edit the (text-format) 'allthewayup.map' file. Find this entity (the un-frob-able loot purse):

// entity 409
{
"classname" "atdm:loot_spilt_purse_silver"
"name" "atdm_loot_spilt_purse_silver_1"
"inv_loot_value" "25"
"origin" "4051.08 1667.42 -115.399"
"rotation" "0.819153 -0.573577 0 0.573577 0.819153 0 0 0 1"
}

If, say, after the "inv_loot_value" line, you add the line mentioned earlier, the purse should become frob-able once again.

Good luck (and thanks for reporting the bug)!

• Like 1

I just tried frobbing that item, running TDM 2.05 under (32-bit Slackware 14.2) Linux and it was exactly as you experienced. No matter what I did, it would not highlight.

Curiosity got the best of me and I dug into it. It turns out that the fix is very simple. After a lot of trial-and-error testing, I eventually got the idea for the simplest fix from the last paragraph of the Wiki page about frobbing.

Basically, when this line is added to the problematic entity (named 'atdm_loot_spilt_purse_silver_1'), it becomes properly frob-able once again:

"frobbox_size" "0"

To the map's authors: If you decide to make a change, I think you'll find that the "DresserFrobControl" entity is unneeded. In fact, removal of that entity, even without the addition of a "frobbox_size" specification on the loot purse entity, will make the purse frob-able as well. I'm no mapper, but if I understand correctly, the loot purse's default frob-box area intersects with the clip area of that "DresserFrobControl" entity.

To CountMorillonite: If you'd like to try the fix, extract the contents of the mission's PK4 file (it's just a zip file with a ".pk4" extension) in place. To be safe, rename (or move) the original mission PK4 file once you've done that to avoid any possible "collision". Edit the (text-format) 'allthewayup.map' file. Find this entity (the un-frob-able loot purse):

// entity 409
{
"classname" "atdm:loot_spilt_purse_silver"
"name" "atdm_loot_spilt_purse_silver_1"
"inv_loot_value" "25"
"origin" "4051.08 1667.42 -115.399"
"rotation" "0.819153 -0.573577 0 0.573577 0.819153 0 0 0 1"
}

If, say, after the "inv_loot_value" line, you add the line mentioned earlier, the purse should become frob-able once again.

Good luck (and thanks for reporting the bug)!

I've gone past that mission and onto Part 3 of Penney Dreadful. But your fix is greatly appreciated. For me because I now know it's not something wrong with my setup, and for everyone else for when they come across this problem in the future.

I've gone past that mission and onto Part 3 of Penney Dreadful. But your fix is greatly appreciated. For me because I now know it's not something wrong with my setup, and for everyone else for when they come across this problem in the future.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4494

In 2.05 we attempted to give the some items more realistic frob sizes to prevent exploits (etc). This has broken a number of maps

that rely on the unrealistic frob distances\positions. It also seems to break some realistic frob distances where the asset is rotated (etc)

so that the frob orientation is beyond some threshold. That change will be reverted in 2.06.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

but there might be a mapping bug, I need to check.

ok

btw....when I said "other mission as well", I didn't mean other missions constructed by yourself. I found unfrobbable loot items in missions built by other authors too. Going into noclip mode did not resolve the problem (I thought it might be too cramped within its location). But the item of interest would not highlight no matter where you spatially placed yourself.I don't know if that helps you in any way.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfrobbable Loot

There is a purse on a bedside table that I cannot highlight, no matter what position or angle I approach it from. It was surrounded by other coins and assorted frobbable items, including sliding drawers, but i just cannot pick the purse up. There are 2 video walkthroughs that I checked and both had no problem in acquiring the purse. I actually came across switches that were very difficult to highlight, but eventually I succeeded. Is this a general problem with DarkMod ?

I've attached a picture of the loot. It's in a room accessed via balcony and is the room where you can frob a picture on the wall to fetch a necklace on a bust.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Fixed

Its actually PD2

As I am fixing another bug in this mission already I will fix this also.

If Nbohr is right and it's due to stretching the normals, there's no reason to assume it's not happening to other resized models as well.

Fixed.

Evneing

I have fixed the above bug and will go through this thread looking for any other that got mentioned since release, Im looking for some volunteers to beta test the latest version of the map -

I can help with this, I haven't played this FM in a while and I've got some free time this weekend

Ok grand, let me a do a run through of the map and I will post an a download link in the beta thread.

Can I get a change list? I'm just beginning coverage and don't want it to be for naught.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.