The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.8.1 released

DarkRadiant 1.8.1 is ready for download. This release contains numerous bug and stability fixes as well as one new feature for flooring objects. Some improvements have also been made to better support different game types.

Download DarkRadiant from our website: http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/. Thanks go out to the brave pre-release testers!

Note that you might need to update the VC++ redistributable, get it here:

The list of changes can be found on the our bugtracker changelog.

As usual, please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

As probably not everybody is reading the changelogs, here is the summary of changes:

New Features / Changes

• support for xreal detal brushes (#3319)
  • Loading and saving maps in Quake 3 format (#3628)
  • Save dialog should offer option to write map using different format (#3627)
  • Make custom bind commands valid targets for keyboard shortcuts (#3626)
  • Skin Chooser on by default (#2019)
  • Add AI Editing Panel for TDM (#3621)
  • Persist SelectionSets to .darkradiant file (#3638)

Bugfixes

• Fixed: Select all models of same type not working anymore (#3690)
  • Fixed: 0003718: [scripting] Script to find missing targets (#3718)
  • Fixed: MD5 Anim Viewer doesn't remove models after trying to preview a missing mesh (#3644)
  • Fixed: Can't save prefabs (#3650)
  • Fixed: Copy/Paste map elements seems to be broken (#3652)
  • Fixed: Cannot drag selected child primitives when "tabbing" through a func_static entity (#3642)
  • Fixed: Cannot drag selected child primitives when in Group Part selection mode (#3641)
  • Fixed: Crash when hiding two or more selected patches while PatchInspector is visible (#3639)
  • Fixed: Model Selector shows duplicate (previously selected) model after undo operation (#3637)
  • Fixed: Readable editor not accurate WYSIWYG (#3062)
  • Fixed: Changing Filters is triggering an Entity List refresh even when it's hidden (#3619)
  • Fixed: Game-specific settings might be picked from the wrong .game file (#3618)

Have fun!

• Loading and saving maps in Quake 3 format (#3628)

I was happy to read that, unfortunately it doesn't work with map files exported from Blender. In this post there are 3 examples of MAP format. The third one is the one that Blender exports. The workaround has always been to use Quake to Doom 3 map converter.

It's only a model...

I just installed the new version, but when I try to run it I get an error saying that I'm missing MSVCR110.dll. When I try to download VC++ 2012, it says I already have it. What do I need to do?

Nm, just reinstalled VC anyway and now it works.

Wow, that AI panel is great! Even if mappers don't want to change anything, seeing what the defaults are is very informative, and will be super useful for those who don't know how things work under the hood. I noticed a couple discrepancies though:

1. "can drown" does not appear to be checked off by default, although most AI can drown

2. "AI is immune to KO at high alert levels" seems to be checked off for human AI by default--it should only apply to AI that have helmets (and it's a little dicey giving mappers easy access to change that, as it's a basic gameplay convention).

1. "can drown" does not appear to be checked off by default, although most AI can drown

I'll try to reproduce that.

edit: it seems that can_drown is not set on atdm:ai_base, I assume the game code defaults to "1" (true). If it won't be set in the defs I'm going to hardcode the default setting into DarkRadiant.

2. "AI is immune to KO at high alert levels" seems to be checked off for human AI by default--it should only apply to AI that have helmets (and it's a little dicey giving mappers easy access to change that, as it's a basic gameplay convention).

Ah, didn't know that it's supposed to be internal. I wll remove it, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive gone back to 1.8.1 pre4 as somehow a wip map I had been working on got completely corrupted. all the brushes in the map were viewable in camera view but missing from ortho view.

That sounds a bit strange. What do you mean by corrupted? If they are defined correctly in the .map file, the renderings should both be fine. I wouldn't immediately blame the 1.8.1 release on that, because there are very litle changes between pre4 and the actual release, and these are mostly patch rendering-related. Is the .map file ok?

• 3 weeks later...

The Ubuntu PPA https://launchpad.ne....series_filter= only lists 1.8.0, and it is only for newer Ubuntus.

Since I'm stuck here with 10.04, is it possible somebody compiles DR 1.8.1 for Ubuntu Lucid and Trusty (the nwest Ubuntu)? Thanx!

(I forgot to mention that I'm on x64, not 32 bit :)

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax