The Dark Mod Forums

Desktop Lamp: Tiffany-style

Darkness_Falls

Moving this to the 'Concept Art' area, per Springheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I drew this concept of a lamp a while back for our Mod. Thought I'd post in case it helps to inspire something. I haven't colorized it, but let me know if you want me to? I envisioned the lamp shade part to be like a Tiffany® type of lamp with all sorts of colors, kind've like a stained glass window. The post and/or base of the lamp could also be textured to be made more ornate/textured, if you modelers wanted to "get crazy with it" like Bob Ross... :D

tiffanylamp.jpg

Update: God Is My Goldfish wrote this, which I thought might be cool:

An interesting effect that's possible with something like that is to have the colors from the glass lid projected across the room. It shouldn't be hard to do either, as renz posted a d3world thread on projecting textures as lights a while ago.
Edited by Darkness_Falls

• 2 months later...

We need to be careful about all these electric lights. Electric lights should only be used in places where the FM author doesn't want the player to be able to put them out. The majority of lights in our 'Victorian' settings should be gas.

Oh yeah, those. :) But they still should be rare in our setting. They weren't invented in RL until 1890, after all, so they're not really Victorian. If our thief expected most of the lights he encountered to be electric, he wouldn't bother carrying water arrows.

I'm not 100% sure how Victorian gas-lamps worked. We can assume for our purposes the gas stops flowing once the flame goes out though. :)

True, true... make electrical lights rare? I agree. However, I actually found the mixture of both electrical and gas lighting in T2 to be quite intriguing. Made me wonder 'why' is this so? The mixture of future & past made Thief what it is. But, yes, electrical lighting should be more rare.

When I made the concept for this, I was thinking of those small green "banker" desktop lights used in T2. It was cool to see them as 'mood/atmosphere' lighting. A dim-glowing Tiffany lamp like this is just an alternative if we decide to want them. The dim mixture of colors projected from this lamp shade onto a wall or object would be interesting to see in-game.

We need to be careful about all these electric lights. Electric lights should only be used in places where the FM author doesn't want the player to be able to put them out.

We're creating tools for modders. If they want electric lights, we might want to give them more than one or two models to work with. Being a little exaggerated, but u know what I mean?