The Dark Mod Forums

Russian translation of FM

charisma

FYI someone already did a Russian translation of my FM Patently Dangerous back in 2009 and released it on a Russian forum back then. I wish I could help you track it down. It should be out there somewhere.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@demagogue: HellFier seems to be the guy to contact (see first post)

He started translating Patently Dangerous, obviously.

Russian: http://darkfate.org/...m0&topic=311.15

Google-translate to english: http://translate.goo...IcY4a_Vb4f_AA8A

In that thread there also seem to be discussions on fixing fonts (or how to use them correctly), etc....

But I have no idea where any translated FM or fonts fixes might be available for download.

Edited by gnartsch

Yeah, that works just awesome, but we need to change the *.xd-files, is that ok? What if the author wants to make some changes in the mission?

That's what I'm worried about.

Well, yeah, that might be a problem. But frankly, the entire "the author prepares the mission for translation, translators only translate stings" never really worked out AFAICS from the current status of the missions. How well does the russian translation integrate with the other translations? Is it a seperate work, or just "another language added"?

And a new problem today: some wrong symbols.

1. the small "я"

post-34611-0-94726300-1407771334.jpg

I thought I need to change only *.dds-files, but it didn't worked. Should I edit something else?

Is this a font-mismatch due to http://wiki.thedarkm...Charset#Russian ?

For Russian, is there already a remapping table as explained in http://wiki.thedarkm...aracter_mapping ?

2. the doubled breve in "й"

post-34611-0-15598700-1407771330.jpg

This might simply be the case that й is "too heigh", e.g. the font needs to be patched to reduce the size of this letter a few pixels at the top.

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, yeah, that might be a problem. But frankly, the entire "the author prepares the mission for translation, translators only translate stings" never really worked out AFAICS from the current status of the missions. How well does the russian translation integrate with the other translations? Is it a seperate work, or just "another language added"?

It depends on what you think a "separate work" would be. If by "separate work" you mean a standalone version of the game that should be downloaded by russian players on its own, that's not what we want to achieve. Until now we struggle to make our translation be a part of the mission, as it actually should be. For example in case of level maps we don't replace the original english .dds files with russian ones. Instead we replace the filepath linking a certain map in the mission code with a #str_nnnnn , because that way every translation could get an own map, while english still stays the default one. What I want to say is that it would be fine if our translation would be a part of TDMs localization packs that are available for some missions.

Is this a font-mismatch due to http://wiki.thedarkm...Charset#Russian ?

For Russian, is there already a remapping table as explained in http://wiki.thedarkm...aracter_mapping ?

Exactly. There is a file called "russian.map" inside "tdm_base01.pk4".

{
    0xFF    0xB6		    // я
}

This might simply be the case that й is "too heigh", e.g. the font needs to be patched to reduce the size of this letter a few pixels at the top.

Thanks, I'll check this.

• 8 months later...

That's a huge heap of work you've got done there!

Has there been any discussion yet how to implement the subtitles, or do we have an established method already? There are easy ways to get text at the bottom of the screen, so it shouldn't be too difficult technically, but it might need a code tweak unless there's something already built in to the i18n system.

• Like 1

Here are some stats in case someone is wondering where the hell the promised translations are:

- 44 missions are translated at this moment (less than a year has passed since I started to work on it);

- we have 7 fully translated and tested FMs;

- all russian fonts were fixed (with help of chedap, Tels and Radiant); download link here and in the first post;

- we've started to work on subtitles (English+Russian). Only writing the text now, the technical part will be someday handled by the programmers (as we all hope);

- we have first recordings of translated audio files spoken by semi-professional guys who do radio shows and/or play at a theatres;

Is there a link to a ZIP of the font files? I'd like to mirror them on my server. And I think, they should also be included in the next TDM update?

Good work! Nice to see it continue!

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

That's a huge heap of work you've got done there!

Has there been any discussion yet how to implement the subtitles, or do we have an established method already? There are easy ways to get text at the bottom of the screen, so it shouldn't be too difficult technically, but it might need a code tweak unless there's something already built in to the i18n system.

There where a few discussions, but nothing has been decided yet. Some difficulty is that some spoken texts might have subtitles and some not ("hum", "whistles"), depending on wether it is "full subtitles (for deaf people)" or "subtitles for easier reading".

The biggest challange is that the subtitle must be "per audio file", not "per sound shader" as some shaders have wildly different audio files in them.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Moonbo, SteveL.

Tels, here you go, zip-file with fonts. I hope someday they will be included in TDM.

About the subtitles: I am making the full texts (for "hmmm", "argh", "cough" etc.). I guess it will be easier to cut unused lines later (if needed). When done I'd like to have someone who can just check them all, 'cause sometimes there's just mumbling which non-native speaker can't easily understand :D

The biggest challange is that the subtitle must be "per audio file", not "per sound shader" as some shaders have wildly different audio files in them.

Tell me if I can help when the time comes. I learn quickly and will be glad to help with subtitles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

- we've started to work on subtitles (English+Russian). Only writing the text now, the technical part will be someday handled by the programmers (as we all hope);

- we have first recordings of translated audio files spoken by semi-professional guys who do radio shows and/or play at a theatres;

Переводили бы вы на старославянский, было бы по интереснее.

Are there any Russian communities that are dedicated to programming?

I'm trying to learn to program, want to get good at modding games. I'm a complete noob at the moment.

Переводили бы вы на старославянский, было бы по интереснее.

Да, и правда. Проходить бы вообще можно было бы наугад.

19483-2.jpg

P.S. для того, чтобы моддить, программирование знать полезно, но не обязательно

Edited by charisma
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, is this an example of a in0game readable..?

He-he, no :). It seems that this is some kind of an illustration from the "Kadisma" book ("The Book of Psalms") written in Church Slavonic language somewhere in XVII-XVIII centuries. I think the point of the last charisma's post was that kakarotto is wrong that there is no need to translate TDM FMs to Russian.

I think the point of the last charisma's post was that kakarotto is wrong that there is no need to translate TDM FMs to Russian.

In the sense that old Slavic is waaaay harder to translate.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 months later...

Судя по списку: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KtsvFOvlndWiOEUCcDc0TtSXhYTBIuYiez_h_ZxWzKA/edit#gid=691031737

Выглядит ОЧЕНЬ впечатляюще. Есть примерные прогнозы когда всё это будет готово к публикации?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

Выглядит ОЧЕНЬ впечатляюще. Есть примерные прогнозы когда всё это будет готово к публикации?

Спасибо :blush: Прогнозов нет, т.к. я делаю это в свободное время и когда есть желание. И тут не всем нравятся мои методы, так что скорее всего все это будет доступно только на darkfate.org.

I am still updating my first post for those who really cares. Today's status: at this moment we have 76 translated missions.

Edited by charisma
  • Like 1

Спасибо :blush: Прогнозов нет, т.к. я делаю это в свободное время и когда есть желание. И тут не всем нравятся мои методы, так что скорее всего все это будет доступно только на darkfate.org.

Будет доступно только на darkfate.org, из-а того что перевод идёт в пошаговой последовательности?

В смысле, те миссии которые уже переведены можно было бы опубликовать и внедрить в игру - разве нет?

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Нет, просто мы правим много в исходных файлах, чтобы перевод был полным. Иногда увеличиваем количество страниц в "читалках", чтобы текст влезал (английский язык довольно емкий при том, что большинство слов в нем короткие, а русский скорее наоборот - редко когда перевод не превышает объема оригинала. И если какие-то места можно "укоротить", то в некоторых это абсолютно невозможно без потери существенной части оригинального текста) Плюс мы добавляем переводы табличек, карт, т.е. всей графики, и на очереди у нас озвучка. Команда TDM показала себя не готовой к такого рода внедрениям, боясь, что мы много всего испортим, а авторы некоторых отдельных миссий и вовсе пытались запретить нам менять исходные файлы. Где возможно обойтись без этого - мы это делаем, где нет - извините. Наша цель - ПОЛНЫЙ перевод на русский, близкий к профессиональному, а не любительская работа. Мы тщательно тестируем все переведенные миссии перед тем как обращаться к кому-то здесь, но тем не менее нам не доверяют. Так как перевожу только я, а тестируют 1,5 человека, то работа движется медленнее, чем хотелось бы. Но все переведенные миссии может тестировать любой желающий, они доступны для скачивания на google диске. Мы лишь просим всех тестирующих делать подробнейшие отчеты: от мелких опечаток до серьезных ляпов в грамматике и вообще неточностях перевода. В переводе как миссий так и озвучки тоже может принимать участие любой желающий, работа ведется тут и тут. Если нужен аккаунт, я могу прислать инвайт.

For english-speaking ppl, here is a brief description of the text written above: I am saying, that our translations will be most likely presented only on darkfate.org, due to various reasons. We change a lot of files to make our translations more like professional work (this is what TDM deserves) not an amateur. We're changing xd's, maps, decals - everything to make a FULL translation. We're testing our translations minumum 2 times before saying that a mission officially has a russian translation. But still some people here doesn't believe in us and are sceptical about our work.

And I am posted some links:

- our google drive derictory with all the translated missions ready for testing;

- we're translating our missions on a flexible website for translators, where everyone who wants can participate;

- the link for the subtitles is here;

two last links require membership on a closed website. I have some invites if someone is interested and understands Russian.

Edited by charisma
  • Like 3

• But still some people here doesn't believe in us and are sceptical about our work.

two last links require membership on a closed website. I have some invites if someone is interested and understands Russian.

• As far as I was aware quite a few team members are keeping tabs on this, me included. So let me know who isnt a beleiver and I'll set them straight ^_^

• I know Clearing spends a lot of time on ttlg/darkfate, I wonder would he be interested in helping out over here.