The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Ulysses: Genesis by Sotha (2014/07/24)

Sotha

Rate Ulysses: Genesis  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Completed on the hardest setting with difficulty hardcore/hardcore with all objectives and nearly all the loot

An excellent and very different mission

The most difficult parts -

Getting out of the cell at the start - that took a fair bit of thinking

Getting upstairs in the mansion - there are one heck of a lot of people wandering about apparently at random

A couple of minor points related to the stats at the end

Knocked out - zero - but I knocked out three persons with the gas mines the inventor and the two ladies

Bodies discovered by the AI 13 but I don't know where that came from unless multiple finds are counted

One final point - I don't know if it was this mission or a TDM glitch or just one of those things but my screen after finishing the game was significantly lighter also the colour balance seemed to have changed

I just remembered I did have a crash but didn't notice the change before I restarted

I had to log off and log on again to get it back to normal

Edited by Oldjim

Just finished the mission

It took me just over 48 minutes and I only missed 200 loot. I had a lot of fun with the interesting mechanics you introduced.

I really loved breaking out of the cell and sneaking my way up through the mansion, lots of little hidden and interesting things to discover along the way. From a visual standpoint it was incredible, that steam area in the bottom was very well done and you can see the proper love and detail in all areas.

Thank you for the FM Sotha! Looking forward to whenever your next might be :)

Just completed it!

I must say, this was the first time I was properly scared in a while. I

was not expecting the enemies and getting around them proved very challenging in the best way. Solid mission! My only thought is that I wish there was more readables because I was engrossed in the story.

Hey, this is really cool. My favorite aspect is the atmosphere: the sounds and visuals, lighting, etc.

Those new fancy fans are cool. Of course the first thing I did was try to break them by jamming them with something. The fan stopped spinning, but it didn't break. The method out of the cell was indeed unique and more believable than the traditional loose bricks in the wall.

Those new enemies are interesting. They do not talk, they sound like machines, and they have spotlights to catch would-be thieves hiding in the shadows. That happened to me a couple of times.

The place had plenty of AIs walking around, but performance was perfectly smooth. It made the mission feel alive, rather than abandoned.

Thanks for another fun mission. I've already completed it twice.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Finished in 58 minutes... 8 stealth score, 15 loot short of max, and all objectives on hardest difficulty. Only had 1 body discovery somehow

the inventor was somehow discovered by an automaton even though I hid his body outside of its patrol and in the dark--probably should have dealt with him like I did the other two, gas mine and drag them to the captain's room to use my sword to kill them)

Very good. Everything is hinted at well. I liked the automatons. Very steampunk-borg like in their design. Some of the areas were rough to sneak through (trying to get upstairs...) but overall very well balanced. First time I actually used mines in Dark Mod, too, I'm sure. The gas mines worked well with the expert difficulty objectives.

Edited by GUFF

Played through again and this time without creating any major alarms

Stashing bodies

I found that the only place to safely stash bodies was in the laboratory area as anywhere else somebody walks past

Playing on Hardcore/hardcore is extremely difficult as you need to creep past anybody sleeping as crouching makes too much noise

Edited by Oldjim

An assassination mission done perfectly - I like the implications of some of the journals you read, what they say about the main character, and how it calls the central premise into question. Bravo! This really looked nice, too, and I liked how exploiting the AI's tendencies became more about stalking prey, rather than pure avoidance. Very Hitman-esque.

I'd have preferred more readables, but what little I saw was brilliantly written and wove themselves into the plot fairly well - favorite bit was the wife's journal.

Is this the start of a new series of assassin missions? If so, gimme more :D

Did I miss anything?

I heard the conversation in the main hall of the mansion, are there any others? I snuck up to the room but no others started.

EDIT: two small bugs I have found...

Some of the doors make no noise when you open them, though they make a closing sound. These are the doors on the second floor, in the steam/generator room.

In the barricks, where Denny sleeps, there's a pen on the table next to a candle. If you try to pick up the pen, it makes a HELL of a loud noise, which all of the AI anywhere near by will hear.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.