The Dark Mod Forums

My patches and contribution

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Btw, has had anybody time to look at the language patch mentioned in the previuos post?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Your updated patch (2014-09-27) had the original mainmenu_settings_language.gui in it (i.e. no Swedish), so I used the one from your 2014-09-01 patch. Is that ok or had you updated it more?

It works by the way. No more crashing or #STR_00000 on the menus.

If I want to add some of the missing Italian phrases do I just replace the English strings in all.lang?

Hmm I see the list in all.lang has diverged quite a bit from what's in italian.lang. Did you regenerate the individual language files from all.lang using the script?

Testing now. So far so good...

Your updated patch (2014-09-27) had the original mainmenu_settings_language.gui in it (i.e. no Swedish), so I used the one from your 2014-09-01 patch. Is that ok or had you updated it more?

Oops, my bad. No, there were no more additions.

It works by the way. No more crashing or #STR_00000 on the menus.

Cool.

If I want to add some of the missing Italian phrases do I just replace the English strings in all.lang?

Yes, and then you need to re-run devel/gen_lang.pl - sorry, but its part of the process to generate the .lang files.

Hmm I see the list in all.lang has diverged quite a bit from what's in italian.lang. Did you regenerate the individual language files from all.lang using the script?

Yes, but I might accidentily not have included them in the archive.

I'm currently adding Romanian, I'll send a new version (which will include the old one) shortly. Romanian needs more special characters (ă Ă and so on), so it will also involve font work. But getting it in the menu and adding the nec. ".lang" file is a first step so people can try it more easily and the translator can see the result directly.

Should I first fix the archive with the new ".lang" (only German update and Swedish) or should I roll everyting into one archive?

You did include an italian.lang, but it seems to have a lot more in it than all.lang. So I'm afraid if we regenerate the files from all.lang we'll lose a chunk of translations. I'll take a more careful look and find some examples.

I'm ready to commit the current patch as soon as we know what's going on...

Here is an archive with the added Romanian support. If you feel uncomfortable with that, it also contains the ".lang" files for the other languages, regenerated from all.lang. These are not impacted by the Romanian change.

Please tell me if you need something else or different:

http://swift-mazes.com/pub/tdm-i18n/tdm_swedish_romanian_german_2014-10-05.zip

You did include an italian.lang, but it seems to have a lot more in it than all.lang. So I'm afraid if we regenerate the files from all.lang we'll lose a chunk of translations. I'll take a more careful look and find some examples.

Ouch, that could only happen if someone edited italian.lang instead of editing all.lang (there is a warning atop the file to no do that, tho :)

But that must be a change locally in the TDM repository (which I have no access to), because the diff between the file released in 2.02 and the file I regenerated is only this:

te@te:~/games/tdm/strings$ diff -u old/italian.lang italian.lang
--- old/italian.lang    2014-04-25 21:05:56.000000000 +0200
+++ italian.lang	    2014-10-05 15:43:39.000000000 +0200
@@ -385,7 +385,7 @@
    "#str_02476"    "Svenska"			   // Swedish
    "#str_02477"    "T�rk�e"			    // Turkish
    "#str_02478"    "Bulgarian"			 // Bugarian (????????? - same exception as Russian)
-	   "#str_02479"    "Rom�n?"			    // Romanian
+	   "#str_02479"    "Rom�na"			    // Romanian (? is not part of ISO-8859-1, so we cannot show it)
    "#str_02480"    "Sloven�ina"		    // Slovak (� in ISO-8859-1 is ? in our font)
    "#str_02481"    "Sloven��ina"		   // Slovenian (southern slovenia) (� => ?)
    "#str_02482"    "Srpski"			    // Serbian (?????? - same exception as Russian)

With the romanian change, without that the diff is empty.

What happens when some of the strings are not in sorted order? Will the search fail? I spotted an example.

Obs added some menu options in May but changed the encoding so it didn't work. grayman fixed that, either by re-running the script or reverting the change. Neither of those things should have made them get out of sync though. And the omissions pre-date the 2.02 release anyway.

italian.lang has Obsttorte's extra menu options for 2.03, but all.lang doesn't have them. Ditto the 2.02 menu options for hearing and sight.

italian.lang has whole extra blocks of non-translated extra stuff that are missing from all.lang. This is true both of svn and of the 2.02 release. Example:

"#str_08629" "Burnt Parchment"

"#str_08630" "Creased Parchment"

"#str_08631" "Dirty Parchment"

"#str_08632" "Stained Parchment"

"#str_08633" "Wet Parchment"

"#str_08634" "Burnt Paper"

"#str_08635" "Crumpled Paper"

"#str_08636" "Dirty Paper"

"#str_08637" "Stained Paper"

"#str_08638" "Wet Paper"

"#str_08639" "Stained Note"

"#str_08640" "Map of Cellar"

"#str_08641" "Map of Church"

Do we need all.lang? Why not just use the individual .lang files? Having them in one place doesn't help keep them in sync. Anyone editing them still has to remember the sync the languages manually. Or does the script fill in any blanks when it exports them? If so, that could be what's causing the differences (i.e. it might not be a problem after all)

Do we need all.lang? Why not just use the individual .lang files? Having them in one place doesn't help keep them in sync. Anyone editing them still has to remember the sync the languages manually. Or does the script fill in any blanks when it exports them? If so, that could be what's causing the differences (i.e. it might not be a problem after all)

Yes, we absolutely need all.lang - it is in Unicode and contains the master source. The generated ".lang" files are just files in various encodings as TDM only supports 8-bit per-character. There is no real other way to have this working with the current engine.

Edit: And yes, the script fills in the blanks by falling back to english. That makes it possible for some languages to be only 90% or even less to be translated.

italian.lang has Obsttorte's extra menu options for 2.03, but all.lang doesn't have them. Ditto the 2.02 menu options for hearing and sight.

That would be the problem then - these strings should have been added to all.lang and the italian.lang regenerated from the script. Editing italian.lang will also likely destroy the encoding in this file, depending on your editor...

I have no idea how to make it more clear that the individual .lang files cannot/should not/must not be edited... :(

What happens when some of the strings are not in sorted order? Will the search fail? I spotted an example.

That should make no difference, keeping them in sorted order is just easier for humans. But if you see an example, please tell me. Maybe the script or TDM have a bug (although I think it unlikely).

The way to fix this is to add the extra strings from italian.lang to all.lang and re-run the script. (Unfortunately, I cannot do this, as I have no access to the latest italian.lang script).

Edited by Tels

I've found yet another missing German translation. New archive coming in a second.

Steve, if you send me the missing/changed italian strings, I add them to all.lang and re-run the script for you.

Edited by Tels

There don't seem to be any translated phrases missing. It's just untranslated stuff. Could it be that the perl script is generating the missing entries by copying the English strings?

Yes, that's how it works. :) Glad to have that sorted out :)

Cool. I've committed the Swedish patch in the meantime. And I'll add some of the untranslated Italian phrases to all.lang too.

Cool. I'll do some more work on the romanian integration, it needs ISO 8859-16 support and new font characters, too. I'll post here when I've got something more solid.

I've added more Italian. When you do your next tweak could you merge into this please? That way the new Italian lines will get into the new italian.lang too.

all.lang.txt

Thanx, merged :)

I've updated this archive:

http://swift-mazes.com/pub/tdm-i18n/tdm_swedish_romanian_german_2014-10-05.zip

It adds:

* Romanian in the GUI,

* your italian changes, plus a few more missing German translations, plus one fix that accidentily got reverted ("Sehr schwer; Schwer" in German)

* romanian.map (mappig from ISO 8859-16 to TDM charset)

* romanian.lang (stub, mostly in English)

Not done yet: Any font patches for the new 5 characters (Ș Ț đ ș ț) or characters that only Romanian uses so far like ă. For this I need to get back to font-patching and this is for another day. :ph34r:

The Romanian translator said he'll take a week or two, so we have to wait for this, anyway :)

I have no idea how to make such things but time permiting I could help you by translating to Greek if you want. Altho' I doubt we have many Greek players to be honest :P

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

I have no idea how to make such things but time permiting I could help you by translating to Greek if you want. Altho' I doubt we have many Greek players to be honest :P

Thank you for the offer! However, we do not yet have a greek font, and the engine itself would maybe also need some support for greek.

Since this is a lot of work, I'd love to see some basic greek translation first.

The players will follow, I'm sure. :) (I'm a bit biased having seen Herakules recently :D

If you translate a few strings of this file into greek, I'll see what I can do to add support for it :)

The strings under 7000 are the most important ones (menu entries). :)

http://swift-mazes.com/pub/tdm-i18n/greek.lang

You can send me the file via email (nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com), just edit it in whatever Editor you want, I'll see that I convert it to UTF-8 then. Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anderson has sent me an almost complete translation of TDM to Romanian! :wub:

Here is a the newest language patch, including romanian in the menu, the scripts and the romanian strings:

http://swift-mazes.c..._2014-10-17.zip

Steve, please apply. :)

Edit: This is a cumulative patch, it contains all the other changes (Swedish, german fixes). End of edit.

Edited by Tels

Ok will do.

I need to fix one of my Italian lines that I was unsure about so I consulted a native. Unless you plan more updates before 2.03 I'll try to figure out how to run a perl script...

Thanx. And if you need help, please just ask. The patch above contains already the generated language files, so there would be no need to run the script (unless you add the new line :)