The Dark Mod Forums

TG Fan Mission: Endless Rain (09/08/2014) by Skacky

Bikerdude

DGboRrE.jpg

image001.jpgimage005.jpg

image007.jpgimage016.jpg

Intro

Skacky's third large FM has arrived and will take you to the soaked rooftops of Stonemarket to steal a precious gemstone from its Warden. It is a loose sequel to Between These Dark Walls, and while there is continuity between the two, this mission can be enjoyed on its own.

There was a time when thieves and murderers strived as darkness ruled.

The heathens slept, dreaming their heretical way of life would last forever.

But then came the Master Builder, and with Him the light of justice,

And the miscreants were cast down to the Earth by his Holy Judgment.

-- The Book of the Stone

Download

Mirror #1: https://www.dropbox....s_rain.zip?dl=0

Mirror #2: http://www.southquar...ndless_rain.zip

Mirror #3: http://www.tafferspa...ndless_rain.zip

Info

• You will need to patch your copy of Thief Gold to 1.22 using TFix 1.20a, and it is recommended you make a clean install before playing.
  • Make sure you have New Mantle, Weather and Fogging activated. It is also also strongly recommend you disable any texture packs such as Thief Gold HD or the Enhancement Pack before playing this mission; the texture and object choice is deliberate and I will also not provide any support in case of conflicts or bugs with these packs,
  • Please note that this mission is resource-heavy so weak computers may experience slowdowns in certain areas!
  • FMSelector is the loader of choice for this mission but people who prefer Darkloader will have to do the following. To activate FMSelector, make a shortcut of THIEF.EXE and add -fm in the command line, and then launch it. Once you have set the paths you're good to go!
  • Beta-testers - Bikerdude, cardia, DrK, fibanocci, Fortuni, Nightwalker, Peter Smith, Squadafroin, Yandros

Have fun!

What's the story with Thief Gold being used rather than T2? I read a thread over on TTLG about someone producing a utility to downgrade T1/TG 1.2x to pure T1/TG or something like that... indicating engine differences have disappeared with the new patches.

Edited by jaxa

Skacky has an affinity for TG assets and has used that game as his base since he started mapping. Shadow Politics is the best example of this since it looks great with un-modded TG assets. He probably would prefer that none of the newdark stuff were in place and that the missions stay in their blocky pixelated glory. (And he's got a good enough eye for that look to make you agree. I was actually disappointed how Shadow Politics lost some vibe with newdark and texture packs, though bloom mostly made up for it.)

Yeah, newdark fiddles with TG in other ways like making the archers less intelligent (etc) so some folks are clamouring for a less drastic patch. I think the newdark author(s?) have caught wind of this and are planning fixes.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Drop whatever you are doing and play it already. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Blimey, welcome to forums mister. Its not every day we get a visit from the master thief himself!

But back on topic - There are a few master builders who's works are a shining beacon of what thief is, and I think its fair to Say Skacky is the master of this particular niche in the thief universe. For those of us who love exploring, we are a cult and Skacky is our messia.

Well if a blocky aesthetic is what he's going for, I guess you can't argue with him going with TG.

I never actually installed it (that I recall) -- I was always content with playing TDP -- although I bought a boxed copy around 2005 when I saw it in a shop for a bargain bin price, less than $5, and I thought it'd be a crime if I didn't buy it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just played through this on Normal last night and was totally wowed with the architecture! It's like a huge playground for thieves - a playground where men with swords try to chop you in half and you can fall to your death - but you know, still a place to climb around and "play". :P

I've got to play through it again on hard and expert but first I had a question for you dark radiant experts. Would a mission like "Endless Rain" be doable in the Dark Mod, with that same sort of scale and verticality, or would it be too difficult to optimize?

Edited by Morat

That's an open question. With LOD, the new Portal Sky, and some ingenuity you might be able to pull-off such a large mission and not have

it run terribly. I keep looking out for engine fixes like GPU Skinning so that less work and ingenuity would be required though...

You should definitely try Melan's mission "Penny Dreadful 2: All the Way Up", it's the closest we've come to such a feat.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just installed Tfix 1.20a, and copied over EP2.crf and that's it.

Tried playing this but I get an endless hiss hiss hiss hiss noise, I think it's supposed to be rain, but it's not playing right. Tried turning off eax but that didn't help.

Turned off OpenAL and it sounds fine now. Weird

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...