The Dark Mod Forums

Local Coop Games for the PC

STiFU

I had a lazy weekend, so I did some local coop with my neighbor. We played Hammerwatch and Gauntlet (yup, a remake of the original). They play pretty much the same, you hack and slay masses and masses of monsters and collect gold to buy upgrades. Difficulty is quite high for both, Hammerwatch especially so. It has this old school feel to it and by this I don't just mean the top down pixelated graphics, but also the way the game plays, with secrets everywhere and such. Gauntlet is missing some more upgrade variety though whereas in Hammerwatch, there are pretty many upgrades which gives it a little bit of an RPG feeling. And I am loving the mage type in Gauntlet. While the other classes are pretty limited in their number of moves, the mage can actually cast a lot of different useful spells and the casting works similar to the system deployed in Magicka but better tailored for the controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26sEwEwXFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOkKcZyA9Xs

Wow, this IGN review of Gauntlet actually doesn't sound too good. Still, me and my neighbor had a blast. Haha, funny how he mentions that the mage is pretty complicated to play and nobody would want to play him online. :D

Anyway, I recommend both these games for a relaxed afternoon with up to four friends. Do you know any other cool local coop games for the pc?

(Magicka is awesome too btw, but its simply a lot more enjoyable with keyboard+mouse combo, as you can cast spells better then, so that makes it unsuitable for local couch coop)

Not counting emulated games?

I've played old console games on a PC with friends on the couch lots of times.

Mario Cart is always the most fun for me.

Edit: The best legit PC coop game I think would be Monaco. Great for 4 people.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Playing games from the Rainbow Six series was always pretty funny, too. After a while you start talking in some strange sort of military dialect: "Tango, 2 o'clock on roof" etc... :)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Is Worms like Scorched Earth? I forget.

Anyway there's a 3D version of Scorched Earth out there that's fun and still hotseat.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Worms is not exactly coop. At least if you don't team up, which you can do of course. But a whole lot of fun indeed. :) I would recommend Worms Armageddon, IMO the best part of the series. Even still patched (and improved in many ways) by some guys from the community, 15 years after its release!

Edited by chk772

Playing games from the Rainbow Six series was always pretty funny, too. After a while you start talking in some strange sort of military dialect: "Tango, 2 o'clock on roof" etc... :)

Yeah, I know that from Swat 4. :D Also a pretty fun game and challenging. But both nothing for local couch coop, apparently.