The Dark Mod Forums

Interesting problem with custom inventory items

kingsal

Hello!

I am creating a scenario in which the player has an objective to pour a vial of laxative into a pot of soup.

Currently, I have the bottle of laxative set up as a custom inventory key and the pot of soup as a locked mover_button.

Essentially when the player "unlocks" the pot of soup with the laxative the change objective fires and a no frob volume prevents the player from interacting with the pot. The laxative "key" remains in the inventory.

This is obviously pretty messy. What I eventually would like to have is a custom inventory item that when frobbed on a particular item in the world (in this case the pot of soup) it fires its targets and removes the inventory item and/or reduces its count. Similar to a custom weapon.

I tried using the func_itemremover to remove the laxative "key" but it doesn't seem to work when I trigger it.

Any suggestions or links to information on this would be incredible helpful as I am pretty novice to TDM.

Thanks!

I've done such a thing in Old Habits 1. Check for the generator in the basement.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I tried using the func_itemremover to remove the laxative "key" but it doesn't seem to work when I trigger it.

func_itemremover is known to be broken. I plan to fix it for 2.03 if that helps.

If Obs' solution doesn't fit your setup for whatever reason let me know and I'll send you a 5-line script that'll fix it up for you in the meantime. The script method doesn't need ingenious re-use of doors and keys, you just add a frob_action_script to your bowl which checks whether the current inventory item is the vial, and if so, it would tick the objective and remove the vial. I have one already written that would do exactly what you want if you need it, I just don't have it with me right now on this computer.

Cool scenario by the way :)

LOL love the idea of the laxative. Can't wait to play it. lol

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thanks Guys!

Obs- I am playing through your map right now. Awesome work btw. I love the mood/ pacing and how you slowly introduce the player to world through readables. Placing them directly on doors is super effective. Once I've found the generator and understand what you've set up. I'll get back to you.

SteveL- Thanks! Would you mind sending that over? It would be cool to look at in addition to Obs solution. Much appreciated!

Venus- Me too! haha. I am still pretty earlier in the process. I am just blocking out my map and trying to solve all of my necessary objective situations as well as getting the general flow and feel down.

About the map: light spoilers that will probably change anyway:

I am attempting to developing a combined city/ mansion map. My temporary primary objective is to make your way into the wealthy district, steal a costume and party invitation from a nobleman, and take his place at the event (probably going to be mission #2). The idea being you need to give him an "excuse" not to show up. That's where the laxative or something comes in!

I have included some very early screenshots that are pretty spoiler free.

Image 1: An optional "target of opportunity" tavern in which the player must deal with a patron and bartender while other patrons regular visit the tavern as stops on their patrols.

Image 2: A gatehouse to the wealthy district in which the player must find a way to lower the drawbridge.

Image 3: Another "target of opportunity" where the player breaks into a black market inventor's shop to gather supplies. The player encounters several security measures, one of which is an electrified floor. Probably mandatory on hard.

I have some level design experience, but so far TDM has been great to work with! Thanks to the strong community. :)

post-35059-0-34690200-1412282664_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The basic light color and texture choice is fine, but there is definetely a lack of detail. But maybe you did not start with this, so don't take this as criticism.

Regarding your objectives. I've worked on a system that allows a Hitman like gameplay, so that the player is threated as a friend as long as he does not do anything bad. This may suit your mission. Didn't worked on it for a while now, but when the time comes where your mapping is mostly finished and you are heading to establish the gameplay, I will happely help you setting it up.

Good luck with your project. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Obs- Great! Yeah I would love to see what you've done there. I have something temporarily set up, but I'll ping you when the time comes. I agree, the map has very little detail. I'll commit to that once I've blocked everything out. This way I'll prevent a lot of art re-work if something changes.

Stumpy- Hello! I do have an objective attached to it. I did try something where the player removed the vial and drops it into the pot and once the item is within that volume, it fired the objective.. This solution felt pretty immersive but created some problems in that I don't use that convention anywhere else. IMHO, It seems to be more effective to have pot high-light and the player "unlocks" it with a custom inventory item "the laxative". Did I explain that right? Sorry I might be confused about what you're suggesting, haha.

Another question I came across:

I wanted to have anAI pick up the wine bottle (formerly the pot) and drink from it after the player puts the laxative in it.

Currently I have the AI move to the bottle location and play the bottle_pickup animation which automatically picks up the wine bottle. However, the AI sits during this animation which looks pretty funny.

Is there a way to play the standing animation use_right hand and then attach the wine bottle in the same fashion as bottle_pickup would? So the AI walks up to the bottle, plays use right hand, and the bottle attaches naturally?

Thanks for the help!