The Dark Mod Forums

Thief nostalgia trip - some problems

Thieving Barbarian

Having played TDM for quite some time, I decided to replay the first three Thief games again, after several years. So, I went ahead and downloaded a bunch of mods and fixes (TFix, HDMod, Tafferpatcher etc.; made sure I had the latest NewDark for some interesting TMA FMs). Now, I have them up and running, but I can't get the keyboard bindings work properly: In TG and TMA I have walk and run bound to W and Shift+W, respectively, but whenever I'm already walking forward, pressing shift stops Garret dead in his tracks, which sort of ruins the gameplay. It works I press shift first, but that's really awkward when surrounded by a bunch of guards and you have to scamper.

I don't remember if the original games were like this (I think not), so maybe this is something brought along by NewDark? Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on here and how to fix it? I'm running the games on Linux though WINE, but I don't think that's the source of the problem as the games run perfectly otherwise and every other keybinding works... Google didn't turn up anything, either.

I tried all the different keybind sets, but the problem persisted. I may have to do a clean install and check at what stage it stops working. I hope it's not Newdark, because some of the TMA fan missions that need it seem very interesting. There's the option of binding walk and run to a different key - most of the time you could just run all the time anyway, so binding walk to a separate key isn't a huge problem.

Hm, i just saw you're running the games in Wine, didn't read that before. That could well be the problem actually. From my experience, Wine does all sorts of weird stuff. That's why i never bothered to try and run my Windows stuff on Linux. It's just a huge PITA. But i guess that won't be of much help to you.

The first three Thief games run quite well on WINE (apart from this issue) - there used to be a problem with extremely low FPS a couple of years ago when I first tried replaying them, so I never got around to doing it again until now, and it seems that WINE has improved quite a lot in the meantime. I've been running Linux only for the past 5 years, and apart from games, I haven't really missed Windows at all - and now many of the games I used to play run quite nicely (though sometimes they need a bit of tweaking, still).

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to solve the problem, and posting this in case anyone else ever comes across it:

NewDark enables its own Run key, so if you just clear "Run Forward", it should work - it might be different in Windows, but at least on WINE it seems that if both Run Forward and Run are bound to the same modifier key, the system gets confused, and movement stops.

• Like 1

One thing you need to be aware of, the AI behaviour is hard coded into the engine and there's different behaviour between the original T1 Darkengine and the T2 Darkengine.

Newdark behaves like the T2 Darkengine.

It's a minor thing, for example in the original T1 zombies has a ranged attack where they would throw bits of goo at you if you were out of range, in newdark they this is missing, there may be other slight differences but this is one I noticed

Edited by esme

It's a minor thing, for example in the original T1 zombies has a ranged attack where they would throw bits of goo at you if you were out of range, in newdark they this is missing, there may be other slight differences but this is one I noticed

Interesting. I don't recall that - I have a distinct memory of forming a zombie maypole of sorts inThe Haunted Cathedral when playing the original Thief all those years ago: I shot a rope arrow at a wooden projection, ran around making all the nearby zombies come after me, after which I jumped on the rope and watched as the zombies went round and round in a circle under me, at which a chuckled a bit before proceeding to blow them to bits with flash bombs. I don't remember them throwing anything at me - or maybe I was sort of within range for the AI, though they couldn't get to me.